This assignment will support the implementation of the GEF funded “Promoting Carbon Reduction Through Energy Efficiency (EE) Techniques in Iraq” project. The main objective of the project is to promote low carbon development in Iraq through supporting the design of a regulatory framework for enhancing Energy Efficiency (EE) in buildings and the creation of an enabling environment for its operationalization. The development challenge which the project aims to address is the need for rapid expansion in the buildings sector, as part of the post-war reconstruction effort, while minimizing the load on the readily strained fuel-based electricity network. The business as usual scenario is that the development in the buildings sector will lead to higher GHG emissions.
The project’s theory of change relies on the assumption that the essential ingredients for enhancing EE in buildings are present in Iraq, but require (1) proper integration in the procedure followed by public partners due to lack of streamlined intra-government collaboration on EE and limited technical and administrative capacity; (2) a focal point with a trained team dedicated to promoting EE in buildings; (3) standards and guidelines for the interventions promoted and the ways to assess them; and (4) effective communication with private partners and end-users on EE practices and benefits. Hence, the project builds upon existing work and develops a national framework within which past, present and future EE-related policies become aligned, complementing Iraq’s efforts to reduce GHG emissions and bringing maximum benefit to the people of Iraq.
Duties and Responsibilities
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
The International Energy Efficiency Policy Expert will act as an international expert with the following responsibilities:
- Collect necessary data
- Assessment of data
The assessment will include reviewing policies, laws, and regulations as well as plans, standards of relevance to energy, buildings and energy efficiency building sectors.
- Developing draft assessment reports
Draft assessment reports on:
- Energy sector existing policies, legislations, legal documents, and quality standards
- Building sector existing policies, legislations, legal documents, and quality standards
- Energy Efficiency policies, laws, and regulations of relevance in buildings including preparing a list of the institutions involved in their development and enforcement.
- Undertaking of “the macro-economic benefits assessment” associated with the suggested regulatory framework for energy efficiency in buildings
- Analyse the costs and benefits of the suggested transition in buildings sector towards energy efficiency.
- Possible future effects of climate change on the buildings sector and how the resilience of buildings in Iraq to climate change risks can be strengthened
- Developing the final assessment reports
The final assessment and design shall respond to any comments from relevant public and private stakeholders as well as UNDP.
The consultant is also required to make him/herself available to attend remote/ virtual meetings / discussions via skype/ zoom or other relevant modality for planning meetings/ feedback meetings convened by Project Manager, head of the pillar, and the UNDP oversight team.
The International Energy Efficiency Policy Expert must be able and willing to collaborate and assist other team members.
The contract is effective from the date of signature by UNDP Iraq and the national consultant. Estimated number of working days is 25 extended over 5 months.
Required Skills and Experience
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Qualifications, skills, and professional experience of the International Energy Efficiency Policy Expert should include the following:
- Hold at least Master’s degree in engineering, energy policy or related fields
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience related to energy efficiency legislations, policies, regulations
- Experience in energy efficiency for buildings
- Experience in climate change impact on building sector
- Experience in MENA region in energy efficiency for building sector
- Previous work experience with UN agencies
- Excellent oral and written command of the English
- Knowledge of Arabic language
Important Note: following document are required for your application:
1. curriculum vitae(Cv)
2. Filled and signed letter of Confirmation of Interest.
3. Financial Proposal.