UNDP strives to have a workforce, which reflects diversity and gender balance, and applies an equal opportunities approach. UNDP does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS status. All selections are on merit.
The DAY-NRLM (Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Rural Livelihoods Mission) is the flagship program of Ministry of Rural Development, Govt. of India relaunched in 2016 for promoting poverty reduction by building strong institutions of the poor, particularly women. The programme creates and enables community owned institutions of women to empower and make them economically self-reliant by improving their agency to access a range of livelihood and financial services and maximize their resources for creating sustainable livelihood opportunities.
The state governments are mandated to set up dedicated Mission Management Units at the state, district and village/community level for the effective implementation of the NRLM scheme. The mission provides regular hand-holding support to SHG/federations for a period of 5-7 years. At the end of a fully implementation cycle the SHGs/federations are well prepared to become resource institutions at the community level for providing evidence and support to other social initiatives.
Karnataka State Rural Livelihood Promotion Society (KSRLPS)
The State Government is implementing DAY-NRLM scheme in phases through Karnataka State Rural Livelihood Promotion Society in the name of “Sanjeevini”. The mission statement of KSRLPS is: “To reduce rural poverty by providing gainful wage and self-employment opportunities through community institutions resulting in sustainable improvement in their livelihoods”.
Sanjeevini is a community driven and process-oriented programme. The processes include different activities such as awareness building, social mobilization, development of Community Resource persons (CRPs). Formation of CBOs, strengthening SHGs/ CBOs/federations/Livelihood Collectives, establishment of linkages and promotion of livelihoods. The conventional methods of monitoring focuses on physical, financial and logistic aspects of projects, but do not capture the processes of community perception, satisfaction with project services, inclusion and institutional dynamics. As the community processes do not conform to pre-set rules, deadlines, targets or blueprint approaches, a responsive and adaptive implementation is necessary.
It is in this context that the State government of Karnataka has partnered with UNDP to implement The National Rural Economic Transformation Project (NRETP) in Karnataka. NRETP proposes to implement higher order economic activities which are cross cutting in nature, for instance, the project design envisages that there will be an organic link between the model Cluster Level Federation (CLFs) and financial inclusion strategies, insurance and pension schemes, producer groups and organizations, product marketing and enterprise development. The financial inclusion strategy will also have a key role in financing of farm and non-farm enterprises. UNDP will be uniquely positioned to quickly transfer the technical know-how gained at the national and state level working across the country. The state SMMU will be fully synchronized with the National level team working at the center, important for better alignment of state priorities with those of the national programme while formulating the State specific poverty reduction action plans.
Under the scheme, UNDP is looking for a Technical Expert- Marketing offline to undertake the activities as provided below. The incumbent will be based at KSRLPS and will perform duties under the direct supervision of MD KSRLPS, Government of Karnataka.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the MD/ Any Other Official designated by MD the incumbent will focus on achievement of the following results:
- Prepare an annual action plan on marketing of SHG Enterprise products.
- Planning and executing a market analysis study to understand market response to current range of SHG products/product categories.
- Identifying scope for improvement in SHG enterprise products to meet market expectation based on the study outcomes. Identifying high potential products/product categories based on the study outcomes and prepare.
- Preparing market trends and forecast based on the study outcomes. Developing a marketing strategy for scaling up sales of SHG enterprise products.
- Work on creation of Brands required for marketing and promoting SHG products.
- Take lead in connecting with private firms to collaborate with the department in the process of creation of brands and marketing of the SHG products.
- Develop an eco-system of human resources comprising of functional experts and mentors in the state for supporting Branding and Marketing of SHG products.
- Coordinate oversee campaigns geared at promoting products. Coordinating efforts to ensure that campaigns are completed.
- Marketing of SHG products through variety of platforms, including print and social media.
- Researching and brainstorming each stage of the project. Delegating assignments to members of the graphics and advertising departments, as and when needed.
- Tracking changes in consumer engagement following the roll-out of each marketing campaign.
- Adhering to time and financial restrictions.
- Compiling reports detailing the effects exerted by each campaign, and sharing these with the stakeholders and KSRLPS.
- Evaluating and optimizing marketing and pricing strategies for SHG products.
- Developing content on improving packaging, labelling of SHG products that can be shared with and followed by SHGs enterprises
- Plan for activities which helps in increasing brand awareness of the SHG products among the public.
- Plan and prepare a budget plan required for Branding and marketing of SHG products.
- Preparing and presenting quarterly and annual reports to the stakeholders.
- Promoting the brands at trade shows and major industry and social related events.
- Any other task assigned by reporting officer.
Deliverables & Payment Schedules:
Deliverable target dates
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures to achieve specific goals.
- Ability to handle several different projects/tasks at one time, successfully complete tasks assigned, and meet deadlines
- Ability to scan the horizon and identify approaches and initiatives to bring into policy and programme design
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to generate commitment, excitement and excellence in others
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Sound Business knowledge and skills.
- Deep knowledge of marketing and branding concepts.
- Strong in communication and negotiation skills
- Data driven, open to learning and adaptable, should be willing to adapt to ground realities
- Ability to network with agencies and have experience of working for developing marketing strategies.
- Skill of managing a business, preparing business plans, evaluating financial viability and business plans, are key skills that are critical for this role.
- Ability to think out of the box and come up with innovative solutions to business challenges and problems.
- Should be interested to work with the rural poor to create a more inclusive society.
- Honest, fair and objective in work
- A Self-starter and a target-oriented person
- Willing to travel extensively in the field for 10-15 days a month.
Required Skills and Experience
Post-Graduation in Marketing, Entrepreneurship, any other related field from a reputed institution.
- At least 3-5 years of experience (after post-graduation) of working in marketing sector to promote products of micro-enterprises or Producer Companies or in the private sector in a business leadership role.
- Proven ability to develop brand and marketing strategies and communicate recommendations.
- Experience of providing business advisory services, developing forward linkages for businesses in the non-farm livelihoods sector
- Experience of managing /starting business and managing them for growth and profitability will be given preference.
- Demonstrable experience of project management and team management ensuring the delivery of high-quality program.
- Should have managed a team of at least 3-5 members.
Fluency in English and Kannada– spoken, read and write for all official communication is essential.
Duration of The Work:
The contract will be awarded for one year initially. Working days will be as per the State Government/KSRLPS policy.
In case of official journey within/outside the state, candidates will be entitled to reimbursement from KSRLPS. All official travel must be authorized and certified in advance by KSRLPS.
SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS:
Consolidated annual consultancy fees (Remuneration) of INR 5,60,000/- payable as per the deliverables and payments schedule mention above, upon submission of working progress report certified by the reporting officer.
- Contract will be administered by UNDP on behalf of the KSRLPS, Government of Karnataka.
- The consultant should report to the MD, KSRLPS, Government of Karnataka.
- All the logistic support related official travel will be borne by the KSRLPS, Government of Karnataka.
- Consultant will be entitled for 2 days leave per month (non encashable) Consultant will be entitled for 2 days leave per month (non encashable). The accumulated leaves will be forfeited on the termination/further extension of the contract period.
Personal CV indicating all past experiences from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least 3 professional references.
Evaluation Method and criteria:
Preliminary shortlisting would be done based on the following criteria:
- Educational Qualification 30 marks.
- Relevant Experience 40 marks.
- Interview for 30 marks
Those who obtain a minimum 70% of total 70 marks (Educational Qualification & Relevant Experience) will be eligible to appear for the interview.
Interview for the shortlisted candidates would be either conducted face to face in Bangalore or by telephone/over skype.
The contract shall be awarded on the merit basis.
Note: Please ensure that all the documents to be uploaded should be combined in a single PDF file before uploading as the system has provision of uploading only one document.
General Conditions for Individual Contract-