UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Nepal, UN Women focuses on strengthening women’s voice, choice, agency and security across sectors to advance women’s rights, provide space for women’s meaningful participation and to demonstrate tangible differences in their lives. Currently, UN Women Nepal is implementing its Strategic Note 2023-2027 that contributes to national priorities stated in 15th National Plan and United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) 2023-2027. UN Women Nepal’s work is also guided by international normative framework such as Convention on Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women, Commission on Status of Women, and Universal Periodic Review. The programme promotes national ownership, capacity development and institutionalization, inclusiveness, coordination and partnerships, and knowledge generation and management, and seeks to prioritize engagement with and support to key duty bearers who are responsible for advancing Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GEWE). The goal of the programme is to “achieve gender equality and social inclusion and empower women and girls in Nepal to realise their human rights.”
The key strategies to achieve the goal include: (a) normative support for the development, reform and repeal or amendment of discriminatory laws using a CEDAW lens; (b) providing technical support and integrated policy advice to stakeholders to implement gender equality policies and action plans; (c) building institutional capacities at federal and local levels to promote gender-responsive governance, rule of law, prevention of violence and delivery of minimum essential services through innovations, long-term trainings, peer learning and focused workshops; and (d) advocacy and social mobilisation with excluded and vulnerable groups to build alliances and mobilise political will to drive public support for GEWE.
Duties and Responsibilities
The objectives of this assignment are:
- To develop illustrations for social media, stories and knowledge products
- To develop graphics for social media, stories and knowledge products
- To develop layout designs for social media, stories and knowledge products
- To develop animations for social media and website
- Illustrations for social media, stories and knowledge products
- Graphics for social media, stories and knowledge products
- Layout designs for social media, stories and knowledge products
- Animations for social media, website
- UN Women will provide briefing and detail explanation, including guidance, of the kind of illustrations, graphics, animation and designs needed.
- UN Women will provide coordination support to link consultant with the relevant programme colleague to guide on illustrations, graphics, animation and designing.
- The consultant will be required to provide their own local communications such as SIM cards and mobile phone.
- It is mandatory for the consultant to participate in a UN security briefing and to follow UN security rules and guidance.
- It is mandatory for the consultant to follow UN security rules and guidance.
- It is the Consultant’s responsibility to arrange private insurance.
- The Consultant will be required to provide a Statement of Good Health, endorsed by a certified Medical Practitioner.
Assignment can take place at various locations countrywide, which will be noted in request for services. In case assignment requires a field trip to be undertaken, the consultant will be reimbursed standard applicable UN DSA rates and air tickets will be managed by UN Women via the most economical route. In case local vehicles need to be hired for transportation purpose, the consultant shall submit the receipts of the vehicle hire for reimbursement.
Modality and Schedule of Payment
The payment will be based on the agreed rate and made based on the submission/completion of quantity deliverables and upon quality assurance by UN Women. The services can only be used through issuance of ATLAS Purchase Order, based on agreed contract, every time the UN Women wishes to procure the service.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Past experiences of developing illustrations, graphics, animation and designing knowledge products
- Proven ability to draw dignified illustrations and graphics featuring diversity;
- Excellent drawing and designing skills, acute understanding of gender and social inclusion and intercultural sensitivity;
Required Skills and Experience
- Education: Technical course on developing graphics and designing.
- Experience: A minimum of two years of experience in developing illustrations, graphics and designing.
- Skills: Excellent command of illustration skills and designing.
Documents to Submit
Interested applicants should apply to this announcement through UNDP jobs site: jobs.undp.org
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications in one single PDF document: Applications without the complete documents will not be considered for further assessment.
- Expression of interest.
- Completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from https://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment/application-process
- Portfolio including at least two original illustrations, graphics and designs produced within the last twelve months.
- The financial proposal shall specify professional fee for each deliverable, including costs such as service charge, production costs of use of equipment as well as facilities and communication charges of phone, internet, and more. The financial proposal must be submitted in a separate page using the following template.
Amount in NPR
Design Books / Manuals / Reports per page (A4)
Multicolour original illustration
Newsletter (4 pages)
Multicolour layout design with text, photos, logos and existing illustration (A3)
Multicolour layout design with text, photos, logos and existing illustration (A4)
Multicolour layout design with text, photos, logos and existing illustration (A5 or smaller)
Multicolour infographics with 5 or less key information
Multicolour infographics with 6 to 10 key information
Multicolour infographics with more than 10 key information
Design of Social Media Post – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram format
Design of PowerPoint presentation with 6 or less infographics
Design of PowerPoint presentation with more than 6 infographics
Multi-color design of Flex, Flyers, Invitation card, props, photobooth
Multi-colour design of stationaries such as business card, envelope, letterheads, calendars
Develop 2D animation (per minute) inclusive of storyboard, subtitles, music, voiceover
Develop 3D animation (per minute) inclusive of storyboard, subtitles, music, voiceover
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.