The Adaptation Fund (AF)/UNDP Integrated climate-resilient transboundary flood risk management in the Drin River basin in the Western Balkans (Albania, Montenegro and North Macedonia) Project (Drin FRM Project) aims to assist the riparian countries in the implementation of an integrated climate-resilient river basin flood risk management approach in order to improve their existing capacity to manage flood risk at regional, national and local levels and to enhance resilience of vulnerable communities in the Drin River Basin (DRB) to climate-induced floods. The following results shall be achieved: (i) Improved climate and risk informed decision-making, availability and use of climate risk information;(ii) Improved institutional arrangements, legislative and policy framework for climate-resilient flood risk management (FRM), and development of climate change adaptation (CCA) and FRM strategy and plans at the basin, sub-basin, national and sub-national levels; (iii) Strengthened community resilience through improved flood management, through implementation of structural and non-structural measures and enhanced local capacity for CCA and FRM.
Outcome 3: Strengthened resilience of local communities through improved flood forecasting and early warning, implementation of structural and non-structural measures and the strengthened capacity for CCA and FRM at the local level will be achieved, among other measures, by construction of structural flood risk reduction measures in prioritized areas. In Montenegro, the priority area is Bojana River watershed that is already protected with the dykes system. In order to proceed with the civil works under Drin FRM Project, Main Design for Reconstruction of Embankments on right bank of Bojana River was completed. The Main Design represents comprehensive analytical and technical document/plan for upgrade, rehabilitation and expanding of the infrastructure for flood defense. Main Design recognizes 5 embankment sections along Bojana River and Vladimir Creek as its key tributary. Current state of the embankments is at moderate satisfactory level, however it is necessary to scale up the system to its full functionality, accompanied with proper safeguards and operation and maintenance plan. Taking into account bordering nature of Bojana/Buna River between Montenegro and Albania, official communication and coordinated efforts are expected from both riparins in order to manage flood risks in sustainable and long-term manner. Drin FRM Project will finance the execution of the civil works at the most critical/priority sections of the current dykes system.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of the assignment
To provide technical and engineering support for the preparation and execution of the civil works for structural measure: embankments reconstruction at the right bank of Bojana River at priority sections.
Under the supervision of UNDP Drin FRM Project manager and in cooperation with Project regional team and national beneficiary – Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, the consultant will perform following tasks:
Analyze the final technical solutions from Main Design for Embankments Reconstruction at the right bank of Bojana River and in coordination with Drin FRM Project team, national and local beneficiaries define priority civil works to be executed.
Prepare tender dossier for execution of the civil works, in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures, as well as national legal requirements and best international practices and standards. Steer the application process and act as key specialist for any technical/engineering clarifications. The consultant will take part in evaluation of offers.
Prepare Terms of Reference for supervision of the defined civil works, in accordance with national requirements and appropriate engineering practices for building/reconstructing similar structures. Steer the application process and act as key specialist for any technical/engineering clarifications. The consultant will take part in evaluation of offers.
Act as internal quality control specialist during the execution of the works and liaise with selected vendors for civil works execution and supervision on regular basis, through offsite and field visits. Inform regularly Drin FRM Project team on work progress, any deviations and appropriate mitigation measures.
Advice on the implementation of the corporate environmental and social safeguards and propose functional operation and maintenance of the built structures, in accordance with relevant documents as part of Main Design.
Assure technical and engineering inputs for official bilateral communication between Governments of Montenegro and Albania, in order to confirm implementation of the civil works as per bilaterally endorsed Main Design for Embankments Reconstruction at the right bank of Bojana River.
Prepare periodic and final reports in order to summarize tasks performed, lessons learned and recommendations for the successful implementation of similar works.
Timing and travel: The Consultant will be engaged under the Individual Contract. The engagement will be in total 90 working days in the period 15 February – 15 December 2023.
During the contractual period, at least 16 field visits will be organized and up to 40 days will be spent in Montenegro, dominantly civil works sites on Bojana River, Ulcinj Municipality.
Delivery of outputs
The outputs will be delivered in following schedule:
February - June 2023
June – October 2023
Outputs will be delivered in Montenegrin and English.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN/UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure, as well as conflict resolution skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced professional and/or academic qualifications in hydro-engineering or related disciplines;
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience, with proven record of the works in climate resilient flood management projects;
- Experience in 3 similar projects in last 7 years; preferable in the Western Balkans region;
- Experience and in-depth knowledge of civil works design and implementation for flood protective systems in accordance with best engineering practices;
- Proven experience for implementation of social and environmental safeguards and efficient operating and maintenance protocols for the hydro-technical structures;
- Experience in working on infrastructure projects funded/implemented by UN, EU, World Bank, IFIs would be considered as advantage;
- Advanced computer software literacy;
- Knowledge of English and local language is required.
Criteria for selection:
Combined Scoring method will be used. When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as: (i) responsive, compliant, acceptable, and (ii) having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- Technical criteria weight - 70% (Background and education 10%; Relevant previous experience 20%; Substantial knowledge/Required competencies 30%; Required language 10%);
- Financial criteria weight - 30%.
Only offerors obtaining a minimum 490 points for technical criteria will be considered for the financial evaluation. For more information on procurement methodology for Individual Contractors, please refer to Procurement Notice.
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications by February 2, 2023 by using the Apply now button. The application should contain CV. Please note that UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents into a single file.
Only the short-listed applicants will be contacted and requested to submit a letter of interest including a price quotation indicating the lump sum (in EUR) requested for the work envisaged in the section "Description of Responsibilities".