Ethiopia has demonstrated successive, rapid and strong economic growth in the past decade, with average growth rate of 10% that led to poverty reduction significantly. Building on the successful implementation of the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), I&II, Ethiopia has developed the Homegrown Economic Reform Programme (HGER), that aims to address structural issues and sustain a rapid and inclusive economic growth setting the country on a path to prosperity.
One of the strategic initiatives in tandem with the interventions is the establishment of an Innovative Finance Lab (IFL), based at the National Bank of Ethiopia, the IFL has three pillars, namely, Technical Assistance Facility, Enterprise Financing Facility and the Knowledge Sharing Unit. With broader objective to spearhead thought leadership and advocacy for innovative and inclusive finance for sustainable development; the Lab will focus on MSMEs development and financing.
Considering this, UNDP Ethiopia intends to recruit a full time Development Finance Intern under the overall guidance of the Team Leader, IET Unit and direct supervision of the IFL Manager, The Development Finance Intern provides support to the CO and IFL operations performing a variety analytical research ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Development Finance Intern promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.The Development Finance Intern works in close collaboration with the IFL, Operations, Programme and projects staff in the CO and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Programme Specialist, the Development Finance Intern shall perform, inter alia, the following tasks:
Knowledge Management and Communication
- Prepare relevant communications materials (brochure, newsletter, success stories etc.)
- Assist in developing and disseminating IFL Knowledge Products
- Provide research, writing and editing support on issues related to the lab’s work
- Support the online Community of Practice
- Preparation of inputs for reporting, including reporting to higher level management of the iFL and the IET Unit
IFL Website Content Management and Expansion
- Draft, design and implement IF website update and overhaul.
- Expand IFL website to cover additional focus areas and success stories.
- Support updates of IFL’s website as required.
- Collaborate on the development and execution of online content (images, infographics, videos, blogs etc.) and campaigns developed across social media channels.
Research and Data Management
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects; active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization for innovative finance and inclusive business thematic areas;
- Undertake research on related donors initiatives and inclusive business activities by the private sector;
- Support communication, advocacy and outreach activities for their implementation in line with the respective guidelines of UNDP;
- Manage files and online database of related documents in a structured way.
- Thorough analysis and research of the role of innovative and alternative finance and enterprise growth, focusing on good practices and lessons learned that enhance inclusive enterprise development and growth;
- Conduct research and support preparation of high-quality policy and programme guidance material for fields such as innovative financing mechanisms, impact investing ecosystem and inclusive business models;
- Analysis and synthesis of proposals on the areas for support and interventions within these thematic areas;
- Conduct the necessary internal procedures related to designing, drafting, editing and reviewing concepts notes, knowledge products and presentations;
- Contribute to the facilitation of partnerships and regularly covering industry related stories and their development impact through briefs and blogposts;
- Participate in meetings and perform other programme implementation support tasks as required
- The more specific focus will be decided in consultation with the intern taking into account his/her skills development interests.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to receive / integrate feedback;
- Works collaboratively with team members by sharing information openly and displaying cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external partners;
- Positive and results-oriented attitude.
- Good writing and researching skills.
- Strong analytical aptitude, communication and presentation skills.
- Good organizational, time management and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work flexibly and meet tight deadlines.
- Attention to details and proven ability to work independently and effe
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s in economics, management, business administration, international development, international relations, political science, economic development;
- Demonstrated interest in the position, students in their last year of Master studies, and internship must start within one year after Master's graduation;
- Prior research and data analysis experience preferably in international development and economic analysis is valuable;
- Proven experience in research and analysis of investment trends and landscapes, private sector development, alternative/inclusive finance ecosystems and/or innovative financial tools and mechanisms is an asset;
- Experience on sustainable development, innovative and alternative finance, SDG financing is an asset;
- Experience in drafting and finalizing high quality materials for internal and external partners including proposals and work plans, concept notes, technical and financial reports is an asset;
- Understanding of Micro, Small and Medium (MSME) segment and inclusive market development is beneficial.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel etc.);
- Social Media account management and content development skills are desirable
- Verbal and written proficiency in English is required;
- UNDP internship programme provide a monthly Stipend.
- All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
- Interns must present proof of medical insurance converage in order to be eligible for the appointment;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship;
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- Additional information regarding the UNDP Internship Programme may be obtained at http://www.undp.org/internships.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.