Job Code Title: Programme Officer, Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE)
Pre-classified Grade: SB 4 Step 3
Supervisor: Portfolio Manager (PM), Women’s Economic Empowerment and Sustainable Livelihoods (WEE & SL)
Duty Station: Islamabad
UN Women is embarking on implementing a national project “Empowered Women, Resilient Communities” aiming to create an enabling environment for women and girls to participate in the economy, including as entrepreneurs, and access social protection services and financial services for improved and sustainable livelihoods.
UN Women aims at recruiting a Project/Programme officer to support the implementation of its activities related to Women’s Economic Empowerment and Sustainable Livelihoods Portfolio in general and the project “Empowered Women, Resilient Communities” in particular. The Project/Programme Officer based in UN Women country Office Islamabad will assist in ensuring effective delivery of the WEE&SL programme by supporting in all aspects of Program Implementation such as planning; maintaining coordination and strategic partnerships, knowledge management, reporting and effective monitoring in accordance with UN Women’s rules and regulations.
The Project/Programme Officer will keep a close liaison with provincial offices for ensuring adequate exchange of information, facilitating the timely execution of project/WEE programme workplan and furnish required details as and when required by Portfolio Manager WEE&SL.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- The Program Officer will be responsible for assisting/supporting the Portfolio Manager in the following key areas of the program;
- Support in the formulation of programme strategies and implementation and monitoring of the programme activities related to WEE & SL unit.
- Administrative and programmatic support to the “Empowered Women, Resilient communities project”.
- Support in building and maintaining strategic partnerships with key stakeholders and implement resource mobilization strategy of UN Women Pakistan, WEE&SL AWP 2021 with guidance from Country Representative, Deputy Representative and in cooperation with UN Women
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation, programme reviews and annual reviews with the government and other counterparts to assess programmes/projects and to report on required action and interventions at the higher level of programme management.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verifying compliance with approved allocation, goals, organizational rules, regulations/procedures, donor commitments, standards of accountability, and integrity. Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management and stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide support to formulation of programme strategies and implementation of the Annual Country workplan focusing on achievement of the following results
- Provide effective support to management of the UN Women WEE programme
- Close coordination with Communication dept in UN Women Pakistan for the adequate and timely provision of data for effective communication/visibility of WEE & SL programme on multimedia platforms (print and electronic).
- Support preparation of project development and Implementing Partners’ selection documents support the respective processes at the Country Office level for ensuring efficiency.
- Provide effective operational and administrative support and contribute towards efficient financial administration
- Provide support for preparation of quarterly reports and donor reports, focusing on results, output and outcomes
- Provide support in formulation of programme strategies and implementation of the Country Annual Work plan focusing on achievement of the following results
- Support presentation of background information for implementation of UN Women WEE & SL programme including drafting of project documents, annual work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements.
- Follow up and coordinate with provincial programme teams on performance indicators/ success criteria, targets and milestones, preparation of donor reports, quarterly and annual reports
- Prepare concept notes, letters, proposals and project budgets as and when required
- Support PM in management of programme activities and ensure effective implementation and monitoring of WEE &SL programme
- Support preparation of project development and Implementing Partners’ selection documents
- Arrange and manage workshops and other events related to communication support for WEE & SL programme
- Support to enhance coordination between UN agencies, public and private sector organizations at the Federal level to improve women’s access to economic opportunities.
- Support coordination with other UN Women programmes to deliver on UN Women annual workplan
- Provide effective operational and administrative support and contribute towards efficient financial administration
- Assist PM in managing the programme budgeting and financial monitoring
- Support effective management of programme’s finances/budget in ATLAS
- Assist PM in managing human resources of the program as per UN Women rules and regulations
- Support PM in developing procurement plans for the projects and programmes
- Assist PM in coordinating the exchange of information among the programme partners
- Support missions and subcontracted program activities
- Provide required support in organizing/conducting program activities
- Document programme activities and manage office records
- Maintain the programs documents in coordination with the Knowledge Management Unit
- Support other programme-related activities as required by the programme management
- Provide effective support to management of the UN Women WEE &SL programme
- Support Programme team in processing the contractual agreements for WEE & SL programme
- Support PM on managing partnerships related to programme initiatives including Government (Ministry of Finance, Planning Commission, Ministry of Law, Justice & Human Rights, National Commission on the Status of Women, Pakistan Bureau of Statistics, etc), CSOs and UN agencies.
- Provide regular support on timely preparation & execution of program approved work plans
- Provide substantial inputs for the preparation of quarterly and annual reports and work plans
- Support the functioning of project offices in Punjab, Balochistan, KP and Sindh to ensure programme delivery
- Support enhanced coordination between UN agencies, IFIs, CSOs, public and private sector organizations to promote WEE & SL interventions in the country
- Support coordination with Pakistan Bureau of Statistics and National Commission for the Status of Women on sex/gender data coordination mechanism,
- Collect and gather required information, data for program activities/initiatives throughout the programme implementation and monitoring phase
- Supporting coordination with other UN Women programmes and UN Agencies as part of OPIII to facilitate WEE in the country.
- Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Identify sources of information related to policy-driven issue and provide synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked WEE programme goal
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Organize trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
- Support the development of WEE &SL knowledge products
- Work plans, project monitoring and donor reports
- Budget revision and monitoring sheets
- Concept notes/briefing and other knowledge products.
- Meeting/workshops/events reports, minutes of the meeting.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNWOMEN;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of programme, managing data and reporting.
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems
- Good knowledge of Results Management Guide and Toolkit
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm and in control even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in social sciences or relevant fields
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level.
- Experience in collaborating and relationship building with international or donor organizations will be an asset.
- Ability and willingness to accept and manage multiple tasks with efficiency with own initiative and without supervision.
- Knowledge and dedication to the UN principles required; experience of working with governmental bodies as well as civil society organizations is a must, along with management advisory services and hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web-based management systems.
- Excellent English drafting ability and Documentation Skills.
- Knowledge of ATLAS system will be considered an asset.
Fluency in Urdu and English.
Application: All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
HEC Attested degrees are a prerequisite for employment at UN. During the recruitment process candidates may be required to
present HEC attested degrees.
Foreign Qualified Candidates: Foreign degree holders shall be required to (i) Present a verification/certification letter from the
university verifying the degree & student enrollment, or (ii) Foreign degree Equivalence Letter from HEC.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need. If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)