United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the development arm of the United Nations. Present in 170 countries with over 17,000 people, UNDP works on the world’s biggest problems: extreme poverty, climate change, good governance, renewable energy, crisis prevention, and women’s empowerment, among others.
We are leveraging the power of digital to propel all people forward, starting with digital initiative development, scaling innovation, and communicating this organizational change internally and externally. Digital technology is one of the most fundamental drivers of change this century. Digital not only provides new opportunities and challenges for development, but it is also fundamentally changing the context in which development is taking place. Since the launch of its first Digital Strategy in 2019, UNDP has been on an ambitious transformation journey to harness the potential of digital technology for development. We are now in the next phase of our digital transformation, implementing the Digital Strategy 2022-2025, which puts forth a vision to create a world in which digital is an empowering force for people and the planet.
The Chief Digital Officer at UNDP is leading this effort to embed digital technology in the development projects we implement, supporting government partners to build inclusive digital ecosystems and transforming the organization internally to enable these changes. The CDO is a transformation team within UNDP tasked with the responsibility of implementing the Digital Strategy by building the required programmatic (planning and implementation of development projects to support government partners) and internal capacities at the country, regional and global level
Please note that the start date is negotiable. Please read the instructions carefully to complete your application.
Duties and Responsibilities
The interested candidate will work in one of the work streams mentioned below. Please indicate in your application which workstream (maximum 3) you have the most expertise and interest in . Indicate your interest in 3 areas using the airtable indicated under "Application Process."
Strategic Area 1. Inclusive Digital Transformation
Support Governments to lead the development of their national Digital Transformation strategies, including assessment of the country’s digital readiness, project management and operational implementation with specific countries.
Support Governments to lead the development of their national Data strategies and data governance frameworks, including project management and operational implementation with specific countries.
Support the ongoing development of products, tools, and solutions to empower governments to implement practical initiatives that are inclusive of the whole of society.
Support the translation of strategic direction and business objectives into holistic change strategies.
Support the work in making Digital, including Data, capacity building resources more accessible and usable for governments.
Support the shaping of local digital ecosystems to ensure a rights-based and inclusive approach to digital development within and beyond countries.
Support the implementation of inclusive, equitable and secure digital & data public infrastructure through the whole-of-society transformation approach to tech layers, including the systemic role of digital Public goods, robust accountabilities in the governance frameworks around digital public goods, and the community engagement to catalyzing innovation and safeguards of the digital public infrastructures.
Strategic Area 2: Insights, Views and Advocacy
Support the global positioning of UNDP’s thought and practice leadership, incl. engagement in various alliances and networks.
Support in primary research and/or content review on digital topics such as inclusive connectivity, digital inclusion, ethical technology, etc.
Stakeholder mapping on the above topics at the global/regional/local level to understand the landscape both internally and externally
Knowledge management by collecting and disseminating digital-related thought pieces produced across the organization
Internal coordination on thought leadership work with other UNDP units and provide substantive inputs as appropriate.
Support advocacy by developing digestible content in support of social media assets, blogs, talking points, briefing notes, etc., in close collaboration with the comms team
Other tasks as requested by the supervisor of the workstream area.
Strategic Area 3: Strategic partnerships
The intern will be working on one or more partnerships area based on his or her background: UN systems and Member States, donor engagement, private sector.
Keep track of partner engagement by attending meetings, following up on agreed actions, updating CRM (Customer Relationship Management) system with recent developments, etc.
Research into new potential partners, including technology companies, foundations, non-profits, alliances, etc.
Support partnership development by drafting concept notes, proposals, pitch decks, project documents, memorandum of understanding (MoU), outreach materials and other documents.
Mapping of global/regional/local partner ecosystem
Coordinate with other UNDP units, such as BERA (Bureau for External Relations and Advocacy), and Regional Bureaux, that would be relevant for partnership engagement.
Provide support for country offices that request partnership-related service.
Strategic Area 4: Product Management
Support in building product plans/roadmaps with the relevant UNDP stakeholder/sponsor of the digital product.
Get access to industry best practices and learn our unique product development methodology.
Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to scope, design, concept test and help drive innovative solutions and features.
Provide responsive product support to relevant UNDP internal clients.
Assist in the development of materials to communicate progress to UNDP stakeholders.
Attending product review meetings, keeping accurate notes and ensuring the next steps
Strategic Area 5: Future Smart UNDP
Work on business process redesign to ensure corporate processes enable digital programming at UNDP.
Support the management and coordinate the content maintenance of UNDP’s digital guides webpage together with stakeholder across UNDP.
Support the development and delivery of a digital-skills programme for all UNDP personnel.
Support the management of a global UNDP digital expert community: engagement, coordination and events
Contribute to the design of UNDP’s digital capacity footprint and support parts of the subsequent implementation, with emphasis on HR aspects, such as job descriptions, org model / operating model considerations and business processes.
Help different bureaus respond to and embrace market, regulatory, and process changes triggered by emerging digital technologies.
Design and deliver some webinar ‘masterclasses’ on digital and data skills to expose UNDP personnel to new thinking and knowledge.
Support the activities to make UNDP ”data driven organisation”.
Other tasks as requested by the supervisor of the workstream area.
Strategic Area 6: Communications
Support the communications team with planning and production of compelling content for communications channels like social media, newsletters, blogs and internal UNDP platforms
Support with research and mapping of key media outlets, influential potential content partners, and trending topics in digital & technology
Support with the organization of webinars and events
Note-taking and assistance with capturing lessons-learned to inform the development of templates, guides and SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) on good communication practices
Support the strategic planning of communication campaigns, including UN (United Nations) international days and priority UNDP Digital projects or initiatives
Other tasks as requested by the supervisor of the workstream area.
Strategic Area 7: Business Operations (People Operations and Procurement)
Assist the Operations Unit in completing Procurement and Recruitment exercises while tracking its progress
Support the implementation, monitoring and reporting of the Procurement Plans, monitor progress and make suggestions for overcoming bottlenecks;
Assist the Operations and Programme Units in the organisation of meetings, workshops, travel, and other such events
Assist Chief Digital office team in ensuring compliance with Procurement and Recruitment policies
Draft and update the team's best practices to develop and drive new projects to improve operations.
Strategic Area 8: Digital Strategy Implementation
Provide front-office support to the Chief Digital Officer and his Special Assistant through strategic management of the Chief Digital Officer’s internal and external engagements.
Support the drafting of speeches and briefs on UNDP’s digital support to governments for the Chief Digital Officer as necessary.
Conduct research on key digital topics, analyze information and synthesize into a clear summary for Chief Digital Officer and other UNDP senior leadership.
Analyze the progress of UNDP’s Digital Strategy implementation through rigorous analysis of quantitative and qualitative data
Evaluate monitoring and reporting processes within the Chief Digital Office and propose improvements in their design and implementation processes
Propose and pilot improvements in cross-functional coordination and collaboration within the Chief Digital Office to enhance efficiency and effectiveness.
- Achieve Results: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
- Database management skills.
- Detail-oriented, preferably with previous administrative and office management experience.
- Eager to learn new things and gradually adapt the theory into practical work.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to deliver in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities simultaneously, mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands.
- Ability to collaborate with and achieve actionable results
- Excellent ability to multi-task in a high-demand and fast-paced work context
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Experience
- Candidates must meet one of the following educational requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as a master’s programme, or higher);
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
(c) Have recently graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation;
(d) Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program.
- Interest/Experience in one of the workstream areas is desirable.
The application should contain:
- Proficient in written and spoken English. Knowledge of another UN language would be an asset.
In case an applicant is successfully selected, s/he will be requested to provide electronic versions of:
- Letter from his/her university confirming current enrollment and graduation date.
- Letter of recommendation from a professor.
- copy of his/her most recent school transcript.
- copy of passport.
- Visa copy- If the candidate is located in the USA (United States of America)
- completed the UNDP internship application form.
- Signed UNDP Internship Agreement.
- Medical Certificate of Good Health.
- Copy of Medical Insurance
UNDP Terms & Conditions for Internship
- In accordance with the UNDP Internship policy, UNDP interns are eligible to receive a monthly stipend, with the rate that varies depending on the duty location. The stipend will be paid monthly, and part-time /Remote internship arrangements are prorated accordingly. UNDP Internship Policy
- The monthly amount of the stipend for remote internships will be based on a standard global rate applicable for all remote internships. The amount of the stipend for in-person internships will be set for each duty station. The stipend will be paid on a monthly basis and will be pro-rated for part-time internship arrangements.
- Where an intern is financially supported by an institution, government or third party, UNDP will, subject to the rules of such institution, government or third party, pay the intern the difference, if any, between the external financial support provided and the applicable UNDP stipend.
- Except for the stipend, all other expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring the government or institutions.
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship.
- Interns will accrue combined sick and annual leave at the rate of 1 ½ days per month, which will be prorated to the nearest half day for part-time internships. Any accrued leave days not used by the end of the internship will be forfeited. Any unjustified absences during the internship period exceeding a total of nine days or as prorated for part-time internships, will be deducted from the monthly stipend.
- The intern must provide proof of enrollment in a health insurance plan.
- Interns are not considered staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity.
- Interns will need to use their own laptop/equipments
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we can ONLY contact successful candidates
UNDP Internship Policy
Send your queries to Join.Digital@undp.org lease allow 2 business days for the team to get back to you