UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action, and peace and security.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern will work with the Operations team of CO-Nigeria, supporting these key functions. The Operations team is situated in Abuja. The intern will learn about the dynamic functions of the UN, the collaborative work among UN agencies, operational processes, and their importance to programmatic delivery, and learn how the interaction of operations and programme together achieve programme delivery.
Under the overall supervision of the UN Women Nigeria CO Operations Manager, the intern will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Finance Function support: Filing of finance documents, scanning and uploading of all financial documents to the electronic filing system, preparing UNDP payment schedule, supporting finance processes.
- Procurement support – support with procurement processes for the offices and for Programme delivery. The intern will learn about UN Women’s procurement processes, Micro-purchasing, RFP, RFQ, ITB, and the use of the e-procurement system. The intern will assist in updating UN Women’s vendor roster
- UN Common Services and Joint Operational activities – support in common services and joint operations collaborations among the UN agencies in Abuja.
- Administration – support as required in other administrative areas including hardcopy and e-filing, developing/populating an e-registry system in collaboration with the operations team.
The purpose of the Internship Programme is to provide students, individuals who are enrolled in a mandatory national service programme, and recent graduates from diverse academic backgrounds exposure to working with gender equality issues and a first-hand experience with the day-to-day working environment of UN Women
Interns will get to understand the policies and procedures of UN Women and gain experience providing operations support to UN Women programmes and personnel.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf
Required Skills and Experience
1. Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
2. Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent);
3. Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation; or
4. Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertakes the internship as part of the program requirements
5. Be enrolled in a mandatory national service programme of which the internship may form a part;
Interns who are not in receipt of financial support from other sources such as universities or other institutions will receive a stipend from UN Women to partially subsidize their basic living costs for the duration of the internship.