The UNDP Accelerator Lab (AccLab):
Accelerator Labs (AccLabs) is one of the world’s largest and fastest learning global network on development challenges. There are already 91 labs set up in 115 countries and are embedded within UNDP’s global architecture and country platforms. The AccLabs use innovative approaches like sensemaking, exploration, solutions mapping and experimentation to identify the development challenges and prioritize the most effective solutions along with surfacing insights and learning on what works best. Accelerator Lab in Samoa was set up in October 2020 and aims to serve the four small islands developing states (SIDS) - Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa and Tokelau.
About the Internship:
The triple planetary crisis of climate change, bio-diversity loss and pollution is an immediate and existential threat for the Pacific Island Countries and Territories.
There is an urgent need to invest in resilient management systems, mobilize a cohesive and active ownership among its communities on integrating and embedding sustainable and disaster risk resilience practices and the traditional role of being stewards of the Blue Pacific and of our natural resources.
Robust data collection using technology and subsequent training to create knowledge sharing systems for aligned climate resilience efforts are the key enablers. The CI Design Studio will unlock the above enablers and anchor the process for Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa and Tokelau and support government and multiagency cooperation on triple planetary crises response.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Exploration and Solution Mapping, the interns will provide essential collective intelligence support to the overall delivery of the AccLab Annual Work Plan to contribute to high quality learning cycles.
The AccLab Interns will work in close collaboration with the Accelerator Lab team in the MCO on a parti time basis to expand and make known the learning reflections and AccLab MCO deliverables to other UN agencies and external partners and stakeholders.
Location of Internship and Work arrangements:
UNDP Samoa Multi Country Office Apia, Samoa
Telephone: +685 23670 (ext:66)
Interns will be required to work remotely with flexible hours or on a part time basis only unless required otherwise by the AccLab for on-site and field work.
The AccLab will cover all project site visit expenses. The intern will receive a monthly stipend for the duration of the part time internship.
Duties and Responsibilities
Internship Description and Outputs:
Working under and reporting to the Head of Exploration and Solutions Mapping as the immediate supervisors, the Interns will be assisting the AccLab team in Samoa in testing and prototyping its Collective Intelligence (CI) Design Studio experiments. This internship will be involved in the testing, prototyping and presentation of lessons learned from implementation to the present status of the CI Design Studio test plans. The internship will be on a part time basis only.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The interns will be required to work and collaborate as peers in a team and are expected to achieve the following tasks:
1. Horizon scanning and intelligence for the Lab:
- Assist the AccLab in researching specific thematic areas under biodiversity to better understand the scope of the collective intelligence prototypes.
- Assist the AccLab in compiling and presenting relevant information on biodiversity and its interconnections to food security and economic livelihoods in presentations, infographics, data visualizations etc.
- Assist in developing and populating a prototype IAS data dashboard repository to further efforts in designing an inclusive and accessible knowledge management platform
- Conduct the testing of the various prototyping methods of crowdmapping invasive alien species in all the different test plan iterations.
- Problem solve with the AccLab team to understand any teething challenges of the agile learning on the go prototypes.
- Attend all capacity building sessions and trainings on Invasive alien species to build capabilities for the prototype tests.
3. Working Out Loud:
- Assist the AccLab team in presenting results of test plans to identified community members for participatory decision making.
- Assist in creating and building a repository of public relations communications for use in the AccLab blogs and UNDP communications strategy.
Achieve Results: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work.
Think Innovatively: Offer new ideas/ open to new approaches, demonstrate systematic/ integrated thinking.
Learn Continuously: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning.
Adapt with Agility: Adapt processes/ approaches to new situations, involve others in change processes.
Act with Determination: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously.
Engage and Partner: Is facilitator/ integrator, bring people together, build/ mainatin coalitions/ partnerships.
Enable Diversity & Inclusion: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making.
Cross- Functuonal & Technical Competencies:
Business Direction & Strategy
Business Acumen: Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome.
Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context or responsive to a stated need.
Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results.
Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Required Skills and Experience
- The intern must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program in a field related to environment, climate, or sustainable development.
- No years of experience is required.
- Fluency in English and Samoan both written and verbal.
- Interns are also expected to be technology savvy and digitally literate;
- Any professional experience in the climate change space, policy programming or international development will be an added advantage although not strictly required;
- Training and research experience in sustainable development, particularly with a focus on biodiversity in developing countries, is an advantage.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply;
- Only Samoan nationals are eligible to apply:
- The intern shall not communicate with any person, government or other entity external to UNDP any AccLab documents/information related to ongoing project development guidelines for projects made known to the intern by reason of his or her association with UNDP AccLab except as required by this contract or upon written authorization by UNDP.