We are seeking an ethousiastic Communication and Social Media Intern to assist us with creating appealing and creative digital content for UNDP's various social media platforms.
UNDP is the UN Development Programme and works in some 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. UNDP helps countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results. In 2017, UNDP is continuing to work to support the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the 17 new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), as they help shape global sustainable development for the next 15 years.
In 2019 UNDP launched its new People for 2030 strategy guided by the vision to:
- Build a “One UNDP” culture and employer brand that generates continuing fitness for the future characterized by high performance and employee engagement, creativity, collaboration, and continuous improvement, attracting and retaining talent,
- Ensure that managers at all levels are oriented towards, and capable of, leading and developing personnel, and managing performance effectively – and fully own their part of People for 2030,
- Incorporate a talent perspective into all aspects of management and organisational development,
- Develop organisational and digital capabilities that enable personnel to strive for excellence and adapt to future challenges,
- Transform HR into a function that drives organisational effectiveness, capability and value generation in partnership with managers – in contrast to the cost-based and administrative focus of the past.
One of the key People for 2030 objectives is to enhance UNDP’s capacity to attract, assess and select people with the right skills, knowledge, and attitude. To achieve this, UNDP is developing strategies to attract and select the best talent, including offering a seamless candidate experience and positioning the organization as an employer of choice.
Composed of 28 staff members and part of the UNDP Bureau for Management Services, the UNDP Talent Acquisition and People Programmes (TAPP), was established by UNDP’s Office for Human Resources in Copenhagen. The TAPP unit is responsible for: 1) HR service delivery to people programmes, including the JPO Programme as well as other young talent programmes, and 2) talent acquisition strategies for UNDP, including employer branding and outreach, assessment and selection frameworks, on-boarding, as well as recruitment compliance and monitoring.
Training and Learning
As a full member of the TAPP/ JPOSC team, the intern will:
- Participate in in-house training opportunities as applicable
- Learn the structure, mechanisms, policies, and practice areas of UNDP
- Participate in dedicated trainings and UNDP online learning tools
- Strengthen his/her effective writing and visual communication skills
- Participate in working groups
Expected starting date
The selected candidate is expected to start his/her internship mid-August, 2023, but flexibility to have a two-day remote/in-house training before this would be appreciated.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the authority of the TAPP Manager and the supervision of the above-mentioned staff member, the Communication and Social Media Intern will assist in the following duties and responsibilities:
Communication and Social Media (85%)
- Assist in the daily management of the UNDP Careers Social Media platforms, posting and answering queries and questions when needed (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn & Instagram).
- Collaborate in the planning of the content strategy for UNDP Careers social media outlets.
- Collaborate in identifying testimonials and relevant digital assets (pictures, video) coming from UNDP staff.
- Assist collecting data and analyzing the impact of the content strategy from all social media outlets according to the key performance indicators (KPIs) for each network.
- Support reporting to external partner on communications results.
- Conduct research for various best practices depending on projects at hand.
- Support to any ad hoc activities related to the TAPP activities.
- Achieve Results: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Required Skills and Experience
Interns are selected on a competitive basis. UNDP seeks applicants who exhibit an interest in the field of development and in our mission. UNDP internships should not exceed 6 months. Exceptionally, internships may last 9 months when they are being completed for academic credit.
Applicants to UNDP internships must at the time of application meet one of the following academic requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a university degree (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above and, if selected, must start the internship within one year of graduation.
Ability to summarize a large amount of information and translate it into a visually compelling product for a public audience. Good working knowledge of social media community management and experience in content creation. Knowledge of analytical tools. Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software.
Fluency in English is required. Good working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an asset.
Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud Apps (InDesign, Illustrator or Premiere Pro) will be an asset.
Financing: UNDP interns are provided with a monthly stipend dependent on duty station, among other factors. The stipend amount varies from duty station to duty station and whether the Internship is in person or from a remote location. The amount can also vary depending on if a selected candidate receives financial support from a nominating institution, related institution, or government. For Copenhagen, this stipend is an equivalent of $1000 per month if conducted in person in Copenhagen.