The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and Empowerment of Women (UN Women) grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women promotes the human diversity, non-discrimination and inclusion of all minorities in all the socio-economic field seeking to contribute to the empowerment of people vulnerable to human right violations.
Unit/ Project background:
The work of UN Women in Moldova is guided by its new Country Strategic Note 2023-2027, aligned with the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework for Moldova (2023-2027), UN Women Global Strategic Plan, National Programs and Strategies and aims to contribute to the gender-responsive implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The Strategic Note focuses on four main areas: 1) Ending Violence against Women; 2) Women’s Leadership and Governance; 3) Women’s Economic empowerment and 4) Humanitarian and Peace development nexus and UN Coordination on Gender equality.
The announced internship position comes as a measure to enable people belonging to groups vulnerable to discrimination to get the necessary skills to further defend and promote their own rights, and to contribute to UN Women work, specifically under the area of Ending Violence against Women. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Women Programme Analyst, the intern is supposed to assist on a part-time basis in daily implementation of the tasks, presented below.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide logistical support in organizing events, including by preparing and distributing event invitations and receiving event confirmations, etc;
2. Catalogue, gather and systematize various information within the area, including by using Excel and other relevant tools;
3. Provide assistance with communication with partners (developing invitations and keep tracking confirmations);
4. Support communication actions under the area (prepare posts for social media etc), including design of knowledge products;
5. Provide assistance with translations of texts (Ro-Ru/Ru-Ro). English is an asset;
6. Other duties as assigned by Supervisors.
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards other.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
The intern must meet one of the following:
- Completion of secondary education;
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Good communication skills (written and oral) in Romanian, Russian, English are required; Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
- UN Women will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest;
- Selected applicants must provide the internship application, two letters of recommendation, proof of health insurance and school enrollment, passport, and visa (if applicable).
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
Internship package and working conditions
The interested candidates shall submit the following package of documents in Romanian, Russian or English:
- Letter of motivation;
- 1- 2 recommendation letters (ex. from supervisor, teacher, colleagues or any other person who can describe your competencies);
- Information on the additional / special needs the person might have such as reasonable accommodation at the workplace, transportation, food or any other specific needs.
Please combine the above into one single PDF document as the system only allows to upload one document.
Note: The intern will be provided with a fully equipped workplace.