BackgroundThe United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. On the ground in more than 170 countries and territories, we offer global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations.
At UNDP, external and internal communication—nationally, regionally and globally—is critical to achieving both development results and business objectives. Skillful communication broadens the impacts of new policies, helps governance reforms take root, and attracts and fosters strong partnerships. The Office of Communications at UNDP is at the forefront of advancing online communications and outreach within the organization.
The Digital Communications team works closely with the other teams in the Communications group to ensure that the tone and visual representation of UNDP branded products are consistent. Reporting to the Photo-Video Specialist, the Intern will support the team conceptualizing and creating video and photo assets for social media, campaigns, events and other promotional purposes.
Duties and ResponsibilitiesThe interested candidate will:
• Research content and produce material for use in visual storytelling using video and photos; • Produce video and photo material to be used on web and social media platforms; • Provide assistance in curating, cataloging and presenting stories, images and videos in UNDP’s DAM (global photo library) and related online systems and platforms; • Add captions and branding to video content; • Assist the Video-Photo Specialists in weekly content tasks; • Support the bi-weekly reporting of photo and video content featuring the SDGs by gathering and inputting data.
Competencies• Excellent photo and video camerawork and operation, as well as editing software tools and file sharing; • Excellent writing and editing skills; • Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task; • Attention to detail is crucial; • Responsible, responsive, and enthusiastic; • Interest in global issues and the United Nations; • Must be able to work in a multi-cultural environment and be aware of political sensitivities.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a graduate school Programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree Programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent); (c) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
Web and social media experience are an asset.
Language: Fluency in written and spoken English; Spanish and French desirable.
Must be available at least four (4) days a week.
The application should contain:
• Brief Cover Letter (in English) stating interest in and qualifications for the post; • Current and complete CV in English; • Please group all your documents into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document.
Shortlisted Candidates must submit the following documents:
• Official letter from the University confirming enrollment in a graduate-level degree Programme; • Proof of medical and life/accident insurance valid for the location in which the internship will be carried out. Selected intern must have medical and life insurance.
In case an applicant is successfully selected, s/he will be requested to provide electronic versions of:
• Letter from his/her university confirming current enrollment and graduation date; • Copy of his/her most recent school transcript; • Copy of passport; • Completed UNDP internship application form; • Signed UNDP Internship Agreement; • Medical Certificate of Good Health; • Copy of Medical Insurance
UNDP Terms & Conditions for Internship
• Any individual hired under these conditions are not staff and therefore, are not covered by UN Staff Regulations and Rules • UNDP internship Programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship • All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution • UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship • The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed • The intern must provide proof of enrollment in health insurance plan; • Interns are not considered staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity • The internship period shall not be foreshortened for the purposes of allowing an intern to apply for a position.