UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. UNV works with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). UNV headquarters are in Bonn, Germany. UNV has around 150 staff members at headquarters, and over 10,000 UN Volunteers deployed in the field in 2021. At the country level, UNV Field Units interact with UN entities to, strategically and meaningfully, integrate volunteerism into the implementation and delivery of their mandates. As part of this process, UNV works with UN entities to identify opportunities where volunteers add specific and unique value to development programmes and peacekeeping missions.
UNV Field Unit in Egypt is operating under the Regional Office for Arab States in Amman, one of the six regional offices UNV has. UNV Egypt has social media accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Reporting to the UNV Country Coordinator, the intern will be supporting the UNV field unit presence on various social media platforms and help create and publish creative content. The intern will be instrumental in developing and implementing an engaging communications and social media strategy and action plan, increase number of followers and verify accounts, when possible. Additionally, will regularly analyze and report on the activity on UNV communications corporate channels.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote UNV’s mandate and objectives of work on its corporate communications channels.
- Develop a creative and content driven social media plan for the duration of the internship. The plan should include daily posts, use of multimedia, engagement of influencers, calendar of events including commemoration of UN Days, promotion of UNV services such as the online volunteering, etc.
- Develop human interest stories to showcase UN volunteers’ impact on the achievement of SDGs and national development plans.
- Prepare press releases, op-eds and writing pieces promoting volunteerism and the status of volunteerism and civic engagement in Egypt.
- Research and suggest innovative audiovisual promotional and advocacy materials (gif, videos, digital info graphs, podcasts, etc.) to create engaging content (stories, contests, campaigns, etc.) on UNV web and social media channels.
- Support in writing, editing, translating communications materials related to UNV work, such as newsletters, flyers, posters, info graphs, etc.
- Assist in the organization of UNV led events including the International Volunteer Day (IVD) and co-organized events such as the International Youth Day and the UN Day.
- Attend public events and activities promoting volunteerism in the country organized by stakeholders and partners.
- Collect data and prepare reports and concept notes related to civic engagement, volunteerism, social inclusion and other related issues.
- Provide support to UNV projects implemented with partners when necessary.
- Draft and prepare programme-related correspondences and provide administrative support to the UNV Program Assistant when needed.
- Any other related tasks to support the visibility of UNV Field Unit locally, regionally and globally.
Furthermore, interns with UNV are required to:
- Be flexible, creative and initiate new ideas to the supervisor promoting volunteerism.
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark the International Volunteer Day (IVD) and/or other UN international days).
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the country.
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities.
The following standard competencies apply to all UNDP interns:
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, creativity and initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
Required Skills and Experience
Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as a master’s programme, or higher);
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
(c) Have recently graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation;
(d) Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program.
- Fluency of both Arabic and English languages.
- Have volunteering record in managing social media platforms and in organizing events.
- Excellent writing and editing skills in Arabic and English.
- Ability to think creatively and work logically and precisely with attention to details.
- UNDP will provide a stipend in the amount of EGP 2,953 monthly in accordance with the provisions of the UNDP Internship policy.