Application procedure: To apply, you need to submit the following documents via email to email@example.com no later than August 14, 2023:
The Regional Programme on Local Democracy in the Western Balkans2 (ReLOaD2) is a continuation of the EU-UNDP partnership and previously supported initiative – ReLOaD1 implemented in the four-year period 2017 - 2020. ReLOaD2 continues to strengthen participatory democracies and the EU integration process in the Western Balkans by empowering civil society and youth to actively take part in decision making and by stimulating an enabling legal and financial environment for civil society. The programme will be implemented in the following IPA beneficiaries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), North Macedonia, Kosovo*, Montenegro, and Serbia. Working across the region, ReLOaD2 will enhance capacities of (local governments) LGs and civil society organisations (CSOs) to engage in productive partnerships and contribute to improved service delivery and realisation of local priorities in line with development strategies. ReLOaD2 in BiH selected 13 partner LGs through competitive process with focus on institutionalization of interaction between LGs and CSOs. It will incite partner LGs to use public funding for CSOs in a transparent and development-oriented manner, recognising local needs and embracing a project-based approach. Also the Action will promote youth engagement and support implementation of youth initiatives and will work on improvement of their economic perspectives in partner localities. The project duration is 48 months (2021 – 2024).
Selected UN Community Volunteer will be placed in the premisses of Municipality of Vitez. He/she will be assisting the assigned person in Municipality of Vitez to enhance the relationships with the civil society organisation (CSO) and citizen / youth groups to understand their challenges as well as assist the project to implement the activities at the community level. Additionally selected UN Community Volunteer will be working on in-creasing the visibility of CSO projects funded under ReLOaD2 grant scheme in local media and will assist CSOs in their better positioning in local communities. All of this is in line with ReLOaD project activities which are planned to be implemented in Municipality of Vitez.
This is an excellent opportunity for enthusiastic young people2] to be engaged in local institutions through United Nations volunteer contracts (UNV) on the basis of a six-month internship /practical work experience, with an appropriate amount of compensation for living expenses. The volunteer will receive certificate of completed practice/internship upon completion of the internship, to have better chances for employment.
* For the European Union, this designation is without prejudice to position on status and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence. For UNDP all references to Kosovo shall be understood in the context of the UN Resolution 1244/1999.
 Bihac, Centar Sarajevo, Gacko, Gradiška, Grad Istocno Sarajevo, Goražde, Mostar, Novo Sarajevo, Prijedor, Prozor Rama, Rudo, Ugljevik i Vitez
 Law on Youth of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Article 4, Paragraph 1. "youth" or "youth" are persons between the ages of 15 and 30;
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Project Manager and assigned person for cooperation with ReLOAD2 project from Municipality of Vitez, the UN Community Volunteer will:
- Provide assistance to assigned persons for cooperation with the ReLOaD2 project, to successfully complete all duties and task related to ReLOaD2 and other initiatives under UNDP Social inclusion portfolio;
- Assist Municipality of Vitez in improving visibility of various ReLOaD2 activities at the local level (Public Calls, Forum for citizens initiatives, Youth dialogues, VET trainings etc.) to expand partnerships between LG and CSO especially youth CSO and youth representatives at the community level;
- Assist in executing public calls for CSO projects in the Municipality of Vitez;
- Provide admin support on field necessary for organization of meetings, trainings, workshops conducted by ReLOaD2 project in the Municipality of Vitez;
- Provide support to selected CSOs in improving their visibility at the local level;
- Initiate and organize regular meetings with representatives of CSOs with a focus on advertising and the inclusion of beneficiaries in implemented projects
- Identify examples of good practices and CSO activities that should be better promoted at the local level and, in accordance with the above, develop human stories and publish them on social networks and other local media, etc;
- Assist in promoting ReLOaD2 best practices at the community level;
- Occasionaly prepare reports on performed activities;
- Any other tasks within the scope of work as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Furthermore, UN Community Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Provide annual and end of assignment self- reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- Developed and regular maintaining of timeline of youth and civic activities / initiatives in Municipality of Vitez;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
The general impact of this assignment will be reflected in the increased capacities of the community members, especially youth for better local communication and cooperation.
Specific outputs should be created through:
- Established active and timely communication between various participants in the process of organizing the local community;
- Increased cooperation and strengthen partnership among community leaders at the local level;
- Assistance provided in organizing regular meetings within the Forum for Citizens Initiatives, Dialogue for Youth, representatives of CSOs and Municipality of Vitez;
- Good practices and tools are regularly shared with stakeholders across the Municipality of Vitez
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the activities participated in and capacities developed;
- Age, Gender, and Diversity (AGD) perspective is systematically applied, integrated, and documented in all activities throughout the assignment;
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for peace and development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
- Integrity: demonstrate the values and ethical standards of the UN and partner LG in daily activities and behaviours while acting without consideration of personal gains; resist undue political pressure in decision-making; stand by decisions that are in the organization’s interest even if they are unpopular; take prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour; does not abuse power or authority;
- Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, mixed-gender environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity; sensitivity and adaptability to culture, gender, religion, nationality and age; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of UN operations; ability to achieve common goals and provide guidance or training to colleagues;
- Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
- Planning and organizing effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities;
- Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations; ability to communicate and empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts and local interlocutors coming from very diverse backgrounds; capacity to transfer information and knowledge to a wide range of different target groups;
- Flexibility: adaptability and ability to live and work in potentially hazardous and remote conditions, involving physical hardship and little comfort; to operate independently in austere environments for protracted periods; willingness to travel within the area of operations and to transfer to other duty stations within the area of operations as necessary;
- Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards UNDP and partner LG mission and vision, as well as to the UN Core Values.
Required Skills and Experience
Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
- Secondary school education or equivalent. University diploma is considered as an advantage;
- Fluency in one of the official languages of people in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Good communication skills.
0 years (no experience needed)
The selection of candidates will be carried out in two parts:
- Technical evaluation (review of CV and motivation letter)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The maximum number of points that a candidate can receive based on a CV is 30, and 50 based on a motivational letter. The minimum number of points that a candidate must have in order to be invited to an interview is 40.
- Only candidates who meet the above criteria will be considered for an interview.
- The final decision on the ranking of the candidates will be made based on the sum of the points from the technical evaluation and the interview, whereby the points obtained during the technical evaluation were worth 80%, and the points obtained at the interview 20% of the total number of points.
- The candidate selection process will be led by the office of UNV, UNDP in BiH and representatives of the Municipality of Vitez.
To apply, you need to submit the following documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 29, 2023:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)/Biography in languages of people in Bosnia and Herzegovina containing:
- Contact information (e-mail, phone number); date of birth; Information about acquired education; Information about previous volunteer work; Information about previous work experience, including unpaid engagements, internships, work practices etc.; information on computer skills; Any additional information that the candidate considers valid.
- Motivational letter in languages of people in Bosnia and Herzegovina (250-500 words) explaining: why do you want to participate? How this internship/practical experience can be beneficial for you and for local community? All other information that the candidate considers important.
- Copy of most recent diploma;
- Confirmation of unemployment status (provided by the Employment Office);
- Proof of residence in Municipality of Vitez
When sending an application by e-mail, in the subject of the message it is necessary to state " Prijava za angažman mlade osobe u Opcini Vitez". The application should be in one of the official languages of people in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Conditions of Service for UN Community Volunteers
- The duration of the assignment is indicated above with the possibility of extension subject to availability of funding, operational necessity and satisfactory performance. However, there is no expectation of renewal of the assignment.
- The current Conditions of Service for national UN Volunteers will apply to UN Community Volunteers as an interim measure until a full review of the national Conditions of Service is undertaken, with the following modifications as per Interim Policy Note on UN Community Volunteers.
- UN Community Volunteers are expected to be recruited locally and work within their community, they are therefore not expected to travel to the duty station and are not eligible for a settling in grant. In addition, UN Community Volunteers should not require reintegration back into their locales upon completion of their service. Therefore, there is no entitlement to a resettlement allowance.
- The applicable volunteer living allowance is provided monthly to cover housing, utilities and normal cost of living expenses. Life, health and permanent disability insurance are included.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, age and culture.
 Law on Youth Organizing of the Republic of Srpska, Article 2: "Youth and Young people" defined persons age from 16 to 30