UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace, and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. UN Women provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women in South Sudan supports the government to implement commitments to international normative standards on gender equality and women’s human rights. The new UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) for 2022-2026 and the corresponding UN Women South Sudan Strategic Note (2022-2026), defining UN Women’s strategic engagement in South Sudan, focuses on strengthening the national structures and mechanisms for gender mainstreaming in policies, plans, and budgets; supporting efforts to prevent and eliminate violence against women; promoting women’s economic empowerment; promoting policies and government investment in women’s empowerment and resilience building in the context of climate change, humanitarian crisis as well as threats to peace and security. UN Women works with a range of stakeholders in South Sudan including the government, civil society and women’s organizations, youth, UN agencies, and donors, to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Currently, UN Women in partnership with the Ministry of Gender, Child and Social Welfare and the Office of the Vice President (Gender and Youth Cluster) is developing a programme that aims at promoting the social economic empowerment of women and adolescent girls in South Sudan. The project called “South Sudan Women Economic Empowerment Project (SSWSEEP)”, will be implemented in 10 states and 2 administrative areas in South Sudan focusing on promoting women’s access to economic opportunities, protection, and access to GBV information and services and also strengthening the capacity of the Ministry of Gender, Child and Social Welfare to effectively implement its mandate of promoting Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment. The project has four (4) components, namely: a) Community Empowerment Support to Women and Girls, b) Establishment of the Women’s Entrepreneurial Opportunity Facility (WEOF), c) Scaling up services for Survivors of GBV and d) Institutional strengthening focusing on the Ministry OF Gender, Child and Social Welfare, Gender and Youth Cluster, and related national institutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and supervision of the Procurement Specialist, the Procurement Associate provides procurement services ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Procurement Associate promotes a client, quality, and results-oriented approach in the Unit. The Procurement Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme, and projects staff in the South Sudan CO to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery. The Procurement Associate works in close collaboration with the staff under the SSWSEEP, Project PMU, Implementing and Donor Partners, government agencies, technical advisors and experts, Regional Office, other UN entities, and civil society to successfully implement the activities. The Project Finance Analyst will undertake the following functions and responsibilities:
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN Women’s rules, regulations, policies, and strategies;
- Provision of inputs to the CO Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and Logistics in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
2. Supports procurement processes for CO, SSWSEEP, and at the request of other Agencies focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Provision of inputs to preparation of procurement plans for the office.
- Support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs, or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids, or proposals, and their preliminary evaluation.
- Preparation of Purchase orders and contracts in and outside Quantum ERP, preparation of Recurring Purchase orders for contracting of services, vendor creation in Quantum ERP, maintenance of the filing system in the procurement Unit, and Buyer profile in Quantum ERP.
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Provision of information for preparation of cost-recovery bills in Quantum ERP for the procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
3. Contributes to the implementation of sourcing strategy focusing on the achievement of the following result:
- Update the rosters of suppliers.
4. Ensures proper control of CO Assets focusing on the achievement of the following result:
- Preparation of inventory reports;
- Implementation of Inventory and physical verification check-ups in the CO and projects.
5. Ensures provision of logistical services focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Purchase of tickets and PO preparation; the arrangement of shipments; vehicle maintenance organization; conference facilities arrangements.
- Timely conducted DSA, Travel Agencies, vehicle maintenance, hotel, and conference facilities surveys.
6. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encouraging the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision-making.
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by the deadline.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is a pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open-minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, be aware of unconscious bias, and confront discrimination.
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases:
- Analyses general information and selects materials in support of partnership-building initiatives;
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing.
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis:
- Research best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods, and procedures:
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it to work assignments;
- Promoting Organizational Change and Development.
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change:
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and propose solutions;
- Design and Implementation of Management Systems.
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems:
- Uses information/databases/other management systems;
- Client Orientation.
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships:
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management.
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information:
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practices in accountability and results-based management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Secondary Education with specialized training in procurement. University Degree in Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement;
- 4 years of relevant procurement and administrative experience is required at the national or international level;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling web-based management systems;
- UN Women / UNDP Procurement Certification is desirable.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in operations support including human resources, procurement and general admin at the national or international level with Secondary Education, or 2 years with a bachelor’s degree.
- Experience working in procurement, logistics and administration;
- Good working knowledge of information technology with experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Experience with ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft, Oracle, or QUANTUM ERP, is an asset;
- Experience in working at the country level with UN or other International Organisation is an asset;
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work. Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully;
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform;
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement. Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products and services;
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency;
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards a common goal.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-P11-Personal-History-Form.doc. Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits employ, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity, and organizational need.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks.