UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action, and peace and security.
The UN Women Country Office (CO) Kazakhstan is based in Astana. CO programming includes support to the Government, civil society organizations, and other partners in the development and implementation of innovative approaches aimed at achieving gender equality and women’s empowerment. In Kazakhstan, UN Women supports efforts of the national partners and UN agencies in the implementation of gender equality commitments in compliance with international standards, the UN human rights conventions, resolutions, and agreements ratified by the Republic of Kazakhstan. It provides strong and coherent expert and technical support to the implementation of gender equality’s priorities in national and UN efforts and building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors. It strengthens coordination on gender equality and women’s empowerment programming, enhancing cooperation in a framework of the Agenda for Sustainable Development 2030.
Reporting to the UN Women Kazakhstan’s Country Representative/Head of Office, the Communications and Advocacy Analyst plays a vital role in shaping and delivering the organization's messages, engaging stakeholders, building relationships, and maintaining a positive image of the organization. She/He will be responsible for assisting in the planning, development, implementation, and monitoring of the CO’s communications and advocacy strategies to increase the visibility, strengthen cooperation and awareness of the UN Women’s triple mandate’s implementation, as well as advocate for gender equality and women’s empowerment issues in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The Communications Advocacy Analyst works in close collaboration with the Programme, Projects, Operations teams, experts, and consultants of the CO, HQ/Regional communications teams, staff/personnel of other UN Agencies, the National Commission for Women and Family Affairs and Demographic Policy under the President of Kazakhstan, the Government, representatives of ministries and state bodies, media, civil society, multilateral and bilateral donors, diplomatic communities, International Financial Institutions, academia, private sector, youth organizations and others.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develop and coordinate communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans
- Prepare and conduct communication needs assessments for the CO, including projects, programmes, and corporate change initiatives.
- Identify target audiences, craft key messages, select appropriate communication channels, and plan effective communication activities.
- Collaborate with diverse stakeholders to develop comprehensive communications strategies aligned with UN Women's goals.
- Manage annual partners’ perception surveys about UN Women’s work and apply the results in the CO communications and advocacy strategies and plans.
- Analyze requirements and synthesize proposals for elaboration of communication strategies ensuring gender perspective.
- Integrate communication, advocacy, and outreach strategies into proposals for projects/programmes and other initiatives.
- Develop, coordinate, implement, and monitor the implementation of the CO annual communications and advocacy plans, as well as publications plans.
- Coordinate and implement in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate, global, regional, and local campaigns and special events ensuring their compliance with the corporate identity and priorities.
- Design, coordinate, and lead implementation of joint UN communications activities in the framework of the Extended and UN Gender Theme Groups and the UN Communications Group, which are relevant to the UN Women’s mandate.
- Provide advice to the Representative and the CO team on advocacy and communication issues.
2.Coordinate and implement the development and dissemination of communication and advocacy materials in the country and/or region
- Oversee the quality and compliance of the CO media, knowledge, promo, and branded products with the UN Women corporate knowledge management, branding, media, communication, and other guidelines.
- In cooperation with the CO, RO, and HQ teams, identify opportunities to engage in dialogue with the public or/and target audiences and motivate them to engage with CO, using creative products and methods.
- Develop and disseminate high-quality communication materials, including briefing materials, audio-video-multimedia products, designs, animation, videos, press releases, human-interest stories, talking points, and draft messages in line with UN Women’s corporate guidance.
- Monitor and analyze how media picks up CO’s communications products and recommend to the management to adjust products and dissemination strategies if relevant.
- Proactively identify opportunities for dissemination of UN Women multimedia and knowledge products, activities, approaches, and platforms and engage partners.
- Translate and disseminate corporate advocacy and approved knowledge materials for launching and implementing flagship initiatives and campaigns.
- Manage the translation/ adaptation/rewriting of information received, printing, and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials.
- Follow guidelines from HQ and RO and regularly advise the CO team on the communications standards and requirements.
3.Provide relevant inputs to UN Women’s regional and global communication campaigns. Coordinate media relations for the Country Office
- Build and maintain relationships with media outlets, journalists, TV channels, radio, and podcasts.
- Ensure consistent messaging and adherence to the organization's brand guidelines.
- Manage partnerships with media (including social media), maintain and update the database of relevant contacts.
- Proactively reach out and strengthen relationships with key media organizations in the country, nurturing a special pool of media professionals to be better prepared to properly report on gender issues.
- Respond to inquiries, and prepare related correspondence, materials, interviews, Op-Eds, press releases, articles, blog posts, social media posts, newsletters, etc.
- Design and implement the outreach strategy for the management, to promote a positive image and results achieved by the CO and its national and international partners and donors.
- Initiate and organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, press breakfasts, and briefings for media and other partners.
- Represent the CO at various public events and act as spokesperson upon the Representative/Head of Office approval.
- Regularly monitor and report on key trends and developments in traditional, digital, and social media.
- Draft talking points for the management.
- Oversee social media platforms, websites, and other digital channels to engage audiences effectively, monitor trends, analyze data, and optimize strategies for maximum impact.
- Develop a crisis communication plan in case of a crisis situation, craft key messages, and coordinate media responses to protect the organization's reputation.
- Maintain the CO’s calendars of the UN observances, international occasions, global, regional, and national holidays, and significant events. Coordinate with the CO team for timely and high-quality messaging.
- Contribute to the development of knowledge products, including research, studies, gender analysis, assessments, reports, fact sheets, and presentations, to support evidence-based decision-making and advocacy efforts.
- Review knowledge products produced by the CO to ensure compliance with UN Women guidance and regulations.
- Coordinate the high-quality implementation of traditional advocacy campaigns, for example, 16 days of activism against gender-based violence, International Women’s Day, and others related to human rights, gender equality, and women’s empowerment.
4.Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors and key actors
- Cultivate relationships, facilitate collaboration, and ensure effective communication to build trust and support for the organization’s goals.
- Strengthen ties with the private sector, public opinion leaders, influencers, and civil activists.
- Independently research, collect and analyze information on potential partners and donors and recommend relevant outreach strategies to the management.
- Continuously identify and build new communication partnerships to enhance UN Women’s visibility.
- Develop creative partnerships for joint advocacy with civil society, government, private sector partners, media, celebrities, academia, the international community, and other stakeholders to ensure that CO advocacy around key issues reaches the target audience, including the public and the donors and monitor and analyze the results.
- Provide inputs to packages for programmatic and project initiatives for donor and key partners’ review.
- Manage and coordinate the development and delivery of joint communication campaigns with partners and donors.
- Manage and advance work with the Private sector through Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs), identify, coordinate, and implement joint initiatives with the Private sector, including quasi-state entities.
- Coordinate joint communication efforts, facilitate knowledge-sharing, and advocate for gender equality and women’s rights.
- Identify resource mobilization opportunities, communicate to the CO’s management, and provide support in the development of the new programme, projects, and initiatives proposals.
5.Maintain the Country Office web/ online presence
- Oversee and enhance UN Women’s digital presence through social media platforms, the website, and other digital channels.
- Monitor social media trends, analyze engagement metrics, and leverage data-driven insights to inform communication strategies.
- Produce compelling and impactful content for various digital and online platforms. Ensure consistency in messaging and adhere to UN Women's communication guidelines.
- Develop and manage the CO website, initiate and create content, update regularly, and provide oversight and quality assurance into its content based on corporate requirements.
- Design a creative social media strategy for the CO and its implementation plan. Produce multimedia interactive products (including videos, infographics, audio, animation, etc), engage the audiences in the dialogue, and manage the CO social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
- Analyze the performance of CO digital presences and recommend adjustments to the strategies and products.
- Maintain CO audio-video archive and ensure that its regular replenishment.
- Brief team on photography and video making, ensure high standards and quality that they can provide inputs to this archive as well.
- Upload information to the knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, and resources.
- Manage and oversee procurement processes pertaining to the communications and advocacy activities of the CO.
- Support the CO in corporate and UN coordination and gender mainstreaming initiatives upon request.
6.Facilitate knowledge-building and sharing
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned linked to programme goals and activities.
- Provide training communication and advocacy for the UN Women team, as appropriate.
- Oversee the timely publication and update of materials on virtual platforms such as Act for Equal, Spotlight Initiative and other platforms developed within CO’s portfolio.
Key Performance Indicators
- Design and timely and proactive implementation of the communications strategy for the office and monitor and analyze the results and recommend relevant actions.
- Timely monitoring, analysis, and reporting to the management on current context, events, and trends.
- Initiation and timely production of quality advocacy multimedia materials and content and their timely dissemination to the relevant audiences.
- Timely and quality preparation of press releases, articles, quotes, briefs, talking points background materials, and other relevant information requested by the management.
- Creative and timely update of the UN Women’s website, social media pages, UN Women’s brochure, visuals, and strengthening dialogues with audiences and visibility on social media.
- Timely and quality contribution to the UN joint communications and advocacy initiatives.
- Effective implementation of the CO’s digital presence and recommendations for adjustments to the strategies and products.
- Proactive research, outreach, maintenance, and strengthening of partnerships, including in the regions of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Regular and ad-hoc pro-active outreach and interactions with media, and other relevant partners, resulting in increased visibility and a positive image of the CO.
- Increased number of WEPs signatories and joint initiatives.
- Timely and quality review of knowledge, communications, and outreach products and materials.
- Respect for Diversity
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to communicate professionally, sensitively, effectively, and creatively across different constituencies
- Ability to research, analyze information, and report
- Good knowledge of web-based knowledge management systems, digital tools, and innovative approaches
- Experience in journalism, video production, graphic design, and photography
- Good knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Good knowledge of the local country media landscape, national and regional contexts
- Good communication, presentation, networking, and advocacy skills
- Ability to be strategic, creative, proactive, and analytical
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and/or as a team member
Required Skills and Experience
|• Bachelor or Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications,|
public relations, journalism, international relations, marketing,
design, or a relevant field is required;
• A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years
of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced
|Experience:||• At least 9 years of professional work experience at the national or|
international level in public relations, marketing, journalism,
communications or advocacy, and international relations.
• Experience in the production of multimedia materials for social media.
• Experience in working at the United Nations, and international
organizations is an advantage.
• Specialized training/ certificate in the related area is an asset.
• Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or
donors is an asset
|• Fluency in English, Kazakh, and Russian is required.|
• Working knowledge of the other UN official working language is an
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)