The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. At UNDP, external and internal communication—nationally, regionally and globally—is critical to achieving both development results and business objectives. Skillful communication broadens the impacts of new policies, helps governance reforms take root, and attracts and fosters strong partnerships.
The Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy (BERA) is responsible for positioning UNDP as the world’s leading global development network, promoting its global authority and thought leadership on sustainable development and the interconnected issues of poverty, inequality, and climate change. BERA leads and supports UNDP in building and nurturing strategic relationships and alliances essential to achieving its mission. Within BERA, the Advocacy, Marketing and Communications Group leads and manages external communications through strategy, media, digital communications, marketing, branding and global storytelling.
Within Advocacy, Marketing and Communications Group, the Digital Comms Studio plays an essential role to develop and manage UNDP’s global online presence, creating compelling public-facing content, leading on social networks and digital engagement, building capacities for greater impact through digital communications, and helping build a strong brand for UNDP.
Based in Digital Comms Studio and reporting to the Spanish Web and Social Media Specialist, the Intern will support the team conceptualizing and creating web and social media texts for campaigns, events and other promotional purposes in Spanish language.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research content and produce Spanish language material and updates for Spanish social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter);
- Ensure global campaigns follow up and support, and audience engagement on Spanish Social media platforms;
- Produce graphic material to be used on Spanish social media platforms;
- Provide assistance in curating and presenting stories, images and videos in UNDP’s web content management system;
- Review and edit web stories, headlines and captions in Spanish and English, liaising with the rest of the team to ensure consistency across languages;
- Assist in translating or reviewing translations in Spanish, proofreading and reformulating if necessary, for optimal web presentation;
- Assist the Spanish Web editor in maintaining contacts with content providers in order to solicit material for website, and/or for approval of drafts;
- Support the monthly reporting of Spainsh digital channels performance by gathering and analyzing main metrics.
- Native Spanish speaker with solid Spanish writing and editing skills;
- Strong ability to multi-task;
- Attention to detail is crucial;
- Responsible, responsive, and enthusiastic;
- Interest in global issues and the United Nations;
- Must be able to work in a multi-cultural environment and be aware of political sensitivities.
Required Skills and Experience
Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a graduate school Programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree Programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent);
(c) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
Web and social media experience are an asset.
Native Spanish and fluency in written and spoken English;
Must be available at least four days a week.