Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women will work for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations System efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Under the overall guidance of the Representative, reporting to the Operations Manager and in close day-to-day interaction with the Finance Associate and the Programme Team, in particular the Women, Peace and Security team, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for performing a variety of administrative tasks to ensure the efficient and expeditious execution of operations and services in the UN Women Country Office in Kyrgyzstan and its project portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies.
- Support to effective and efficient functioning of the operations unit.
- Support to administrative and logistical services.
- Support to office maintenance and assets management.
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women/UN(DP) rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Provision of inputs to preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the operations unit, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contacts with visitors and staff, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
- Compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, speeches, background information and documentation for meetings and missions.
- Translation of simple correspondences, when needed.
Ensures effective administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UN Women shipments (received/sent), Preparation of all necessary documentation, implementation of follow-up actions.
- Performance of a Buyer role in Quantum and preparation of POs for travel activities.
- Support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation. Preparation of POs.
- Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents.
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats.
- Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services.
- Arrangement of vehicle transportation, regular vehicle maintenance and insurance.
- Checking and recording of vehicle daily log and gas consumption, update and maintenance of vehicle history report.
- Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Extraction of data from various sources.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit.
Provides support to office maintenance and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of records on assets management, preparation of reports.
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance
- Provision of support to maintenance of common premises and common services
Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the country office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit. Accurate presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the office and promotes the image of UN/UN Women as an effective contributor to the development of the country.
Integrity: Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Required Skills and Experience
Fluency in English, Russian; competency in Kyrgyz highly desirable
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
All online applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.