Current Grade: SB5-1
Job Title: Project Manager, Gender-responsive Governance, Women’s Leadership and Participation
Department: Brazil CO
Reports to (Title/Level): Portfolio Manager, Gender-responsive Governance, Women’s Leadership and Participation/NO-B
Duty Station: Maceió, Brazil
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women Country Programme in Brazil is implemented in line with the national development priorities, as well as in the framework of the international commitments to gender equality and empowerment of women, as well as the UN frameworks and instruments on Human Rights, of which Brazil is signatory, such as the CEDAW, CERD, Beijing Platform for Action, Durban Action Plan, Agenda 2030, as well as the UN Security Council Resolutions on Women, Peace and Security. It is aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Partnerships Framework.
The UN Women Country Office in Brazil focuses on three key areas:
- Women lead, participate in, and benefit equally from governance systems
- Women have income security, decent work, and economic autonomy
- All women and girls live a life free from all forms of violence
UN Women also coordinates and promotes the UN system’s work in advancing gender equality. As part of the United Nations Country Team, leads the Inter-Agency Thematic Group on Gender, Race and Ethnicity, and actively contributes to the other UN inter-agency mechanisms.
In Alagoas, UN Women works in partnership with the State Government to mainstream gender in the government system and to strengthen the work of the Secretaria de Estado da Mulher e dos Direitos Humanos, in line with relevant global norms and frameworks.
Reporting to the Programme Coordinator/Manager, Gender-responsive Governance, Women’s Leadership and Participation, the Project Manager provides programme support to the effective management of UN Women programmes and projects in the CO by contributing to the programme and project design, formulation, implementation and evaluation. The Project Manager supports the delivery of UN Women programmes and supports by analyzing results achieved during implementation and supporting appropriate application of systems and procedures. The Project Manager works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bilateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in Gender-responsive Governance,
Women’s Leadership and Participation
• Provide technical inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives related to
Gender-responsive Governance, Women’s Leadership and Participation
• Provide technical support to the implementation and management of the Gender-responsive Governance,
Women’s Leadership and Participation programme
• Provide inputs to the annual workplan and budget as required.
• Coordinate and monitor the implementation of programme activities.
• Coordinate the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners.
• Review and coordinate the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports.
• Train partners on Results Based Management.
• Provide technical assistance and capacity development support to project/programme partners
• Provide technical support to and technically oversee the implementation of programme activities with partners.
• Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and coordinate and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners as needed.
• Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
• Monitor progress on programme activity, results and indicators.
• Monitor the implementation of proposals by responsible partners.
• Provide inputs to quarterly reports, donor reports and other reports on outputs, results outputs, and outcomes.
• Provide technical inputs to the management of people and finances of Gender-responsive Governance,
Women’s Leadership and Participation programme
• Monitor budget implementation and programme activity expenditures and perform budget revisions when required.
• Provide inputs to financial reports.
• Oversee the work of Programme Associates and Assistants as needed.
• Contribute to building partnerships and resource mobilisation strategies
• Provide inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases.
• Provide inputs to relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles.
• Provide technical inputs to inter-agency coordination on Gender-responsive Governance, Women’s Leadership and Participation to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in the country
• Provide technical support to the Representative and National Programme Officer on inter-agency coordination related activities by providing inputs to background reports and briefs.
• Provide inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
• Provide technical inputs to background documents, briefs and presentations related to Gender-responsive
Governance, Women’s Leadership and Participation.
• Coordinate and support the organization of advocacy activities and campaigns events, trainings, workshops, and knowledge products.
• Provide inputs to the development of knowledge management products on Gender-responsive Governance,
Women’s Leadership and Participation.
Respect for Diversity
Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
Creative Problem Solving
Leading by Example
•Programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
•Knowledge of Results Based Management
•Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions, and present findings
•Good analytical skills
•Good knowledge of Gender-responsive Governance, Women’s Leadership and Participation.
Required Skills and Experience
V. Recruitment Qualifications
Education and certification:
• Post-Graduation courses (Stricto Sensu: Master’s or Doctor’s degree) or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/ women’s studies, international development, or a related field, or additional 06 years of relevant technical experience to the post, beyond the requirement, is required.
• A project/programme management certification (such as PMP®, PRINCE2®, or MSP®) would be an added advantage.
• At least 6 years of relevant work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building.
• Experience in Gender-responsive Governance, Women’s Leadership and Participation is an asset.
• Experience in intersectional approach to human rights is an asset.
• Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset.
• Fluency in English and Portuguese is required.
• Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
• Knowledge of Spanish is an asset.
Due to the large number of applications received, only the selected applicant(s) will be notified.
Applicants with employment in public institutions will need to present evidence of leave without pay.
Applicants must not be related (mother, father, sister, brother, son, or daughter) to United Nations staff members. Applicants must be Brazilian nationals.
All candidates must complete the online applications with P11 form at UNDP Jobs website (Careers | United Nations Development Programme) no later than 11:59 pm 12/24/2023.
Completed and signed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) in English is request, which can be downloaded from http://www.onumulheres.org.br/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/P_11_form_UNwomen-JUL-2021.doc
NOTE: Applicants that do not complete the online application and send the supporting documents will not be considered. Applicants that fail to provide evidence of the information given in the online form and/or P-11 form will be disqualified.
Diversity and Inclusion: At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity, and organizational need. If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application. UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)