UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In support of the organization’s objectives, the Policy, Programme and Intergovernmental Division (PPID) Directorate provides global support to UN Women offices at Headquarters and in all field locations to deliver results in support of UN Women's Strategic Plan 2018-2021 and internationally agreed goals on gender equality and women's empowerment, including the Beijing Platform for Action and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The Division provides intellectual and strategic leadership on normative support and the delivery of integrated policy and program advice, including through policy analysis and gender mainstreaming. The Division leverages innovation, knowledge management, and cutting-edge technical expertise to support UN Women programmes and to build the capacity of partners to deliver results on gender equality and women's empowerment.
As part of PPID, the Programme Support Management Unit (PSMU) in UN Women Headquarters works to strengthen corporate project management capacities and provide increased support to the field and headquarters in non-core programme and project implementation, including updating the policies and procedures around the project life cycle, to serve as a guide to programme/project managers implementing programmes and projects in UN Women.
The consultant will support the Unit in translating procedures, guidelines, and presentation modules for project management trainings from English to French.
Duties and Responsibilities
An expert in English to French translation is needed for the translation of four procedures and one presentation with nine modules of about 6,000 words each, including endnotes and references, and for all products. The translator should ensure consistency of translations across products and refer to other UN Women publications for decision-making on terminology.
Translation from English to French of the following assets;
- Programme and Project Management training modules
- Project Quality Assurance Procedure
- Project Concept Note and Project Document template
- Project Implementation and Monitoring Procedure
- Project Closure Procedure
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in translation, communications, journalism, public relations, social sciences, international relations, or a relevant field.
- Five to ten years’ experience as an English to French translator.
- Native-level French (oral and written), and excellent command of English. Other UN languages an asset.
- Previous experience in translating reports and long papers for UN organizations or international development partners desired.
- Knowledge and understanding of gender and development issues and the appropriate terminology.
- Ability and willingness to meet tight deadlines and produce high-quality work.
Fluency in oral and written English and French is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.