UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The work of UN Women in Moldova is guided by its new Country Strategic Note 2023-2027, aligned with the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework for Moldova 2023-2027 (UNSDCF), UN Women Global Strategic Plan, National Programs and Strategies and aims to contribute to the gender-responsive implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The Strategic Note focuses on four main areas: 1) Ending Violence against Women; 2) Women’s Leadership and Governance; 3) Women’s Economic empowerment and 4) Humanitarian and Peace development nexus and UN Coordination on gender equality.
As of November 2023, UN Women launched the implementation of an EU-funded Project “Ending Violence, Expanding Livelihood Opportunities for Women and Accelerating Gender Governance in Moldova with the short title: “EVOLVE4GE”.
The proposed project interventions will support the Government to address the persistent challenges and gaps identified in areas of critical importance for advancing gender equality by using gender mainstreaming and gender responsive budgeting as key approaches to development of gender responsive policies and budgets. At the same time, it will integrate tailored actions for women to increase their entrepreneurship skills and economic competitiveness, but also support national stakeholders to improve and implement the regulatory and policy frameworks on economic empowerment of women. Additionally, the project interventions will aim to improve prevention of gender-based violence, work on behavioral change towards strengthening the culture of reporting and supporting women and girls in exercising their rights and reaching out to recourse mechanisms, it will expand and strengthen specialist services. Finally, it will enhance the overall planning, coordination and oversight of the progress on implementation of the Ending Violence Against Women (EVAW) programme, through the technical support in the establishment of the National Agency for Prevention and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence, approved with Government decision accompanied by allocation of resources in the 2023 budget.
The project will contribute to the implementation of the Country Level Implementation Plan (CLIP) of Moldova of the Gender Action Plan III and is fully aligned with the priority 5 of the Multiannual Indicative Programme (MIP) 2021-2027: a resilient, gender equal, fair and inclusive society. As well it will contribute directly to the implementation of the national priorities set in the National Development Strategy “Moldova -2030”, the Government Programme on Gender Equality (2023 – 2027), the RoadMap for Economic Empowerment of Women, the National Programme on Ending Violence against Women (2023-2027), as well as to the gender responsive provisions of the National Strategy for Public Finance Management (2023-2030) and related programmes and the National Strategy Public Administration (2023-2030). It will also support the Government to advance implementation of the gender equality commitments aligned with the EU candidacy status granted to the Republic of Moldova in June 2022.
Under the supervision of the Deputy Representative, the Project Management Specialist is responsible for managing the development, implementation, monitoring and reporting of project Ending Violence, Expanding Livelihood Opportunities for Women and Accelerating Gender Governance in Moldova, including, managing the monitoring and reporting, overseeing and guiding people and budget management for the project team, building partnerships and providing support in developing resource mobilization strategies, and managing knowledge building efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage the programmatic development for the EVOLVE4GE project based on the project document:
- Provide overall project advisory support to the Office Management;
- Guide the development of the project, and provide technical support to the design and formulation of project initiatives;
- Review and provide feedback to project strategies and documents, workplans, case studies and related knowledge products and publications, as needed;
- Provide technical advice on the development of systems, processes and mechanisms to support project planning, implementation, monitoring and progress reporting;
- Review and evaluate proposals and oversee the preparation of EU Delegation proposals and reports;
- Draft policy documents, briefs and other strategic papers/ materials for the use in the development and presentation of policy and programmatic positions.
Manage technical assistant to the implementation of the EVOLVE4GE project:
- Review project annual work plans to assure compliance with EU Delegation and UN Women programme goals and results-based indicators (EU Funding &Tender portal);
- Analyze and ensure alignment of project budgets with logical framework matrices and work plans;
- Write reports on activities, outputs and outcomes; and compile information in preparations of EU Delegation and UN Women reports;
- Analyze and ensure alignment of project budgets with logical framework matrices and work plans;
- Manage project quality control and identification of potential challenges;
- Align project activities with operations team in close liaison with Operations Managers;
- Build and manage relationships with national partners, as necessary.
Manage the monitoring and reporting for the EU Delegation and Country Office:
- Recommend and establish project monitoring standards, criteria, and other indicators for measuring and assessing progress/results;
- Manage the monitoring of mutually agreed results frameworks and performance indicators;
- Coordinate the process of gathering information and preparing progress reports on project implementation; prepare technical reports;
- Prepare project team for audits and monitor implementation of audit recommendations;
- Provide training on results-based management to office staff, as necessary.
Oversee and guide people and budget management for the project team:
- Lead a team, perform staff performance reviews, ensure capacity development of staff members by suggesting development opportunities;
- Monitor and analyze financial situation on the portfolios and project to ensure adherence to delivery rates and utilization of resources to meet agreed upon targets and results;
- Ensure effective information flow, communication and coordination across the office, between programmes, projects and operations, and with other UN Women offices and units.
Build partnerships and provide support in developing resource mobilization strategies:
- Develop and implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies;
- Analyze and research information on donors, finalize substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for resource mobilization and cost sharing;
- Determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UN Women, country needs and EU Delegation`s priorities and develop the relevant partnerships.
Manage knowledge building efforts:
- Manage the process of identifying and synthesizing of best practices and lessons learned that are directly linked to the implementation of the project and contribute to their global dissemination.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Strong programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them;
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Strong knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Good knowledge of UN programme management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree in social sciences, Political Science, Development, Public Administration, Gender is required;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification (such as PMP®, PRINCE2®, or MSP®) would be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in programme management, including programme design, programme coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building;
- At least 3 years of working experience in providing technical assistance to stakeholders in mainstreaming gender equality in policy and budget development process and oversight at national, regional or local;
- Experience in setting priorities, budgets, work plans, participating in programme development and programme writing;
- Experience in leading teams effectively is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required, Romanian would be an advantage;
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Russian, Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND SUBMISSION PACKAGE
Note: UN Women reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UN Women at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
Interested candidates are invited to submit applications with the following documents.
- Motivation letter;
- Duly filled Personal History Form P11 including records on past experience in similar projects/ assignments and specific outputs obtained; P11 can be downloaded at https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/2022-07/UN-Women-P11-Personal-History-Form-en.doc
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
The United Nations in Moldova is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.