UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Under overall guidance and with the direct supervision of the UN Women Country Representative in Georgia and Liaison for the South Caucasus, and working in close consultation with the UN Resident Coordinator [RC], the Programme Specialist is responsible for the provision of coordination, programme and technical support on women’s rights and gender equality to the UNRC and the UN Country Team [UNCT] and manages and coordinates all aspects of UN Women programming in Armenia as required, including programme development, management of operational projects, as well as continued monitoring of implementation and reporting.
She/he works in close collaboration with UN Women programme and operations staff, UN staff and UN agencies, government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring the successful interventions of UN Women in the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Design and develop UN Women programmatic interventions in Armenia
- Design and formulate programme/ project proposals and initiatives;
- Draft inputs to country strategy documents, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents related to UN Women programming interventions in Armenia.
2. Manage the implementation of UN Women programmatic interventions in Armenia
- Manage the technical implementation of the programme/project; ensure synergies with other teams;
- Manage the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Provide guidance to staff and partners on Results Based Management tools and performance indicators;
- Organize Project Steering Committee, project review and/or evaluation meetings, as needed.
3. Manage technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners
- Build and manage relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the programme office; respond to any potential problems;
- Identify capacity building needs of partners and lead the coordination of technical assistance, mentoring, training and capacity development initiatives to partners.
4. Manage the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
- Manage the monitoring of programme/ project implementation and finances using results-based management tools;
- Oversee field missions and review reports on monitoring missions;
- Write quarterly reports and donor reports, focusing on results, output and outcomes;
- Contribute to donor reports.
- Manage staff and consultants and oversee recruitment processes, as necessary
5. Build partnerships and support in developing resource mobilization strategies
- Develop and implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies;
- Finalize relevant documentation on donors and potential opportunities for resource mobilization;
- Analyze and research information on donors, prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost sharing.
6. Contribute to inter-agency coordination to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in Armenia
- Provide technical support to UN Women Country Representative in Georgia and Liaison for the South Caucasus on inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees as needed;
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure the projects’ capacity development programme is harmonized and aligned with other in-country efforts.
7. Manage advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop and review background documents, briefs and presentations related to UN Women programmatic work in Armenia;
- Represent UN Women in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to UN Women work in the country as necessary;
- Develop advocacy strategies and oversee their implementation;
- Identify best practices and lessons learned to guide programme improvement and strategy planning.
8. The incumbent performs other duties within their functional profile as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Strong knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making
- Strong knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment issues
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising and develop strategies
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
Application package should consist of:
- Duly filled in Personal History Form PHF11 that can be downloaded from https://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment/application-process
- Motivation letter.
How to Submit the Application:
- Download and complete the UN Women Personal History Form (P11) - https://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment/application-process
- Merge your UN Women Personal History Form (P11), CV and Motivation Letter into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click 'Apply Now' button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click 'Submit Application’;
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlined above);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.
- UN Women retains the right to contact references directly. Due to the large numbers of applications we receive, we are able to inform only the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.).