Title: Programme Manager, Digitalization
Duty Station: Islamabad
Gender equality and women’s development hinges very strongly on an ecosystem that promotes women’s economic empowerment and their access to supporting resources, goods and services. In this context, the role of digital technologies remains key to catalyze the economic empowerment of women. However, women and girls often have less access to technology and the internet compared to boys and men. Particularly in developing countries, women struggle to afford technology and internet access. As Pakistan emerges as one of the IT hubs in the world, it is unfortunate that only 14% of women are engaged in the tech sector. Pakistan’s will to embrace digitalization offers an opportunity to boost women economic empowerment, bridge the digital divide and in the long-term address gender inequalities.
Towards the purpose of accelerating economic engagement of young women through digital enablement and innovation, UN Women – with support from Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) – will be embarking on Digitalization for Women’s Empowerment. The initiative aims to increase capacities on digital literacy so that young women are able to wider participating opportunity in the technology sector, through capacity building programs and mentorships with experts; and to create a conducive environment for young women to enter the technology sector - including IT enabled services (ITeS), software development, and data analytics - through engagement with private sector and government stakeholders.
The initiative also aims to economically empower young women by building their skills and capacity to partake in the fourth industrial revolution and bridging industry-academia linkages for increased employability.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Digitalization Programme Manager will be responsible for assisting/supporting the Portfolio Manager in the following key areas of the KOICA funded programme:
- Support in the formulation of programme strategies and implementation and monitoring of the programme activities related to KOICA Funded program.
- Lead building and maintaining strategic partnerships with donor stakeholders and implementing partners.
- Facilitate monitoring and evaluation, programme reviews and annual reviews with the implementing partners and other counterparts to assess programmes/projects and to report on required action and interventions at the higher level of programme management.
- Manage the coordination with Korean industry leaders, government departments, and public and private sector organizations involved in the technology industry for experience-sharing and mentorship of project beneficiaries.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verifying compliance with approved allocation, goals, organizational rules, regulations/procedures, donor commitments, standards of accountability, and integrity. Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management and stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
- Support preparation of project development and Implementing Partners’ selection documents support the respective processes at the Country Office level for ensuring efficiency.
- Provide effective operational and administrative support and contribute towards efficient financial administration.
- Support presentation of background information for implementation of UN Women WEE & SL programme including drafting of project documents, annual work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements.
- Support the WEE Programme Specialist in management of programme activities and ensure effective implementation and monitoring of the Digitalization programme ensuring a holistic approach of Women’s Economic Empowerment and Sustainable Livelihoods.
- Enhance coordination between UN agencies, public and private sector organizations at the Federal level to improve women’s access to economic opportunities.
- Assist in managing the programme budgeting and financial monitoring.
- Coordinate with communications team for designing project branding and visibility of project activities.
- Assist in developing procurement plans for the projects and programmes.
- Ensure documentation of the project learnings and development of evidence-based products in accordance with UN Women and KOICA guidelines.
- Support the WEE Programme Specialist with any other relevant duties on coordination and strategic partnership as may be assigned.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Strong analytical skills in gender and economic policy and women’s economic empowerment
- Strong writing skills to produce a variety of knowledge products for different audiences and purposes;
- Experience working with private sector especially technology ICT sector
- Ability to produce impactful communications materials and knowledge products;
- Strong commitment to knowledge-sharing within a multicultural environment; and Ability to design and deliver training and other capacity-building strategies in the area of gender for variety of stakeholders including CSO’s, academia and private sector.
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s/Bachelors Degree in International Relations, Economics, Gender Studies, International Development, Social Sciences, or relevant field;
A first-level university degree in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the master’s degree.
- A minimum of 3 years (with MA) or 5 years (with BA) of relevant experience in similar positions is required.
- Progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building.
- Experience in areas of Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment or Digitalization is required.
- Proven expertise in project designing, proposal drafting and resources mobilization
- Extensive experience in coordinating and liaising with government agencies, civil society organisations, private sector and/or donors.
- Experience on youth participation is an asset.
- Past experience in the UN system is an advantage.
Fluency in English and Urdu (with excellent written proficiency and ability to translate) is mandatory.
The incumbent will be required to travel frequently to field locations in Pakistan.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women
Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment. HEC Attested degrees are a prerequisite for employment at UN. During the recruitment process
candidates may be required to present HEC attested degrees. Foreign Qualified Candidates: Foreign degree holders shall be required to (i) Present a verification/certification letter from the university verifying the degree & student enrollment, or (ii) Foreign degree Equivalence Letter from HEC.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis
covered by appropriate law.
All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need. If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application. UN Women has a zero-tolerance
policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the
standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history.
Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.) If you are experiencing difficulties with online job applications, please contact the eRecruit Helpdesk.