UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. In line with its 2022-2025 Strategic Plan, preventing and eliminating violence against women and girls is one of the key strategic priorities for UN Women.
UN Women, as part of the United Nations in Timor-Leste, contributes to the Government’s efforts to advance gender equality and the empowerment of women, as outlined in its Strategic Development Plan 2011-2030, its Sustainable Development Goals Roadmap, and in support of its international human rights and gender equality obligations. Within the framework of the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (2021-2025), UN Women’s programming in Timor-Leste focuses on Women’s Economic Empowerment, Ending Violence against Women and Girls (EVAWG), advancing the Women, Peace and Security (WPS) agenda and supporting implementation of Normative commitments (e.g. CEDAW, Beijing Platform for Action, SDGs), mainstreaming gender across areas to achieve these results.
Reporting to the Programme Officer WEE, the Programme Assistant will provide support and assistance to the WEE Programme Team to ensure smooth programme implementation in line with UN Women rules and regulations.
She/he works in close collaboration with the other programmes and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under the WEE portfolio
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Programme Management Support
- Provide programme and administrative support to the programme team in the preparation of various programme documents, such as work plans, budgets, reports and proposals on programme implementation arrangements.
- Under the guidance of the supervisor, assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations for the programme unit.
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, and other material as required.
- Assist the programme team in reviewing and preparing documentation on the procurement of goods and services, and support contract tracking.
- Help the team in providing guidance to the country and project offices on routine implementation of the project, tracking use of financial resources.
2. Budget/Financial Management Support
- Use Quantum to prepare required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of the project.
- Assist in reviewing and preparing documentation on the procurement of goods and services, and support contract tracking.
- Support contract issuance and amendment for contract holders and consultants and make a payment, as needed, upon receipt of deliverables.
- Create requisitions in Quantum for receipt of goods and services, including making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers.
- Proceed payments for contract holders and consultants, as per contracts and upon receipt of deliverables.
- Assist in travel arrangement and procurement and selection of suppliers (merchandise, including hotels, transport), payment of DSAs for participants in physical events.
- Support the programme team in the financial management and monitoring of the project.
3. Programme and Administrative Support
- Provide programme and administrative support to the programme team in the preparation and regular updating of various programme documents, such as work plans, budgets, and project reports.
- Provide administrative and logistical support in organizing meetings and events.
- Involve internal and external participants including administrative support during the meetings – emails, invitation, schedule, list of participants, etc.
- Make travel arrangements and travel reimbursement for the programme team, project staff, and official event participants.
- Draft non-substantive correspondence.
- Maintain and organize up-to-date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval, including for audit preparations. Ensure safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Other logistical and administrative duties as and when required.
4. Supports resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results
- Review of contributions agreement, managing contributions in Quantum.
5. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results.
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme. Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
IV. Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and accurate administrative and Budget/Financial Management Support
- Full compliance with administrative activities according to UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Timely and accurate tracking of data for Budget/Financial Management Support and donor purposes;
- Quality maintenance of internal systems and files;
- Quality and timely support to programme team.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good financial and budgeting skills;
- Strong organizational, HR, finance, and administration skills with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow;
- Good IT skills.
Required Skills and Experience
VI. Recruitment Qualifications
Education and certification: