UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
To support member states in implementing the 2030 Agenda, UN Women’s gender data programme ‘Making Every Woman and Girl Count’ (Women Count) aims to affect a radical shift in the availability, accessibility and use of data and statistics on key aspects of gender equality and women’s empowerment. As part of UN Women’s role in monitoring the SDGs from a gender perspective, a key outcome of the Women Count programme is the development of the Women Count data hub, which was launched in September 2019. The hub consolidates the gender-related indicators of the SDGs, as well as gender data across UN Women’s key thematic areas, and maintains an updated list of country fact sheets. The data hub also generates customized dashboards to highlight different initiatives and publishes gender data stories that are informed by visualizations that present data in innovative and accessible formats.
A Database Analyst (consultant) is needed for six months to help maintain the data, update the data where needed and generate customized data visualizations to accompany gender data stories and other initiatives The consultant will report to the Outreach and Communications Specialist of the Women Count programme who serves as the Manager of the Data Hub. The Consultant will work alongside the development team, the web designers and UN Women’s IT section to ensure that the data components are running smoothly. The consultant will also work with Women Count regional and country offices to support their data visualization needs on the Data Hub.
Duties and Responsibilities
Description of Responsibilities /Scope of Work
Under the supervision of the Outreach and Communication Specialist, the consultant will perform the following functions:
1. Maintain the data on the Women Count data hub:
- Maintain the data dashboards of the Women Count data hub (data.unwomen.org), working closely with the data hub development team.
- Ensure SDG dashboards are visualizing the most current data and are using the relevant APIs.
- Ensure the data is updated as per schedule, and spot check to ensure accuracy and timeliness of the data.
- Ensure all data-specific elements on the data hub are running smoothly without errors or bugs.
- Where needed, import data to Excel, conduct manual updates and upload to the portal.
- When new data needs to be incorporated, clean the data and make sure it is in the required format for upload.
- Capture bugs and any technical issues in the issue tracker and follow up with the developers.
- Report technical/system issues to UN Women IST and developers, and monitor the status of these issues, reporting back to the supervisor on a regular basis.
- Provide administrative and coordination support to the outreach specialist in managing and assigning approval roles in IT systems of UN Women related to the portal, including playing super admin role in the database management system.
- Regularly review, analyze and evaluate business and user needs and experience to improve the design, development and implementation of the database.
2. Provide database liaison support:
- Serve as the data focal point with UNSD and relevant data custodian agencies as needed, to communicate regarding data updates and other developments.
- Work closely with IST colleagues and developers to coordinate the database and data requirements.
- Communicate regularly with IST colleagues to provide updates on database maintenance, support, and other relevant issues.
- Provide technical support in data collection, compilation and quality control, including to other UN Women sections where relevant for the data hub.
- Collect and analyze feedback from users to assess the quality, relevance and usefulness of the portal and the data in particular.
3. Develop custom data visualizations and dashboards:
- Produce customized data visualizations to support gender data stories.
- Create custom dashboards and interactive data features.
- Work with different sections to visualize their data on the data hub and support with cleaning the data and working closely with information designers where needed.
4. Support data hub web development and content:
- Build custom web pages on the Data Hub as needed.
- Update web content as required, using the Drupal CMS.
- Support the development and updates of new features as required, working closely with the supervisor.
- Maintain analytics and support in reporting.
- Support the team on other tasks as required.
Consultant’s Workplace and Official Travel
This is a home-based consultancy.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:
- Strong knowledge of databases, and experience supporting projects involving databases.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team supporting databases, working with data and conducting data analysis, and in a cooperative and productive fashion both with internal and external colleagues.
- Up-to-date knowledge of ICT and database development and practices.
- Understanding of SDG indicator framework is desired.
- Familiarity with SDMX.
- Familiarity with relational databases and data warehouses.
- Excellent knowledge of Excel, and familiarity with other statistical software.
- Thorough knowledge of MS-Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
- Strong statistical analysis skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Good understanding of and commitment to gender equality and women's empowerment and its policy implications.
- Good interpersonal and networking skills, and ability to work in multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environments. ability to build and promote partnerships across the organization and beyond.
- Ability to work under pressure on multiple projects whilst maintaining quality and timeliness.
- Knowledge of the mandate and work of UN Women.
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification:
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, economics, information systems, computer science, ICT, or other related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience as a database analyst or similar function.
- Experience with SQL and BI tools (Tableau, Qlik, or similar).
- Experience in Drupal content management system is a plus.
- Experience in statistical analysis and familiarity with SDMX.
- Understanding of SDG indicators is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of any other UN official language is an asset.
HOW TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION:
- Personal CV or P11 (P11 can be downloaded from: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-P11-Personal-History-Form.doc)
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page)