UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women supports United Nations Member States in setting international standards for achieving gender equality and works with governments and civil society to formulate and enforce the laws, policies, programs and services needed to ensure that the standards are effectively implemented and that they truly benefit women and girls around the world.
UN Women through its Liaison Office to the African Union (AU) and United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) engages with the AU and its various organs, the UNECA and civil society organizations, as well as the diplomatic community. Through the office, UN Women provides technical support to Member States and the AUF in the adoption, implementation and monitoring of commitments on gender equality and women’s empowerment (GEWE), in accordance with its mandate. Furthermore, the UN Women Liaison Office represents UN Women in the UN Liaison Team and facilitates the participation of relevant UN Women Offices including regional offices for East and Southern Africa (ESAR), West and Central Africa (WCAR) and North Africa (ROAS) in the Regional Coordination Mechanism (RCM) for Africa to advance the GEWE agenda on the continent.
UN Women, through its Liaison Office to the AU and ECA, aims at providing technical assistance to the African Union Commission (AUC) through the Women, Gender, and Youth Directorate (WGYD) to effectively mainstream gender issues in AU and its programs and policy processes. UN Women Liaison Office also collaborates with relevant departments of the AUC for gender responsive development and implementation of regional initiatives. In addition, the Liaison Office continues to establish and strengthen strategic partnerships with relevant UN agencies, INGOs and CSOs to implement catalytic initiatives in supporting the continental GEWE agenda. In this regard, the Liaison Office carries out knowledge management activities by tracking the implementation of policies as well as identifying and disseminating advocacy messages and good practices to inform decisions and priorities of the AU and its organs. The Liaison Office accordingly endeavors to catalyze the adoption and implementation of gender responsive regional policies which inform programming, policy and partnerships at different levels in Africa.
In 2022, with the establishment of the Liaison Office as a full-fledged presence, its Strategic Note (2022-2025) which defines its key development results and management/operational results was developed. The Strategic Note (SN) is aligned with the global UN Women Strategic Plan (2022-2025), the AU GEWE Strategy (2018-2028), Agenda 2063 and other key GEWE frameworks of Africa as well as global normative frameworks including Agenda 2030. To support this process and ongoing collaborations with AU and other regional stakeholders, the Liaison Office proposes to hire an “Administrative Assistant” who will support the implementation of the SN and other priorities as a member of the Liaison Office team.
Under the overall guidance of the Special Representative to the AU & ECA and reporting to the Operations Manager, the Administrative Assistant supports operational functions of the office by performing a variety of standard administrative processes and procedures ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Assistant promotes a client, quality, and results-oriented approach. The Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with the programme and projects staff and the Operations team to ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide general administrative and logistical support to the Office in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and strategies.
- Support arrangements for staff and external travel and missions, consolidate travel and mission plans, in UNALL (internal system) including creation of travel profile, travel plan, travel request and travel claim) and follow up as needed.
- Maintain filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Maintain and update staff contact list and share with all staff on monthly basis.
- Create and upload vacancy announcement, compile matrixes, organize interview panels, and other tasks, as assigned;
- Support all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for the coordination of meetings, workshops, events, retreats and missions
- Follow up on finance related tasks such as payment for suppliers, timely submission of invoice, payment of Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA),
- Maintain staffing lists, reports, recruitment files and contract documents;
- Support leave management process
Provide administrative and assets management support
- Monitor and maintain office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery and keeping a log of distribution, and initiate stock replenishment on timely basis;
- Maintain records on assets management and prepare required reports;
- Maintain files and records relevant to office premises and related maintenance;
- Provide administrative support on office premises, utilities, security and maintenance of the building,
- Act as security focal point and liaise with UNDSS and other agencies on security issues, updating staff on security updates and advisories issued by UNDSS.
- Facilitate the purchase and issuance of telephone/airtime cards to staff with proper recording and reconciliation.
- Participate in inter-agency initiatives including Joint Working Groups on administration, logistics/transport
Provide administrative support on procurement of local and international transportation services
- Facilitate and support logistics for day to day of the special Representative and Liaison Office staff for by supporting the transportation needs of the office.
- Coordinate with drivers and ensure all necessary certifications and insurance are done for vehicles to be road worthy.
- Follow up with insurance companies and relevant authorities for any claims.
Provide administrative support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
- Ensure the team is updated on the operational procedures
- Facilitate trainings for the operations/projects staff on administration
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example.
- Ability to administer administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Good IT and web-based management skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, accounting/finance or related fields