UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Generation Equality is a multi-stakeholder initiative convened by UN Women to catalyze partners, increase investments for gender equality, drive results and accelerate the full and effective implementation of the Beijing Platform for Action and the Sustainable Development Goals. The initiative also aims to sustain and expand a movement of support for gender equality with civil society and youth leadership and activism at its heart. Generation Equality is fully embedded in UN Women’s Strategic Plan and aims to accelerate the achievement of results contained therein, notably by operationalizing the Strategic Plan’s vision of achieving results through partnerships. Generation Equality is also recognized by the Secretary-General’s “Common Agenda” as an important initiative for the UN system to take stock of and build on.
During the 2021 Generation Equality Forum, the Action Coalitions were launched to take on six critical issues that underpin gender equality. Along with the Compact on Women, Peace and Security and Humanitarian Action (WPS-HA Compact), they are a set of global, innovative, multi-stakeholder partnerships mobilizing the world to catalyze collective action; spark global and local conversations among generations; drive increased public and private investment; and deliver concrete, game-changing results for girls and women. Concerted effort, investments and accountability together with sustained solidarity for action is required to secure the gains secured at the Forums in Mexico and Paris, as well as ensure new momentum and commitments. Critical for the success of Generation Equality and the Action Coalitions is a well-resourced Accountability Framework of the Action Coalitions. Established through consultations with Generation Equality Stakeholders, the Action Coalitions Monitoring and Accountability Framework outlines the efforts required to hold Action Coalition Leaders and Commitment Makers accountable for the pledges made towards gender equality. The Framework is anchored in the Action Coalition’s Global Acceleration Plan for Gender Equality that outlines bold results that are to be achieved for each Action Coalition by 2026. The Monitoring and Accountability Framework for the Action Coalitions include four elements:
- Annual reporting on implementation of COMMITMENTS
- Biannual assessment of progress towards the global TARGETS set by blueprints in the Global Acceleration Plan
- Assessment of the extent Generation Equality reflects transformative PROCESSES
- STORIES OF IMPACT that demonstrate experience of challenges and change
UN Women is the custodian of the Action Coalition Monitoring and Accountability Framework which is led by the Research and Data Section in the Policy, Programme and Intergovernmental Division. To support this work, UN Women is seeking a Statistics and Data Consultant who will be reporting to Accountability Framework Lead.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Statistics and Data Consultant will support the effective implementation of the Accountability Framework. The consultant will support data compilation and analysis as relevant for monitoring and evaluation of the Action Coalitions and stakeholder engagement process, and contribute to the production of summaries of evaluations, donor and monitoring reports and further programmatic work. The Consultant will ensure quality and availability of statistics and evaluation information on the Action Coalitions for use by all relevant stakeholder as well as provide internal communication support across UN Women divisions and teams.
Collect, compile, research, and analyze data to support the production of the Annual GEF Monitoring and Accountability Report
- In charge of the development of the annual commitments reporting survey, and in collaboration with the Generation Equality Coordination Hub and Thematic Leads for the Action Coalitions, create reporting tools to support annual data collection by commitment makers to ensure high-quality and timely reporting on their commitments
- Develop and implement a quality assurance process and identify any data errors and gaps that impact accurate reporting, including by ensuring data quality by researching, collecting and assessing data source, verifying data with providers as necessary and resolve data that is incorrect, incomplete, improperly formatted, or duplicated;
- Assess lessons, recommend, and implement improvements in data collection and related processes and procedures;
- Produce statistical estimates and aggregates and conduct data analysis, develop data visualizations and write relevant sections of the report
- Work with the Generation Equality Phase II Coordination Hub and relevant teams to provide inputs, periodically update and ensure the quality of the Action Coalition commitments database
- Contribute to the production of Action Coalitions monitoring briefs, reports and other relevant materials.
- Provide technical assistance to Action Coalitions leads in UN Women on data collection, measurement and monitoring as needed;
Contribute to the Monitoring and Accountability Framework and other research and data activities
- Contribute to the design and delivery of tools for self-reporting by Commitment Makers
- Support the commissioning of Action Coalition’s in focus reports that assess and demonstrate the impact of commitments and experiences of Action Coalition and Compact commitment makers; findings used to provide support to leaders to develop tools, methodologies, and guidelines for their own use and conduct quality assurance
- Implement survey data dissemination activities such as updating survey directory through a validation and data cleaning process; prepare data and create graphs for interactive infographics and an interactive commitments’ implementation region map.
- Work collaboratively with leadership, staff, and partner agencies to assure a system wide, coordinated approach to data collection and reporting
- Represent UN Women in fora on research and data as requested.
- Provide substantive support to the supervisor and R&D section Chief as requested;
- Work on other assignments as and when requested by management;
- Use of Official time for self-learning.
- Provide any other related support to supervisor from time to time
Consultant’s Workplace and Official Travel
The consultant will be New York based. If the Consultant is required by the UN Women to travel beyond commuting distance from the Consultant’s usual place of residence, such travel shall be at the expense of UN Women, in accordance with UN Women’s regulations, rules, policies and procedures.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:
Key Performance Indicators
• Timely and quality implementation of research and data initiatives, in line with annual workplan and budget;
• Timely and quality delivery of the Annual Accountability Report;
• Timely and quality substantive contributions to normative and technical process, e.g. CSW and Expert Group Meetings;
• Timely and quality contributions to cross-cutting issues and support to regional and country offices;
• Substantive contributions to partnerships with other parts of UN Women.
- Excellent statistics and data analysis skills including in designing analyses of, and gathering and presenting data and statistics.
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Willingness to learn from and consult with colleagues for inputs and information sharing;
- Strong oral and writing skills;
- Excellent knowledge of statistical software, including STATA, R and advanced Excel is a must.
- Strong oral and writing skills;
- Good understanding of and commitment to gender equality and women's empowerment and its policy implications.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, and ability to work in multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environments; ability to build and promote partnerships across the organization and beyond;
- Ability to work under pressure on multiple projects whilst maintaining high-quality and timeliness.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification:
• Master degree (or equivalent) in development related disciplines, gender, economics, statistics, finance or public administration.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience conducting evaluative research using tools for systematizing and analyzing large amounts of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Strong analytical and report writing skills.
- Familiarity with UN Women is desirable and knowledge of the United Nations or a similar international organization context is a plus.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
How to Apply
- Personal CV or P11 (P11 can be downloaded from: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-P11-Personal-History-Form.doc )
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page)