BackgroundThe Bureau for Development Policy (BDP) provides policy advice and technical support to all of UNDP’s operations. The UNDP Gender Team located within BDP is at the forefront of UNDP's commitment to gender equality and women's empowerment. Guided by the UNDP Gender Equality Strategy, 2008-2013, the Gender Team, works to implement gender equality and women’s empowerment as a core objective of UNDP’s operations through mainstreaming gender perspectives into all core practices and through dedicated interventions that empower women and promote gender equality. This internship will support the work of the Gender Team’s Democratic Governance and Crisis Prevention and Recovery cluster.
- Support the Gender Team in its work with the Democratic Governance Group, Regional Bureaus, and UNDP country offices to ensure the mainstreaming of gender into Democratic Governance programming and policy development.
- Support the completion and launching of new knowledge products currently being developed including on; GBV, Gender Equality in Public Administrations, gender equality and women’s empowerment in post conflict and transitional contexts, women’s legal rights, and women’s political participation
- Assist in the preparation of the Gender Team’s contributions to relevant Interagency Task Forces, Working Groups and mechanisms.
- Assist in updating the Gender and Democratic Governance, Gender and CPR and GBV Service Spaces, including gathering and uploading resources into UNDP’s extranet platform - Teamworks.
- Assist with other functions of the Gender Team as needed.
The interns will be engaged full time for 6 months starting in mid-May 2013 to end of October 2013.
As per UNDP regulations, the intern will not receive any monetary compensation for her/his work with UNDP. The intern will work from UNDP’s office in New York. Day to day supervision of the intern will be undertaken by the Gender Team’s Democratic Governance Policy Advisor/Democratic Governance and CPR Cluster Leader.
- Strong organizational and research skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment;
- Excellent research, analytical, communication, and writing skills:
- Respect for Diversity: Understanding of the United Nations system, operations and structures, particularly those related to gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty. Commitment to UNDP’s vision, mission, and strategic goals. Experience working under minimum supervision and tight deadlines.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation:
- Graduate student in Development, Gender studies or related a field.
- Experience in the area of gender and democratic governance, Gender Based Violence, women’s human rights, and/or crisis prevention and recovery.
- Prior experience in the work environment of an international agency, NGOs, UN, or international institutions is preferred.
- Computer literate.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Second official UN language an asset.