Duties and ResponsibilitiesInfluencing Policy:
- Analyses, influences, advocate and recommend policies, systems of management and co-ordination to improve neonatal and young child survival in the State;
- Identifies and recommends necessary action for adjustments in the NIPI Newborn Project within the framework of Govt. of India’s RMNCH+A strategy and leverages Government/other resources to enhance coverage of services with quality.
- Provides advice and assistance to government officials and other partners in the planning and management of Newborn and Child Health Services through state specific PIPs;
- Designs the state specific NIPI-New-born project;
- Prepares, implements, monitors, and evaluates the NIPI assisted New-born and Child Health intervention packages viz. routine immunization, HBNC+, SNCU system strengthening including follow up of SNCU discharged cases, child health screening and early intervention services etc. This includes the strengthening of community-based systems (ASHA Chain) to enhance uptake of services leading to improved coverage;
- Guides and supports the State and district based personnel supported by NIPI.
- Convenes strategic partnerships to impact on overall policies for new born and child survival and development, to support the programmes and resources in the State;
- Participates in meetings with Ministries/Departments of Health and Family Welfare, (and others as needed), responsible for programme/project review, and follows up on implementation of recommendations and agreements;
- Fosters partnerships for RMNCH+A in the state with government, other agencies, professional bodies, technical institutions and NGO networks in the state, with special focus to enhance new-born and infant survival.
- Assists government authorities to strengthen the State training institutes (SIHFW, Medical Colleges, etc) to identify capacity-building needs and undertake capacity-building activities on New born and Child Health issues for different levels of health professionals and field-level functionaries;
- Provides technical expertise as required, facilitates learning exchanges as well as policy influencing.
- Facilitates the review of systems and capacities relating to the delivery of Newborn and child health services, in conjunction with State NRHM, and the interventions to improve such systems and capacities;
- Undertakes field visits to monitor programmes aimed at increased coverage of NIPI strategic interventions, as well as conducting periodic programme reviews with government counterparts and other partners.
- Writes inputs for State Coordination Committee proposals, status reports required for donor budget review, programme analysis, annual reports, case studies, etc. in a qualitative and timely manner.
- In consultation with the national team develop the budget for State NIPI newborn project.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
- NIPI approach and programming in NIPI Newborn project;
- National and State programme policy, procedures and guidelines in Maternal, Newborn and Child Health under NRHM.
- Technical knowledge of new born and child health.
- In depth understanding of new born and child Health Policy analysis and administration skills and issues;
- In-depth knowledge of RMNCH+A programmes in India and State;
- Familiarity as to how public administration systems affect delivery of results for children;
- Understanding of social mobilization and behaviour change communication, especially at community level
- Understanding of the importance and role of partnerships;
- Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills;
- Analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills;
- Report writing and documentation;
- Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications.
Required Skills and Experience
- MBBS with an advanced degree in any of the following disciplines: Public Health, Pediatrics, Health Policy & Management, Family Health, Socio-medical Sciences, Epidemiology, Health Education, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Educational Interventions in Health Care.
- A minmum of five (5) years of professional work experience at the State/National level in policy-cum-programme development, monitoring & implementation of primary health care programmes including experience in field-based management and implementation of Newborn and child survival and development initiatives.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English is required;
- A good working knowledge of local language of the duty station will be an asset.