BackgroundUNCDF is the UN’s capital investment agency for the world’s 49 least developed countries. It creates new opportunities for poor people and their communities by increasing access to microfinance and investment capital. UNCDF focuses on Africa and the poorest countries of Asia, with a special commitment to countries emerging from conflict or crisis. It provides seed capital – grants and loans – and technical support to help microfinance institutions reach more poor households and small businesses, and local governments finance the capital investments – water systems, feeder roads, schools, irrigation schemes – that will improve poor peoples’ lives. UNCDF programmes help to empower women, and are designed to catalyze larger capital flows from the private sector, national governments and development partners, for maximum impact toward the Millennium Development Goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
The intern will be part of the Knowledge Management, Policy and Advocacy Unit. Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of Knowledge, Policy Advocacy and working closely with the Local Development Academy (LDA) team, the intern will provide support to the development and implementation of LDA knowledge management activities.
The objective of the Academy is to offer a web-based source of knowledge and information specifically designed for local governments and local development practitioners across developing countries. The Academy's approach to sharing knowledge is centered on a Knowledge Map that captures the complexity of the local development/governance conceptual framework.
The Knowledge Management, Policy and Advocacy Unit is looking for an intern to deliver the following tasks during the summer period 2013:
- Provision of effective support in the preparation, planning, implementation of meetings and documents related to different corporate initiatives, such as the Stakeholders’ Consultation, the Post-2015 discussions, the new Corporate Management Plan and the identification of opportunities of new areas of work.
- Provision of effective support in codifying and sharing Knowledge within UNCDF and helping to ensure the implementation of existing knowledge management quality assurance processes to further rationalize KM tools and learning instruments.
- Assist the Web editor in updating content in the LDA website;
- Ensures the implementation of existing knowledge management quality assurance processes, including assessment of outcome and evaluation of impact of knowledge map work;
- Other assorted tasks or miscellaneous items as required or requested in the framework of the LD Academy project.
- Demonstrated capacity to strongly promote knowledge sharing and knowledge products and systems;
- Solid familiarity with current Knowledge Management technologies, including Web 2.0 and social media-based systems;
- Experience in coordinating tasks with diversified teams is an advantage;
- Good computer skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Currently pursuing a Masters Degree in International Cooperation and Development, Social Sciences, Finance, or related field with training in areas such as knowledge management, project management, team facilitation at the time of application and during the internship (if a candidate is graduating before the internship period begins, they are no longer eligible);
- Background in public administration, international relations and knowledge of current development issues is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. French is highly desirable.
Interns are not financially remunerated by UNCDF. The costs associated with the latter must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his/her own arrangements for travel, accommodation, etc. Proof of medical and life/accident insurance valid for the location in which the internship will be carried out (i.e. New York, USA). Have medical and life insurance;
The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNCDF but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
Please submit your application using the UNCDF Internship Application form: