To provide technical assistance for two projects “Early recovery of social services and peacebuilding in Donetsk and Lugansk oblasts” (Japan 1) and “Emergency Education Response: Improving access to quality education children affected by the crisis in Eastern Ukraine” (Japan 2) which includes rehabilitation of 45 education institutions in Donetsk and Luhansk oblast.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of the Contract with expected results/outcome/products/sub products/outputs:
- Full and appropriate implementation of the project activities;
- Project results, experiences, lessons learned and best practices are recorded and disseminated at the national and regional levels;
- Project reporting, quality control and closure activities completed.
Deliverables based on the work plan
- To assist in preparation of specifications, SOW/SOR (Statement of Works) and other supportive documents to procure goods and services in line with Projects objectives and tasks;
- To assist UNICEF international construction engineer in drafting statement of work including general/technical specifications, cost estimatesfor schools undera school rehabilitation project taking in to account the applicable national/and international standards;
- To work as part of the site management team liaising with and working alongside Contractor’s Project Manager, supervisors and sub-contractor’s (if any);
- To assist in inspection and ensuring the quality of materials used and work performed complies with Contract specifications, drawings and BOQs (Bills of Quantities);
- To monitor the field activities, including daily inspection of materials/works, quality of materials/work, and supervision of repair, maintenance and rehabilitation works under the two projects and provide technical support to ensure the project results are achieved within stipulated time lines;
- To participate in biweekly meetings with UNDP and other stakeholders to discuss the progress of works, technical matters and the bottlenecks attributing delay in timely completion of the projects;
- To participate in weekly performance review meetings to discuss the work progress in line with planned progress, variance and strategy to mitigate to achieve project completion within Contract duration;
- To participate in preparation of the detailed implementation work plans and other related documents in consultation with international engineer, for timely commencement, implementation and completion of project activities;
- To liaise with respective governmental organizations to ensure the project activities are implemented in accordance with contract specifications, drawings/BOQs;
- To assist in coordination with relevant governmental, non-governmental and international organizations, including UN agencies and projects at national level and regional levels for mutually reinforcing impact;
- To assist in preparing weekly/monthly progress reports to record on-going progress, variance and site issues if any
- To assist in validation of works on-ground in accordance with contract specifications, drawings and BOQs;
- To assist in inspection and providing certification of satisfactory completion of works by contractorsfor payment of their completed works;
- To prepare sections of the project reports, including progress and performancereports, as well as ad-hoc technical reports;
- To perform activities or any additional related tasks as requested by the project manager/ and international UNICEF engineer.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results:
- Work plan for both projects is fully and timely implemented;
- Component funds delivery reached 100%;
- Project activities are carried out in strict accordance with contract specifications and UNICEF rules and procedures.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering/Architecture, Management, Economics or other relevant field; Master Degreewill be considered as an advantage;
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience in the field of community-based infrastructures;
- At least 3 years of experience in designing and managing civil engineering rehabilitation projects;
- Experience of working with relevant stakeholders from the governmental and non-governmental institutions involved into IDPs and recovery issues at the national and sub-national levels;
- Familiarity with UNICEF bidding procedures for procurement of civil works and services will be considered as advantage;
- Fluency in English, Ukrainian and Russian.
Definition of supervision arrangements:
Under the overall supervision of the UNICEF Project Manager and direct supervision of the UNICEF Construction Engineer, the National Consultant on Engineering and Construction will be responsible to ensure the execution of rehabilitation of schools in Donetsk and Lugansk regions in accordance with Contract specifications, drawings and BOQs taking in to account the local/and international applicable construction and WASH standards.
Description of official travel involved: Official travels to Donetsk and Luhansk
Support provided by UNICEF: Specialist on Engineering and Construction will be supervised by UNICEF Construction Engineer and will support him in implementation of rehabilitation part of the projects.
The deadline for submission of applications is 12 June, 2015.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applicants that fulfil the above requirements are requested to complete a United Nations Personal History Form (P. 11) which is available at a web-site www.unicef.org/employ and submit it together with a CV and a cover letter describing your professional interests in working for UNICEF.
Please, indicate National Consultant on Engineering and Construction
in the subject.
Fax No. 380-44-230-2506
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.