- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Fiji (Multi-country Office)
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- About Us
- News Centre
|Location :||Brasília, BRAZIL|
|Application Deadline :||25-Aug-15 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-4|
|Languages Required :||English Portuguese|
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Communications Coordinator, the Communications Associate supports the formulation and implementation of the communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UNDP with partners, the media and the public. The Communications Associate promotes a client-oriented approach in UNDP Brazil.
The Communications Associate works in close collaboration with UNDP Brazil Programme and Operations teams, staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff (Communications Office) and Regional Communications Advisor, Government officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society. The Communications Associate may supervise support staff of the Communications Unit.
A communications strategy tightly linked to Programme priorities helps position UNDP Brazil in key development areas as a leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support the Communications Coordinator in the formulation and implementation of communications and advocacy strategies and priorities
- Support to elaboration and implementation of UNDP Brazil audio-visual strategy, including publications strategy
- Maintenance of website(s) and other online platforms managed by UNDP Brazil
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Assist Communications Coordinator with administrative and logistical tasks related to the Communications Unit
1. Supports the Communications Coordinator in the formulation and implementation of internal and external communications and advocacy strategies, supports business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to the Communications Coordinator in providing communications needs assessments for UNDP Brazil (projects, country programme and corporate change initiatives, etc) as requested
- Provision of inputs and information for the elaboration and update of UNDP Brazil communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy.
- In coordination with supervisor, development and preparation of materials for marketing and awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases.
- Promote increased awareness of UNDP’s mandate and goals through dissemination of information, organization of public events, press conferences, interviews with UNDP Brazil’s officials and media relations
- Ensure: prompt response to requests from internal clients, press, partners and target audiences; updated mailing lists; and implementation of UNDP Brazil’s external relations approach
- Review of reference material and identification of reference content for retention; research and analysis of data from external sources.
- Maintenance of information database and audio-visual library.
- Support to the organization and implementation of the local UN Communications Group (UNCG) joint activities and campaigns (Humanitarian Day, UN Day, World AIDS Day, among others.)
2. Provides support to the elaboration and implementation of UNDP Brazil audio-visual strategy, including marketing materials and publications strategy and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Provision of inputs and information for elaboration of UNDP Brazil audio-visual strategy, including publications and marketing materials strategy based on the corporate policies and guidelines.
- Production and identification of storylines, photos and videos for publications and other marketing and audio-visual materials contributing to debates on key development issues.
- Technical supervision of translation/adaptation/rewriting of information received, printing, editing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials.
- Contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure production.
- Promote dissemination of such materials.
3. Ensures the update and maintenance of UNDP Brazil web site(s) and other online
Platforms, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assistance in the update and maintenance of website(s) and social media platforms managed by UNDP Brazil, in line with corporate branding and style requirements.
- Preparation/checking the content for the online platforms to ensure consistency of the materials.
- Preparation of special content based on internal and external demands relevant to UNDP Brazil Communications and Outreach strategy.
- Follow-up with partners and mainly the press for dissemination of such material 4. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to UNDP Brazil programme goals and activities.
- Support the supervisor in guiding and coaching UNDP Brazil staff in identifying, documenting and drafting of best practices and lessons learned.
- Support to the Communications Coordinator in the organization of training and workshops for effective communications and advocacy practices of key staff members.
- Ensure the organization of the Communications Unit folders and files in the server, according to key activities and demands
- Support supervisor in the preparation of briefings, talking points and speeches, in close collaboration with staff and experts
- Production of the Communications Unit activity reports, organization of minutes for relevant meetings, constant follow-up and organization of analytical data related to the dissemination of UNDP Brazil messages through its communications channels
- Help the supervisor in the preparation of daily news clippings on stories related to UNDP Brazil mandate and activities; organize such material for internal dissemination.
- Preparation of PowerPoint and Prezi presentations related the Communications Unit activities and support to other UNDP Brazil units in preparing and reviewing similar materials for internal and external audiences.
5. Assist Communications Coordinator with administrative and logistical tasks related to the Communications Unit
- Administrative and logistical support to the communications team, including preparation of trips, high-level missions, organization of calendars, meetings and other activities and events.
- Administrative support in the internal operational platforms as required, including registration of suppliers (creation of vendors) and other forms related to payments, reimbursements, travel authorizations, etc.
- Assist the Communications Coordinator in organizing the prioritizing internal and external demands, supporting the unit in the distribution of tasks IV.
The key results have an impact on creating effective communications and dissemination of information on UNDP as UN’s global development network. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.