The objective of this Term of Reference is to hire a Project Officer that designs and implements relevant and consistent project portfolio, and provides technical advices, and analysis to support the transition to green economy through Sustainable Consumption and Production initiatives in Brazil. . The project officer analyzes political, social and economic trends and leads formulation, management and evaluation of project activities within his/her regional portfolio under the supervision of the Senior Project Officer and of the Representative of UN Environment Office in Brazil. He/she advocates all programmatic themes of UN Environment and SDG’s, and strengthen communications and networks with relevant stakeholders including private sector as a leading partner for enhancing SCP and for fostering a green economy transformation.
All services to be performed under this Term of Reference (ToR) will have a direct impact on the development and implementation of the Project “10 YFP Sustainable Consumption and Production” and relevant projects (e.g. PAGE project).
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Officer designs and implements relevant and consistent project portfolio, and provides technical advices, and analysis to support the transition of green economy through sustainable consumption and production projects and initiatives (SCP), in Brazil. The project officer analyzes political, social and economic trends and leads formulation, management and evaluation of project activities in the supervision of the Senior Project Officer and representative of UN Environment Brazil. He/she advocates on all programmatic themes of UN Environment and SDG’s, and strengthen communications and networks with relevant stakeholders including private sector as a leading partner for enhancing SCP and for fostering a green economy Transformation and climate change mitigation and adaptation. The tasks and responsibilities include:
Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP)
Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation;
Provides substantive support to SCP initiatives, South-South cooperation and other meetings, conferences, etc., and undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars to foster SCP initiatives and activities;
Manages relevant policy development initiatives and in the development of linkages and coordination on the issues of sustainable consumption and production (e.g. ecolabelling and voluntary sustainability standards) with the 10YFP programmes,
Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Technical advisory to transit green economy and promote mitigation and adaptation actions for climate change in the multidisciplinary sector (e.g. renewable energy, sanitation, transport, tourism, and etc) and further policies implementation in Brazil;
- Design and manage the green economy projects/initiatives, focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation, collaboration with other UN agencies and funding institution;
- Prepare project proposals and other funding agreements; progress reports, financial statements, and related project documents;
- Liaison with governments and other stakeholders (including the civil society and the private sector) in Brazil and in other regions, when applicable, to identify needs and design and implement advisory services;
- Promote exchange and dissemination of information on best practices and lessons learned related to green economy initiatives;
- Foster outreach and capacity building activities in the country and region by organizing workshops, seminars and other; and enhance partnership with private sector.
- Performs other related duties as required, including a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of the work unit's services;
- Undertakes on-the-job and other training activities, both internally and externally;
- Participate in periodic coordination meetings with project team (UN Environment and National Executing Agency), and with the working groups created within the project framework;
- Provide assistance in analysis and review of reports developed by consultants and local implementing agencies;
- Keep control of the delivery of products by consultants and contracted institutions; as well as of the effected payments;
- Provide assistance in external midterm and final evaluations, as well as in auditing processes.
Specific tasks and responsibilities
Permanent communication with United Nations Environment Programme Senior Programme Officer in Brazil and Representative; Travel availability.
The Service Contractor will perform its duties and responsibilities under the supervision of the Senior Project Officer and Representative of UN Environment Brazil.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN Environment;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed. Good communication and capacity for writing texts, documents, reports and correspondences; Ability to manage administrative and financial processes; Ability to make inter-institutional contact with government bodies, institutions, companies, and others.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; Empowers others to translate vision into results; Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing, mutually agreeable solutions; Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo; Shows the courage to take unpopular stands.
Required Skills and Experience
Academic Background Requirements:
Post-Graduate degree in Economics, Environmental Science, Environmental Management, or Public Policy or related field (Lato Sensu or Stricto Sensu) or additional 5 years of relevant experience to the post, beyond the requirement.
Mandatory Work Experience:
Minimum of 8 years of experience in the field of environment and/or development, preferably with a focus on sustainable consumption and production, green economy, environmental policy development, including project management, is required.
Desirable Work Experience:
Desirable expertise in the areas related to the services to be performed;
Experience related to policy analysis, project development and management in international arena, partnership with private sector, preferably in Brazil and in any related to the UN System, is highly desirable; Knowledge of UN procedures and cooperation mechanisms with other UN agencies and financial institution will be an asset;
Language requirements: Fluency, oral and written, in English and Portuguese.
*UNDP is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious and ethnic backgrounds, representing the diversity of Brazil, such as black and indigenous people, to apply to become a part of our organization. Candidates will be treated equally regardless of gender, sexual orientation, special needs, social and HIV/aids status. UNDP is a smoke-free environment.
Applicants must be Brazilian nationals or have permission to work in Brazil.
>>> SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS <<<
Click "Apply Now". After filling the fields and clicking in "Submit Application", you MUST attach in the next page (upload resume) the UNDP Personal History Form - P11 (instead of your CV).
Only applications made on UNDP Personal History Form - P11 and submitted on time in the UNDP Jobs System will be examined.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Due to the volume of applications received, receipt of applications cannot be acknowledged individually. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.