The UNDP Cambodia Country Office is now offering internship opportunities for national and international students from various disciplines. Students are welcomed to apply and, if qualified, will be selected for the internship. Through the Internship Programme, the successfully selected applicants will have an opportunity to work in a multi-cultural and UN standard working environment either relating to the organization’s key priorities or operations.
Areas of internship include:
- Policy and Advocacy (support to policy research)
- Operations (Administration, Finance, Human Resources, Procurement and Information Communication Technology - ICT)
- Programme and Result
Internship assignments vary in length according to the availability and academic requirements of the intern, as well as the needs of UNDP Cambodia. However, they will normally last no less than six weeks and no longer than six months.
Internship assignments are available on a part-time or full-time basis throughout the year, depending on the availability of meaningful assignments and the needs and capacity of the office to receive and mentor interns.
Interns are not financially remunerated by UNDP Cambodia.
All costs connected with an intern's participation in the Internship Programme must be borne by:
- the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students;
- the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his/her own arrangements for travel (including to and from the office), visas, accommodation, etc.
Cost incurred by interns, including undertaking official travel at the request of UNDP Cambodia, in the discharge of the activities related to the internship shall be reimbursed by UNDP Cambodia on the same basis as costs incurred by staff members or cost reimbursed to staff members, including payment of daily subsistence allowance, as applicable.
UNDP Cambodia accepts no responsibility for the medical and life insurance of the intern or costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship.
Applicants (for international intern) must show proof of valid medical insurance for Cambodia where they will work. It must include adequate coverage in the event of an injury or illness during the internship which:
- requires transportation to the Home Country or Country of Residence for further treatment; or
- results in death and requires preparation and return of the remains to the Home Country, or Country of Residence.
UNDP is not responsible for any claims by any parties where the loss of or damage to their property, death or personal injury was caused by the actions or omission of action by the interns during their internship.
The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNDP but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship. Interns cannot apply for posts during the period of internship.
- Interns are considered gratis personnel. They are not staff members.
- Interns may not be sought or accepted as substitutes for staff to be recruited against authorized posts.
- Interns may not represent UNDP Cambodia in any official capacity.
The selected applicants are to submit the following documents to HR Unit:
- a duly completed UNDP internship application form;
- a copy of her/his most recent resume or curriculum vitae;
- a letter from her/his university confirming current enrollment and graduation date or a copy of university degree if graduated;
- university transcript;
- a copy of passport for international intern or national identity card for national intern;
- a signed UNDP internship agreement;
- a medical certificate of good health;
- a proof of medical insurance for the duration of the contract valid for Cambodia (for international intern).
Duties and Responsibilities
The main duties that the intern will be expected to carry out are:
- Conducting research;
- Assisting in the preparation of various documentation and reports;
- Assisting in the cataloguing of information;
- Assisting in the organization of conferences, forums or other collaborative events;
- Contributing in the development of communication and knowledge product and visibility promotion.
- Demonstrate commitment to UNDP Cambodia’s mission, vision and values;
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Focus on result for the client and respond positively to feedback;
- Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
UNDP Cambodia may accept interns providing the following conditions are met:
- Candidates enrolled in a degree programme in a graduate school (second university degree or higher); or
- Candidates enrolled in the third year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Candidates who have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (1) and (2) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- Proficiency in English required. Fluency Khmer or in French is an asset;
- Computer literate in standard software applications;
- Demonstrated keen interest in the work of the UN, and of UNDP in particular, and have a personal commitment to UNDP's Statement of Purpose and to the ideals of the UN Charter;
- Demonstrated the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the application attached with a resume or curriculum vitae to the UNDP website: http://www.kh.undp.org/content/cambodia/en/home/operations/jobs/
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.