The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Lao PDR Country Office is providing support to national authorities in the Lao PDR for strengthening the National Designated Authority (NDA) and associated institutional infrastructure necessary for effective resource mobilization through the Green Climate Fund. The project will aim to build capacity and build the national framework for GCF engagement through:
1. Building NDA capacity to perform its roles and responsibilities for GCF-related matters?
2. Development of a country programme aligned with Lao PDR’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) and based on GCF criteria and approval process
Based on the proposal developed in collaboration with the Department of Climate Change in the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE), the eighteen (18) month project will strengthen the national coordination mechanisms for conceptualizing, developing and submitting new, transformative projects for funding under the GCF framework. This will involve broad, multi-sector stakeholder consultations with government, the private sector, NGOs and CBOs. The National Project Coordinator will also work closely with DCC and UNDP to coordinate training for government personnel and the development of a comprehensive country programme. The incumbent will be required to be conversant with the energy landscape in Insert Country Name, including the national Low-Carbon Climate-Resilient Development Strategy (LCCRDS) i.e. the NDC, as well as have a clear understanding of national energy and disaster risk reduction priorities.
Under the guidance of the Project Steering Committee (PSC) and the Deputy Director General of DCC (National Designated Authority for the GCF), the National Senior Climate Change Consultant Expert will report to DCC and work in collaboration with the UNDP Lao PDR Country Office to achieve stated project outcomes. S/he will perform coordination as well as technical tasks as detailed below.
Duties and Responsibilities
I. Coordination and Monitoring Role (25%)
- Support the delivery of high quality project outputs through support of preparation of annual and quarterly work plans, budgets and updated procurement plans;
- Undertake project monitoring in line with the monitoring plan and against the approved work plan and budget;
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly and annual implementation reports and ad hoc status updates;
- Completion of all other UNDP and GCF-required reporting, including to the Project Steering Committee; ?
- Provide communication support on the project to all stakeholders, and logistical support to project activities and personnel, when required; ?
- Lead related procurement processes, including preparation of TORs and convening evaluation committees; ?
- Ensure that value for money is observed throughout project implementation, including compliance to guidelines for allowable expenses at established rates; ?
- Manage the financial resources in line with UNDP requirements, ensuring accountability and transparency;
- Manage and monitor the project risks initially identified and progressively provide management updates and submit new risks if any to the Project Steering Committee for consideration and decision on possible actions if required. He/she will update the status of these risks by maintaining the project risk log; ?
- Capture lessons learnt during project implementation; ?
- Prepare, in consultation with the partners, TORs for consultants and comment on their reports;
- Coordinate the logistics arrangement of capacity and awareness of key stakeholders regarding ?climate finance readiness, including among the private sector and civil society; ?
- Ensure the quality of the translation to Lao/English of relevant documents.
II. Technical role (75%):?Technical role under Outcome 1 (40%). NDA capacity strengthening ?
- Undertake a capacity gaps assessment of the DCC to perform its NDA role; ?
- Facilitate the provision of training to the NDA core team and Department of Climate Change ?on the identified priority areas;
- Support the establishment and implementation of stakeholder consultation mechanism ?
- Support development of structure for NDA Team along with the ToR; ?
- Establish support roles for the NDA and national coordination mechanisms; ?
- Facilitate the technical meeting between DCC and other relevant stakeholders – national ?and international;
- Responsible of the establishment and operationalization of a Climate Finance Steering Committee; ?
- Support the establishment and document a Lao PDR “No-Objection Procedures” for different type of GCF instruments and projects; ?
- Provide capacity-building for the Climate Finance Steering Committee and other key stakeholders on GCF processes, requirements, and investment criteria with the support of international experts; ?
- Undertake awareness raising activities among the stakeholders; ?
- Responsible for the preparation of the ToR necessary for the information repository, including the web-based platform. ?
III. Technical role under Outcome 2 (35%): Stakeholders engagement in GCF consultative processes & country programming ?
- Undertake an assessment of the existing of existing plans and policies for alignment with national priorities; ?
- Support the establishment of technical thematic groups for scoping and screening sectoral and stakeholder submissions;?
- Support the development of documented mechanisms of screening, prioritizing and recommending proposals to GCF Secretariat; ?
- Support the NDA on the stakeholder engagement and consultative processes at the national level; ?
- Responsible of the stakeholder engagement and consultative processes at the district level;
- Support the NDA on the development of a GCF country programme
- Demonstrated excellence in clear, concise and convincing writing and communication skills; ?
- Highly organized with strong analytical and research skills; ?
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a collaborative team and process; ?
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders across a wide range of disciplines; ?
- Ability to work with diverse partners and ensure coherence in activities; ?
- Ability to identify areas of potential conflicts and take appropriate steps to deal with these;
- Promotes sharing of knowledge and experience, and actively works towards continued ?personal learning and development; ?
- Good practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues; ?
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which ?expand the range of projects; ?
- Builds strong relationships with all partner, focuses on impact and results and responds ?positively to critical feedback; ?
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude; ?
- Proven networking, team building, organizational and communication skills; ?
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Master’s degree in environmental science/management/policy, finance, economics or other relevant subject.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in policy analysis, advice and capacity development ?related to climate and/or development finance, public policy/finance/budget management and in engagement of the private sector/finance sector in climate related activities in developing countries;
- Expertise and experience in climate change and relevant sectors such as energy, forestry, agriculture, water and cross-cutting issues such as gender;
- Experience in programme design, monitoring and evaluation is an asset; ?
- Experience working for the Government of Lao PDR and UN is an asset.
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English