The purpose of the consultancy is to provide a mixed method survey approach to be used in baseline and end line surveys. In this regard, one expert for methodological design (hereinafter the Consultant) will be engaged.
The main objective of the consultancy will be to propose a detailed methodology for a perception survey including tools, baseline and end-line frameworks along with tools to be used to gather data/information, quality assurance mechanism of data /information collection, sampling guidelines, pilot testing, roles and responsibilities of team members, key milestones and detailed work plan.
Based on a BiH-focused “Dialogue for the Future” joint project, implemented in Bosnia and Herzegovina since 2014, under the auspices of the BiH Presidency, UNDP, UNESCO and UNICEF developed a joint regional programme. The regional programme will include Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and the Republic of Serbia, seeking to enhance stability and trust in and between communities living in these countries through joint identification and action on common social cohesion priorities. Funded by the Peacebuilding Fund, the joint regional programme will also work to:
- Enable adolescents and youth in contributing to positive transformations of their communities and the region,
- Support women’s social, economic and political empowerment,
- Promote unbiased reporting and positive storytelling of the media,
- Strengthen teachers’ and trainers’ competencies in civic education and inter-cultural dialogue.
One of the programme interventions is a) baseline and b) endline perception survey. The survey aims to a) inform implementation of programme interventions (baseline survey) and b) contribute to assessing the results and impact of the joint programme (endline survey).
UNDP Bosnia and Herzegovina, as leading agency for this joint regional programme, seeks to recruit a perception survey expert who will propose a mixed method survey approach to be used for baseline and endline surveys in the joint programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
This consultancy will contribute to the appropriate stocktaking at baseline stage and contribute to assessment of results and impact of the joint regional programme.
In this context, the scope of work for this consultancy will involve a comprehensive review of the methodology applied in the BiH-focused stream of Dialogue for the Future, the available and relevant perception surveys covering the three participating countries (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and the Republic of Serbia), and a proposal for baseline/endline survey approach in the joint programme, taking into account that survey should cover territories where the programme activities will not be implemented, but which are relevant to the overall joint programme’s strategy.
More specifically, the Consultant will undertake the following main tasks:
Task 1: Desk review
Under this Task, the Consultant will meet with the UN project team, become familiar with the joint programme, including the programme document and the methodology used for baseline study under the BiH-focused Dialogue for the Future, done in early 2019. Specifically, for the baseline methodology used for the BiH-focused project, the Consultant should assess the applicability of this methodology in the other two participating countries. The Consultant is also expected to review any related and available perception survey material (completed surveys researching the same questions) available for the three participating countries. A desk review report containing preliminary analysis and consultancy work plan are to be submitted to the UN project team and discussed jointly.
Expected duration of the assignment under this task is 4 days.
Task 2: Proposal of perception survey methodology.
Perception survey including tools, baseline and end-line frameworks along with tools to be used to gather data/information, quality assurance mechanism of data /information collection, sampling guidelines, pilot testing, roles and responsibilities of team members, key milestones and detailed work plan.
Expected duration of the assignment under this task should not exceed 7 days.
Task 3: Presentation of perception survey methodology.
The Consultant will meet with the UN project team and present the methodology.
Expected duration of the assignment under this task should not exceed 1 day.
Deliverables and Timeline
Consultant is responsible for the following deliverables:
Deliverables / outputs
# of days per task
Task 1: Desk review
4 expert days
01 June 2019
Task 2: Proposal of perception survey methodology
7 expert days
10 June 2019
Task 3: Presentation of perception survey methodology
1 expert days
14 June 2019
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the United Nations;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication and diplomatic skills, ability to work individually and in a team;
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback;
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful situations;
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities;
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- A university degree in statistics, social science or related field
- At least 5 years of progressive experience in designing and conducting surveys/research;
- Experience in developing survey reports, critical analysis and social science assessment;
- Proven assessment, analytical and social research skills;
- Proven communication and advocacy skills, and ability to work in an environment requiring liaison and collaboration with a team;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Excellent and advanced computer skills (MS Office applications) and ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
- Fluency in English;
- Knowledge of languages spoken in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and the Republic of Serbia will be considered an asset.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
b) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Documents to Be Included When Submitting the Proposals
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
o Cover/motivation letter in English language
2. Financial proposal
- Completed and signed the?Offeror’s template Confirming Interest and Availability (please follow the link: https://popp.undp.org/_layouts/15/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=/UNDP_POPP_DOCUMENT_LIBRARY/Public/PSU_%20Individual%20Contract_Offerors%20Letter%20to%20UNDP%20Confirming%20Interest%20and%20Availability.docx&action=default);
- Latest personal CV, including past experience from similar projects, and email, telephone and any other contact details for references;
Financial proposal which will separately specify professional fee, indicating number of anticipated working days, travel costs (air-ticket or use of private vehicle), living allowance, and all other applicable costs.
The financial proposal includes daily fees, transport and accommodation costs for the assignment, and any other associated costs in USD.
All envisaged travel costs must be included in the financial proposal. This includes all travel to join duty station/repatriation travel.
Criteria Weight Max. Point
- University degree in statistics, social science or related field 25% 35;
- Experience in developing social research methodologies, survey reports, critical analysis and social science assessment 60% 60;
- Knowledge of English and the languages of the Western Balkans region 15% 15.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 50% would be considered for the technical evaluation
70% Max. Point
- Qualification Score (weighted) 30% 30;
- Previous concrete work design of perception survey instruments 35% 35;
- Previous participation in conduct of perception surveys 15% 15;
- Experience in developing survey reports, critical analysis and social science assessment 10% 10;
- Proven analytical skills and ability to conceptualize and write concisely and clearly 10% 10.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 60% of the technical evaluation score would be considered for the financial evaluation
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 65 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.