- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Fiji (Multi-country Office)
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- About Us
- News Centre
Sustainable Cities Specialist for the #NextGenCities project (National Consultant)
|Location :||Manila, PHILIPPINES|
|Application Deadline :||29-Jun-20 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||National Consultant|
|Languages Required :||English|
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||90 working days|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||6 July to 7 December 2020|
A. Project Title
Accelerator Lab Philippines (00118909 / 00115528)
B. Project Description
The UNDP Strategic Plan 2018-2021 commits the organization to help countries find faster, more durable solutions towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and address long-standing, complex challenges, such as urbanization, climate change, and rising inequalities that may impede achievement of Agenda 2030.
Among the new generation of solutions launched by UNDP is the Accelerator Lab Network. Aiming to build the largest and fastest learning global network embedded in its bureaucracy, UNDP has set up Accelerator Labs in an initial set of 60 countries, including the Philippines. The labs are tasked to pursue interdisciplinary approaches and non-linear solutions that crowd in the collective efforts of variety of partners and tap into local insights and the knowledge of people closest to the problem and the solutions. Through the Accelerator Labs, UNDP aims to introduce a range of new services to partners—including sensemaking, collective intelligence, solutions mapping, and experimentation—to accelerate the testing and dissemination of solutions within and across countries.
With the arrival of the COVID-19 virus, cities are on the frontline of both the current phase of managing and coping with the immediate effects of virus transmission as well as being confronted with the challenge of recovery and resilience planning. UNDP Philippines led by the Accelerator Lab team has been engaging with two cities in Metro Manila – Pasig and Marikina – to develop a program of support based around the concept of “strategic risk management”. The COVID context makes such work more urgent but with the ongoing community quarantine in the Philippines, the mode of delivery and content of the planned training sessions would need to reviewed and revised.
The focus of UNDP’s support is to enable selected cities in Metro Manila to futureproof and accelerate sustainable development impact through dynamic management of strategic risks, opportunities and innovation. It aims to empower city leaders and their teams by providing a series of strategic options to better understand the key risks they are facing and exploit the transformative opportunities available to them and ultimately increase their effectiveness in creating citizen centered, livable and sustainable city spaces. This is anchored in the view of strengthening democracy and scaling participatory governance, while ensuring that no one is left behind.
UNDP requires the services of a Sustainable Cities Specialist as an individual consultant (IC) with deep local knowledge and experience of urban issues and strong partner networks to provide analysis and advice to both the CO and the private sector partner implementing the program of technical assistance based in the two cities being currently supported under the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
C. Scope of Work and Outputs
The IC shall support the ALab team in undertaking operations related to project management, partnership engagement, research and knowledge management of the #NextGenCities Philippines initiative. In particular:
1. Strategic engagement – strengthening city partnerships and relationship management, including:
a. Engagement with and securing commitment of city champions for #NextGenCities activities;
b. Provide strategic entry points to engage a diverse range of external partners across sectors i.e. government, development partners, private sector, academic partners and unusual partners;
c. Mapping stakeholders, capabilities and advocacies for programmatic synergies;
d. Other related support.
2. Experiment design and knowledge management – contribute technical expertise and analysis for cities programming through:
a. Provision of technical analysis and insights into #NextGenCities programming and reference to related case studies, literature, policies, academic research, data and other materials;
b. Facilitate co-design of experiment portfolio between international expertise and local champions;
c. Drafting of policy notes, strategic briefs, presentations, communication materials, and other materials;
d. Other related support.
3. Project management and operational support – planning and implementation of #NextGenCities activities, through:
a. Lead coordination with international consultants, responsible parties and grantees;
b. Organization and documentation of activities such as field missions, workshops, training, meetings, etc.;
c. Compliance with management requirements and progress tracking;
d. Other related support.
D. Expected Outputs and Deliverables
E. Governance and Accountability
1. The Consultant shall be directly supervised by the Head of Exploration of UNDP Accelerator Lab PH, with whom all outputs shall be submitted and through whom all communications shall be coursed or copied.
2. The Consultant may also be required to coordinate with and seek guidance from key members of the UNDP Team, particularly: at the Bangkok Regional Hub, the Head and other officials of the Regional Innovation Center; and in the Philippine Country Office, the Resident Representative, Deputy Resident Representative, Senior Policy Advisor, relevant Outcome Leads, Institutions and Partnerships (I&P) Programme Analyst, and Heads of Experimentation and Solutions Mapping of the Accelerator Lab Philippines.
3. The Consultant is expected to provide his/her own laptop for the work requirement. S/he will be provided with desk space and access to office facilities and equipment. S/he will also be support by UNDP staff for administrative and logistic requirements, as necessary.
F. Duration of Work and Duty Station
Duty station is Manila. The expected duration of the assignment is 90 working days between 29 June to 30 November 2020, unless revised in a mutually agreed upon timetable between the Consultant, ALab PH Head of Exploration, and IAT-SPA.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and declaration of State of Public Health Emergency in the Philippines, all work and travel of the Individual consultant shall be done within the guidelines and protocols set by the local and national government. Field work, trainings, meetings, and coordination shall be done in compliance with community quarantine policies.
 The work is being led by a team from ContextF.
· Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN mission, vision, values and ethical standards
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
· Demonstrates strong analytical skills and mature judgement well-planned and organized;
· Ability to work in close collaboration with a group of national and international experts, to meet strict deadlines and plan the work according to priorities;
· Demonstrates capacity to plan, organize and execute effectively;
· Ability to establish effective working relations in a multi-cultural team environment;
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
· Facilitates and encourages open communication in the team and with stakeholders;
· Excellent written communication and presentation/public speaking skills
Required Skills and Experience
. G. Professional Qualifications of the Successful Consultant
Minimum passing score is 70 over 100 obtainable points. Only those who obtain the minimum passing score will be shortlisted for an interview.
Scope of Price Proposal and Schedule of Payment
Recommended Presentation of Offer
Criteria for Selection of Best Offer
Applications from qualified candidate will be reviewed by the UNDP Philippines’ evaluation committee. Assessment of best offer will be via Combined Scoring method—where the qualifications (see above criteria) will be weighted 40%, and the interview will be weighted 30%, and the financial proposal (price offer) will be weighted 30%.
Offerors must upload in one (1) file the 4 abovementioned documents (see Recommended Presentation of Offer). Templates for a) P11 Personal History Form and b) Offeror's Letter to UNDP Confirming Interest and Availability are available through the link below. UNDP General Terms and Conditions for Individual Contractors are also available:
Incomplete submission of required documents may result in disqualification.
Please see deadline of submissions above.
In view of the volume of applications UNDP receives, only shortlisted offerors will be notified.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.