With the roll out of the new federal system of governance including 7 provincial, 77 districts and 753 local governments in 2017, institutionalization of the model through MEDPA demanded new commitments from the newly formed governments. Further, the shift of MEDPA Conditional Grant from Provinces to Local Governments from Fiscal Year 2077/78 has created a demand of Technical Assistance support.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Orient elected authorities, and relevant staffs of local governments, District Coordination Committee (DCC) and staffs of DCSIO/CSIDBO, on the Micro Enterprise Development model and its implementation process;
- Provide technical support to local governments to incorporate microenterprise development-related policies, regulations and guidelines for the successful implementation of MEDPA and institutionalization of MED model;
- Provide technical support to Local Governments (LGs) to implement MEDPA as per approved MEDPA Operational Guidelines by Federal Government;
- Advice local governments to allocate the budget for MED and support local government to utilize the budget as per the MED model;
- Provide facilitation support to LGs for MEDPA implementation to mobilize Enterprise Development Facilitators (EDFs) and undertake the procurement process for Business Development Service Providers (BDSPOs), so as to guarantee quality, efficiency and flexibility;
- Support MEDPA’s planning and budgeting cycle to the local governments’ planning and budgeting cycle and ensuring that MEDPA is fully aligned with local level planning and budgeting system;
- Provide technical support for the preparation of Enterprise Development Strategy Plan (EDSP) and its implementation to local governments;
- Advice and support local levels in internalizing an effective Management Information System for MEDPA and build their capacity to run the system;
- Provide technical support to the DCSIO/CSIDBO and local governments, to understand the Micro Enterprise Development model and ensure that it is fully internalized into their systems;
- Advice the Micro Entrepreneur’s Associations (MEAs) at local and district level to provide services to its members, lobby and advocacy for MED to generate resources for the enterprises scale up activities as well as to strengthen backward and forward linkages of their products;
- Advice and orient to EDFs and BDSPOs on the results-based output of MED model to develop quality Micro-entrepreneurs (MEs);
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual work plan and reports, as well as other relevant sectoral reports, and submit to the National Project Manager through PMEDS;
- Provide capacity building support to various stakeholder on effective implementation of MEDPA at local level;
- Ensure that MEDPA activities are planned and implemented in a gender sensitive and socially inclusive manner and that all implementing partners are sensitized and trained in gender and social inclusion;
- Carry out any other relevant assignments, as required by the National Project Manager and PMEDS, from time to time.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the GoN, UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Serves and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Good inter-personal skills;
- Clear and upfront communication skills;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Collaborates effectively in a team environment;
- Organized and good with following-up on pending issues; meets deadlines;
- Promote learning and knowledge management/sharing;
- Focuses on delivering results by taking calculated-risks and problem solving approach;
- Fair and transparent decision making; regularly shares information with team members.
- Promotes sharing of knowledge and experience, and actively works towards continued learning and development on personal level as well as for supervisees;
- Good practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of projects;
- Demonstrates strong numerical and analytical skills;
- Has experience working with Monitoring and Evaluation tools;
- Experience in developing business plans for financial institutions including enterprises
- Experience in coordination, technical assistance and advisory support top government and private institutions;
- Experienced in delivering training and other needed capacity/ institutional building support to a wide range of stakeholders including financial institutions;
- Demonstrates excellent organizational and administrative skills;
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders;
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Oversees and documents the process of strategy formulation for programmes at Project level.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in any field relevant to economic development in Nepal is required.
- Candidates should have at least work experience of three years for Master’s degree and five years for Bachelor’s degree in relevant aspects of micro-enterprise development, including within the federal government structure of Nepal. Of this, candidates should have at least three years of experience working with Nepalese government systems and a clear understanding of local governance systems and the issues and challenges of micro enterprise development in Nepal.
- Prior experience of coordination with government personnel is required.
- A sound understanding of basic computer applications such as MSWord, Excel and database management is required.
- Fluency in both spoken and written Nepali and English languages is required.