UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace, and security.
UN Women in Colombia in accordance with national priorities and international instruments for the protection of women's human rights, mainly the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), works to achieve substantive equality between men and women in all aspects of life, focusing on strengthening the leadership and political and economic empowerment of women and their right to a life free of violence, both in the context of conflict and outside this, as bases for a stable and sustainable peace. In this way, UN Women supports national efforts to make women beneficiaries and main actors in the sustainable development and construction of peace, democracy, and security in Colombia.
Reporting to Country Representative/ Deputy Representative’s, the Executive Associate is responsible for providing a variety of executive administrative support to the UN Women Country Representative/Deputy Representative maintaining full confidentiality in all aspects of the assignment and, in close coordination with the office management and personnel, for managing the efficient flow of information and communications to ensure expeditious dissemination of information, timely action and compliance with established deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide executive support to the UN Women Colombia Representative/Deputy Representative
- Manage the UN Women Country Representative/ Deputy Representative’s calendar and schedule of appointments and meetings;
- Arrange travel and hotel accommodations and other logistics for the UN Women Country Representative/ Deputy Representative;
- Maintain a roster of Colombia CO contacts; update electronic mailing lists;
- Answer and screen calls for the Country Representative/ Deputy Representative with tact and discretion;
- Manage administrative files on the Country Representative mission travel and mission reports;
- Research files, collect information, and organize materials to meet the Country Representative/ Deputy Representative requests.
Provide administrative support to the UN Women Country Representative/ Deputy Representative
- Undertake the logistical, administrative, and financial arrangements, to organize meetings, events, and workshops;
- Organize and attend meetings and events, prepare minutes and summaries;
- Prepare and assemble briefing materials and PowerPoint presentations for the Country Representative/ Deputy Representative for meetings, missions, and other key events;
- Organize and monitor the office filing system;
- Follow up with the Country Representative/ Deputy Representative on deadlines and commitments.
Provide effective communication and information management support to the Colombia CO
- Facilitate the flow of information and communication between the Country Representative/ Deputy Representative’s Office’s and other units within or outside of UN Women;
- Review, prioritize and route correspondence to and from the UN Women Country Representative/ Deputy Representative; take proactive follow-up action and keep the Country Representative/ Deputy Representative informed;
- Respond to and/or direct inquiries to appropriate units for timely action/response;
- Prepare routine correspondence and interoffice circulars; review documents and reports to ensure spelling, punctuation, and format are correct;
- Maintain and organize up to date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval; ensure the safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Assist in the preparation and finalization of informal translations; act as interpreter as required.
Provide support to the Country Representative/ Deputy Representative’s Office’s external relations activities
- Facilitate the Country Representative/ Deputy Representative’s interaction with various external partners through written, verbal and electronic communication, and through collaborative and proactive relationships with counterparts and colleagues in partner offices;
- Receive and greet high ranking officials/visitors;
- Ensure protocol matters, receive high ranking visitors/officials, coordinate logistical arrangements related to visits.
Contribute to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide administrative support for effective knowledge management and sharing within the office and other offices/HQs;
- Build and share knowledge and experience related to administrative and operations support.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to manage data/schedule, documents, correspondence, reports, and maintain protocol and information flow;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature;
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear format, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Ability to administer administrative processes.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized secretarial training or office management;
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or public administration is an asset.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience with administrative, secretarial, or programme experience;
- Experience in the use of computer applications and software packages such as Microsoft Office, and web-based management systems;
- Experience with the ATLAS system is an asset.
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required;