- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Fiji (Multi-country Office)
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- About Us
- News Centre
National Individual Consultant to Review National Greenhouse Gases (GHG) Inventories – Cook Islands
|Location :||Rarotonga, COOK ISLANDS|
|Application Deadline :||18-Dec-20 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||National Consultant|
|Languages Required :||English|
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||35 working days in 4 months|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||February to June 2021|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
All Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change UNFCCC have agreed in the Lima call for Climate Action (Decision 1/CP.20) to develop and communicate to the UNFCCC Secretariat their Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs). INDCs outline what individual countries are committed to reduce their own emissions, whereby having a positive impact on the global level of emissions. The Lima Conference of the Parties (COP20) outcome has specified that INDCs from Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and Small Island Developing States (SIDS) should consider their special circumstances and level of preparedness.
Based on this, the Cook Islands submitted its initial INDCs to the UNFCCC Secretariat in November 2015 with a view to update in 2020. The 2018 IPCC Report indicated that to keep the global temperature to within 1.5 OC of pre-industrial levels, countries must commit to a more ambitious second NDCs.
We are seeking the services of a national consultant to undertake the preparation of a greenhouse gas inventory for the period 2015 – 2019, for use as a part of the NDC preparation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Assessment of the National GHG inventory:
The assessment will cover the entire GHG inventory, with an examination of the data, methodologies, and procedures used to prepare the inventory. The sectors to be covered under the GHG Inventory are, Agriculture, Forestry and other Land Use (AFOLU) Sector, Energy Sector, and the Waste Sector. Particular attention will be given to identifying areas where progress has been made in the implementation of any planned improvements and where recalculations and other changes have been reported.
The reviewer will verify that the data has been calculated transparently, checking also for calculation errors when spreadsheets are provided, and will identify areas for improvement or further work. The reviewer will highlight any errors, inconsistencies and data gaps and will provide comments on discrepancies in the inventory, including explanations of the possible sources of error. The reviewer will also provide written references of the data sources used to review the inventory.
The reviewer should look to latest guidance on the calculations of activity and emissions data per the IPCC and UNFCCC, which includes but not limited to the 2019 Refinement to the 2006 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories.
The assessment will be carried through an extensive set of in-country consultations and focus group discussion in addition to a review of the grey literature and country reports.
The consultant shall:
1. Prepare a brief work plan with timeline
2. Undertake and update the GHG inventory utilizing where possible the most recent version of the IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Emissions. Emissions from key sectors are to be included: energy, agriculture, forestry and other land use, transport, and waste.
3. Consult with key stakeholders
4. Identify gaps and barriers for institutionalizing subsequent GHG inventories
5. Prepare an updated GHG inventory report for 2015 – 2019.
Note: By performance of each above points, the materials/reports should be submitted to Project Manager (PM) for commenting. In case of comments, the expert has to finalize the materials in compliance with the comments and/or to discuss these comments via e-mail and forward the final ones to the PM.
• Strong expertise on environmental-related areas in the Cook Islands
• Demonstrated experience in conducting gap analysis and prioritization of actions in the Cook Islands government’s national climate action policies and plans;
• Experience in designing and facilitating capacity building processes, consultations and coordination processes in Cook Islands; and,
• Demonstrated strong technical knowledge of UNFCCC processes particularly NDCs and the 1.5 degree IPCC report.
• Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior members of national institutions.
• Displays and understands cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
• Excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize relevant collected data and findings for the preparation of quality analysis for the project proposal.
• Excellent coordination skills and result oriented collaboration with colleagues.
• Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP and government of the Cook Islands .
• Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
• Good team player who has ability to maintain good relationships.
Required Skills and Experience
• Advanced University degree in environmental sciences, development studies, international development, engineering, natural resources management or other closely related field.
• At least 5 years of experience in climate change policy and strategy support at the national level, with specific focus on NDC design and implementation.
• At least 5 years in relevant technical areas in international development/climate change/environment finance/monitoring and transparency systems.
• At least 5 years’ experience in conducting GHG inventory systems/GHG inventory systems, and low carbon technology applications, related to NDCs.
• Previous experience with UNDP is a great advantage.
• Experience of work in the region is an asset particularly the Cook Islands.
Excellent English writing, presentation, communication skills are essential and fluent in Cook Islands Maori
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: Download the TOR and associated templates for submission of your proposal. Combine all into one single file, from the procurement website link https://procurement-notices.undp.org/index.cfm and title for "National Individual Consultant to Review National Greenhouse Gases (GHG) Inventories – Cook Islands". Emailed submissions will not be considered. For further queries with regards to the consultancy, please email email@example.com.