- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Fiji (Multi-country Office)
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- About Us
- News Centre
One UN Roster Finance Assistant
|Location :||Gaza, PALESTINIAN TERRITORIES|
|Application Deadline :||08-Feb-21 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Type of Contract :||Service Contract|
|Post Level :||SB-3|
|Languages Required :||Arabic English|
|Duration of Initial Contract :||6 months with possible extension based on fund availability and performance|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The UN Agencies active in Palestine (UN Country Team) requested the one UN HR group to establish a One UN Roster that is made of the most frequently required positions. The following 11 Generic Vacancy Announcements support the establishment of this One UN Roster. The Roster will be a list of pre-vetted, highly qualified candidates, and it serves the purpose of fast-tracking recruitment processes as positions become available. After a rigorous selection process, successful candidates will be placed in the respective One UN Roster for a period of 24 months. While placement on the Roster does not guarantee a position, it is going to be an important resource for filling future vacancies. Candidates placed on the Roster will be reviewed when a relevant position becomes available and if found suitable, are offered placements through a direct selection process.
This Generic Vacancy Announcement serves the purpose of creating a One UN Roster to be used to expedite the hiring of personnel whenever a UN entity/Agency in the State of Palestine needs personnel contracting services in the respective area.
This Generic Vacancy Announcement is exclusively intended for Finance Assistant Service Contract positions at SB3 level in any UN entities operating in the State of Palestine. The One UN Roster is a list of pre-vetted, highly qualified candidates intended to fast-track recruitment processes as positions become available. After a rigorous selection process, successful candidates will be placed in the Finance Assistant SB3 One UN Roster. While placement in the Roster does not guarantee a position, it is an important resource for filling vacancies. Candidates placed on the Roster will be reviewed when a relevant position becomes available and if found suitable, are offered placements through a direct selection process.
Purpose for the job
The Finance Assistant will be responsible for providing a variety of specialized tasks in finance functions, ensuring accurate and timely delivery that is in compliance with the UN Agency financial rules and regulations, whilst demonstrating the capacity to research, adapt and evaluate irregular cases, and also to recommend improvements to process delivery and design. The below tasks are expected to be carried out with a high level of independence.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Accounting and administrative support
2. Office cash management
3. Functioning of cost-recovery system
4. Processing financial transactions
5. Payroll processing
1. Accounting and administrative support:
• Provides financial, accounting and administrative support ensuring full compliance with UN financial rules, regulations, policies and strategies, and the effective internal controls framework;
• Provides support to the projects’ financial management and maintains a proper filing system for the financial records and to ensure accuracy of accounting codes and recording of receipts and payments;
• Ensures timely preparation of monthly and annual expenditure reports, updating of budget monitoring tables, financial authorizations, transaction reports and project budget status sheets;
• Supports preparation of budget revisions in coordination with Project Managers and Operations Officer;
2) Office cash management:
• Finalizes payment requests including check payments, settlement of cash advances and travel advances and ensures that supporting documents are always adequate and complete;
• Ensures proper functioning office cash management system, including timely review of cash position for local accounts; preparation of cash forecast and cash replenishments on regular basis;
• Facilitates the proper receipt of goods and services and establishment of accruals; maintenance of the Account Receivables for UN projects and recording of deposits; as well as management of cash receipts and petty cash;
3) Functioning of cost-recovery system:
• Keeps track of and monitors the payment of Letter of Agreements (LOA), office rent and utilities; reviews VAT exemption submissions and refunds; ensures maintenance of the internal expenditures reporting and control system, including the precise and correct processing of vouchers/payment requests through GRMS;
4) Processing financial transactions:
• Maintains liaisons with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange and interest rates, changes in procedures and regulations, and matters pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts.
• Daily reviews zero-balance account bank statements; identifies and records contributions; timely and accurately prepares bank reconciliations; initiates bank transfers and deals;
5) Payroll processing:
• Updates staff salaries planning tables and records;
6) Performs other duties as required.
Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Finance/Accounting: Accounting (General)
Finance/Accounting: Financial Management
Finance/Accounting: Financial Planning and Budgeting
Finance/Accounting: Financial Reporting and Analysis
Finance/Accounting: Treasury Management
Operations: Office Administration
Required Skills and Experience
Completion of Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Finance, Business or Public Administration an asset. Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
Minimum 3 years of relevant finance experience at the national or international level is required.
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Experience with ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft, desirable.
Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS desirable
Fluency in both Arabic and English.
Knowledge of Hebrew is desirable.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UNDP Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from
UNDP P11 form (new Personal History form) (google.com) Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UNDP P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.