- UNDP around the world
Many of UNDP's relationships with countries and territories on the ground exceed 60 years. Find details on our successes and ongoing work.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Central African Republic
- Congo (Dem. Republic of)
- Congo (Republic of)
- Costa Rica
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea
- Denmark (Rep. Office)
- Dominican Republic
- E.U (Rep. Office)
- El Salvador
- Equatorial Guinea
- Fiji (Multi-country Office)
- Finland (Rep. Office)
- Geneva (Rep. Office)
- Iraq (Republic of)
- Kosovo (as per UNSCR 1244)
- Lao PDR
- Mauritius & Seychelles
- Norway (Rep. Office)
- Papua New Guinea
- Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People
- Russian Federation
- Samoa (Multi-country Office)
- São Tomé and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- South Sudan
- Sri Lanka
- Sweden (Rep. Office)
- The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Tokyo (Rep. Office)
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates
- About Us
- News Centre
Managing Natural Gas Resources for SDG Acceleration in Mozambique: An Economy -Wide Modelling Assessmen
|Location :||Maputo, MOZAMBIQUE|
|Application Deadline :||16-Apr-21 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Time left :||4d 11h 12m|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||English Portuguese|
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :||4 months|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :||4 months|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Mozambique is a country richly endowed with natural resources. It holds the third largest proven reserves of natural gas in the African continent, only after Nigeria and Algeria. It has vast deposits of coal in the central province of Tete. It holds around 5.5 percent of known global reserves of natural graphite and is the location of the world’s largest deposit of this mineral, found in the northern province of Cabo Delgado. Its natural resource wealth also includes 5.6 million hectares of arable land, 377,000 square kilometers of forests, over 2,500 kilometers of coastline, as well as important river systems, including the Zambezi basin. In addition, it holds rich deposits of anything from gemstones to gold, marble, limestone and iron ore.
A number of modelling tools exist that can provide policymakers with this whole-of-system perspective, including system dynamics and computer general equilibrium models. While the latter have traditionally focused only on macroeconomic issues, recent developments in CGE modelling have seen extensions to incorporate human development and environmental concerns. These models can be used to run simulations on a variety of issues. From how external shocks may impact a country, in terms of likely DocuSign Envelope ID: 456B3C1C-49B0-4F30-8BCD-455B8A984683 DocuSign Envelope ID: 75553010-7858-49BA-9837-E1D0D9E9C9EEsocioeconomic and, potentially, environmental outcomes, to examining how different policy interventions available to government affect sustainable development prospects and outcomes.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. In consultation with the Department for Economic and Development Policy (DPED, in its Portuguese abbreviation) at the Ministry of Economy and Finance and UNDP, outline a detailed policy research and capacity development programme specific for this assignment.
2. Implement the training and capacity development component of this modelling exercise.
3. Assist the DPED/MEF to outline modelling scenarios that respond to the purpose of the assignment.
4. Make changes to the modelling framework that might be necessary to run the modelling scenarios defined for this assignment.
5. To the extent possible, and in close consultation and with support from national partners taking part in this assignment, calibrate the model with the latest data for Mozambique that might be available at the time of the assignment.
6. Provide technical assistance in running modelling scenarios that respond the overall objective define for this modeling exercise.
7. Together with participants of this modelling and capacity development initiative, produce a report outlining the main elements of the policy research undertaken and presenting key research findings and policy recommendations.
Ability to research, discover trends, and make recommendations on specific development context;
Ability to evaluate, transform and model data to derive relevant findings;
Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge;
Ability to prepare quality reports that provide clear reasoning and analysis;
Ability to establish effective partnerships for results with counterparts and partners.
Required Skills and Experience