The UN Secretary-General established the UN SDG Action Campaign to inspire people and organizations from all backgrounds and every part of the world to take actions to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, while holding decision-makers to account for progress society-wide. The UN SDG Action Campaign is hosted and supported by UNDP and is based in Bonn (Germany) with a lean team that marshals rapid support for new initiatives as opportunities arise and provides partners with on-demand strategic creative services that inspire SDG action with an engaged community of activists and concerned individuals.
The UN SDG Action Campaign is working closely with cities and local governments to showcase how they are actively contributing to implement Agenda 2030, accelerating transformative action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals for all, and everywhere. The UN SDG Action Campaign, together with the office of UNDP in the Philippines are supporting the city of Butuan to implement a component of their AgriBoost project, one of the winners of the 2021 Global Mayors Challenge.
Within this context, the UN SDG Action Campaign is seeking to recruit a Project Supervisor to support the implementation of the AgriBOOST project in the City of Butuan in the Philippines. The AgriBOOST project aims to address the high rates of hunger and food insecurity in the city, in part because of challenges around local food production. AgriBOOST gives farmers predictive data to make better decisions about the type and quantity of crops to plant, by fixing some commodity prices to reduce the risk on vegetables and high-demand foods, and by engaging consumers and business organizations for additional support.
The Project Supervisor will support the UNDP in the implementation of the Global Mayors Challenge in the City of Butuan.
Duties and Responsibilities
The AgriBOOST Project Supervisor, under the supervision of the City Agriculturist and Head of the AgriBOOST Program Lead, will work with the UNDP-UN SDG Action Campaign Network and perform the following functions:
- Provide over-all management and operation of the AgriBOOST Project in Butuan City, Philippines and work with the AgriBOOST Core Team in Butuan City on direction-setting, accessing project investments and technical assistance from partner agencies, and laying the necessary legal and institutional framework to move the project;
- Lead in strategic planning, decision-making, execution and review to deliver the target metrics, output and outcome of AgriBOOST Project and also lead in the formulation of strategies and tactics to implement AgriBOOST Project Workstream;
- Motivate AgriBOOST Project Management Staff in order to provide agile technical services to contract growers, customers, buyers and traders;
- Collaborate with regional line agencies and industry partners to access funds and resources for production, processing and marketing of agricultural products of farmers and local entrepreneurs;
- Facilitate the conduct of office performance review meeting, preparation of budget proposal and preparation of procurement plan as well as brainstorming for problem-solving, decision making and execution on efficient office operations, optimized resource mobilization and prudent budget utilization;
- Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be prescribed by law, ordinance, or the top management of the City Government of Butuan; and
- Perform other related tasks as deemed necessary.
Under the overall guidance of the City Mayor, the Agriboost Project Supervisor will directly report to the AgriBOOST Program Lead (the City Agriculturist) and the UNDP Programme Manager based in New York.
The Agriboost Project Supervisor will work closely with Delivery Associates, AgriBOOST Component Leads, and the Team Leader, Institutions and Partnerships Programme of UNDP Philippines based in Mandaluyong City.
The Agriboost Project Supervisor will also collaborate with other members of the AgriBOOST Core Team, Advisory Committee and the Steering Committee.
Achieve Results: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work.
Think Innovatively: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking.
Learn Continuously: Go outside the comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning.
Adapt with Agility: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, inolve others in the change process.
Act with Determination: Able to persevere and deal with ultiple sources of pressure simultaneously.
Engage and Partner: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain colalitions/partnerships.
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences considers in decision making.
Business Direction & Strategy
Effective Decision Making
Working with Evidence and Data
2030 Agenda: Prosperity
2030 Agenda: Engagement & Effectiveness
Business Direction & Strategy
Strategic and Creative Thinking
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Education requirements
Min. years of relevant work experience
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
a) Personal CV, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
b) Cover Letter - indicating why the candidate considers him/herself to be suitable for the position.