UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women Cambodia Country Office (CCO) Strategic Note (SN) 2019-2023 focuses on three key priorities to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment (GEWE). The first priority is to strengthen government capacity and accountability to integrate international norms and commitments (CEDAW, SDGs, Beijing PfA, Sendai) into national legislative and regulatory frameworks, including supporting dialogue and CSO engagement in accountability for GEWE commitments. The second area of focus is Ending Violence Against Women where CCO’s focus includes creating an enabling environment to prevent, respond to and prosecute all forms of GBV as well as ensuring that marginalised women who experience violence, including women migrant workers, access services and protections. Thirdly, CCO works to enhance gender responsiveness in climate change action and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR). A focus on empowerment, women’s leadership, challenging negative gender norms and leaving no one behind runs through the programme.
The current project aims to respond to the most urgent needs of highly vulnerable women and girls, particularly migrant workers, ethnic minorities, people working in the informal sector and those living in disaster-prone areas, who are disproportionately affected by the severe resurgence of COVID-19 pandemic after April 2021 in Mekong countries. It will also contribute to highlighting need for gender-responsive measures into COVID-19 socio-economic recovery plans. The project builds on cross-cutting elements foundational to a comprehensive COVID-19 prevention and response approach. The normative components, including policies and standards, within this project will influence how all gender equality and empowerment of women and girls approaches are adaptive in the COVID-19 context. The services and capacity strengthening components will demonstrate the implementation of these standards and norms within this new context.
Reporting to the country programme coordinator, the consultant will provide operational and programme support to the programme team in the development and implementation of effective programmes consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. The consultant contributes to programme implementation by providing necessary technical expertise and operational support. The consultant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the country program and regional staff as required for resolving complex program and operational related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
II.Duties and responsibilities
The consultant will work closely with UN Women to perform the following time-bound tasks:
1. Provide programme support to the project implementation, including working with international consultant and UNW team to deliver trainings for service providers at the border checkpoints and service providers at the safe shelters on gender responsive service and COVID-19.
- Support international consultant to conduct consultations/meetings with UN Agencies (i.e IOM, ILO, UNFPA, WHO etc.) and government bodies that have been working along the borders, especially project on providing the support to the government to containment of COVID-19 spread and gender-based violence,
- Work with international consultant to design and co- facilitate the training for service providers (200 female) at the border check point on gender, risk factors for cross border migration, including risks gender-based violence and infection of COVID-19.
- Work with international consultant to design and co-facilitate training to for service providers at safe shelter on gender responsive services and Covid-19 precaution measure.
- Prepare and assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations and contribute inputs to the materials to be used in local context
- Work with international consultant to enable the conduction of monitoring and evaluation of the training activities including conducting pre-post survey and progress report
2. Lead in conducting community outreach and community- based awareness raising to mitigate Covid-19 spread and create enabling environment for women’s economic empowerment
- Coordinate with national and subnational and local authority to enable the community-based awareness raising in Siem Reap, Battambang and Banteay Meanchey province.
- Conduct community-based awareness raising activities and community forum using the media product produced by the project in 6 commune (2 communes in each province) to ensure that 800 women benefit from the awareness raising events
- Provide inputs to the development of media products and support for collecting feedback from target audiences, women migrant returnees and their family members.
- Support the facilitation with women group who have been trained on women leadership to hold 2 community dialogues with former and/or potential female migrant workers and rural women’s group to empower women to be successful in obtaining viable employment, sustainable livelihoods, and leadership skills.
- Support the conduction of a series of dialogues (3 times) with 80 men on women’s economic empowerment through collaboration with local CSOs, CBOs and relevant network
- Support the Conduction of two community forums (with total 500 community members and 30 local government officials in total) to raise awareness and promote support for women’s economic empowerment and its contributions to post-pandemic economic recovery.
- Oversee all logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization for meetings, workshops, events, and missions
3. Coordinate and facilitate the distribution of Covid-19 PPE material to service providers and vulnerable women in the community
- By working with existing community-based women's group and network the PPE material will be further distributed to the most vulnerable women group in the community while informing them about the GBV service available if they needs
- Facilitate the distribution of the PPE material to safe shelter and border authority, and record the reception of the PPE
4. Coordinate and the support the development of women’s skills and capacity to access viable employment opportunity and women’s leadership and decision making
- Coordinate and provide technical support to local partner, CBO and relevant network working with migrant workers to enable the provision of capacity development including providing training and mentoring or referring to available training on tailored technical skills and soft skill which fit the needs of 80 women
- Assess and identify 25 emerging potential change makers out of the 80 women to participate in the leadership training allowing them to strengthen and exercise leadership skills
- Work with international consultant to review the existing women transformative leadership program and curriculum to fit with the needs of the women migrant workers
5. Conduct monitoring, evaluation and learning of the project
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for documents, guidelines, speeches and position papers.
- Develop project impact stories/documentations.
- Provide gender and women’s right technical inputs to work with key stakeholder partners: including a conduct and analysis of rapid scoping visit to the proposed project target areas. This includes development of concept note for a conduct of rapid scoping visit and meeting with the most relevant stakeholders and report writing.
- Work with project team in Cambodia and regional team to conduct pre-post survey, rapid assessment and key informant interview for the evaluation of the project
III.Expected deliverables and timelines
Tasks and Deliverables
17 October 2022
27 October 2022
15 November 2022
10 December 2022
21 December 2022
20 January 2023
28 February 2023
9 March 2023
10 May 2023
The consultant will work in close collaboration with the UNWOMEN personnel in Cambodia under the direct supervision of the Country programme coordinator and overall guidance of the Programme coordinator
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong knowledge of UN Women processes and systems
- Strong networking skills
- Strong inter-personal skills, communicate effectively with staff at all levels of the organization;
- Ability to work in a highly pressured environment
Required Skills and Experience
VI. Required qualifications
VII. Contract period and work location
The assignment period is from 15 October 2022 to 31 August 2023. The assignment is based in Cambodia. The consultant may be required to travel outside of Phnom Penh as needed for the purpose of the assignment where required by UN Women-Cambodia. The standard UN Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) will apply to any travel outside duty station that may be required in the fulfillment of this assignment.
Applications will be evaluated based on the cumulative analysis:
A two-stage procedure is utilized in evaluating the applications, with evaluation of the technical application being completed prior to any price proposal being compared. Only the price proposal of the candidates who passed the minimum technical score of 70% of the obtainable score of 100 points in the technical qualification evaluation will be evaluated.
Technical qualification evaluation criteria:
Only the candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% of total points will be considered as technically qualified candidates who may be contacted for validation interview.
Financial/Price Proposal evaluation:
XI. Submission of application
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit electronic application to email@example.com , with cc to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than not later than 06 October 2022 by mid-night New York Time U.S.A. Late application submissions will not be considered
Submission package includes:
Payments for this consultancy will be based on the achievement of deliverable and certification that each has been satisfactorily completed. Payment will not be based on the number of days worked but on the completion of each stated deliverable within the indicated timeframes on satisfactory completion of task.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)