UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls, the empowerment of women, and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world.
The Communications & Advocacy Section at UN Women Headquarters in New York supports the positioning of women’s empowerment and gender equality as key issues on the international agenda and establishes UN Women’s role as the global authority in this context. This entails building relationships with the traditional and online press globally to amplify and highlight UN Women key messages via mainstream media platforms and engage key influencers in the journalistic world, and their audiences.
Under the supervision of the Chief of the Communications and Advocacy Section, and in close collaboration with Section’s colleagues, the Administrative Consultant will provide support to the Section’s operations by performing a variety of administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work.
During the six-month time frame, the Administrative Assistant will work in close collaboration all members of the Communications and Advocacy Section, as well as with Procurement, Finance, Travel and HR colleagues and Operations team to ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support to the Section Chief with calendar management.
- Provide general administrative and logistical support to the section.
- Assist in the coordination and preparation of the meetings and other events including UNGA78, GEF Midpoint Event, 16 days campaign, IWD/CSW and other meetings estimated in the six months period.
- Provide technical support for the preparation of the Comms Biannual Work Plan.
- Raise requisitions, accrual receipts and process payments liaising closely with procurement, budget and finance teams.
- Maintain and update internal Communications contacts databases.
- Support the team with travel arrangements and procurement, facilities, or IT related requests.
- Assist with recruitment, contract renewal and onboarding processes of the consultants and interns.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary education is required; bachelor’s degree in business administration or related fields is an asset.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, procurement, HR, or logistic support service.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in working in communications and media environments would be an advantage.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.