The United Nations Office on Drug and Crime (UNODC) provides technical assistance related to combating terrorism, organized crime, corruption and drugs to requesting Member States. This assistance also supports States Strengthening criminal justice and health systems and to ratify and successfully implement international conventions and protocols, in compliance with the rule of law and human rights.
The UNODC Global Maritime Crime Programme (GMCP) supports member states strengthen maritime law enforcement capability to counter illicit activity at sea. In the Southeast Asian region, GMCP delivers support under five pillars of engagement
(i) Strengthen Regional Cooperation,
(ii) Capacity Building to Improve Maritime Law Enforcement,
(iii) Induction of MDA Technology and Infrastructure,
(iv) Support Implementation of UNSC Sanctions Relating Maritime Issues, and
(v) Action on Maritime Environmental Crime and Climate Change.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Programme Coordinator (Southeast Asia and the Pacific) for Global Maritime Crime Programme, (based in Bangkok, Thailand) ), and the additional supervision of the UNODC Officer-in-Charge (OiC) based in Suva, Fiji, the National Programme Officer (NPO) will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of GMCP Programme activity in Kiribati.
The incumbent will also support, as needed, other UNODC initiatives implemented in Kiribati. The NPO will perform the following tasks:
Summary of Key Functions:
A) Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist the Regional Programme Coordinator in activities related to the management, implementation and monitoring of the GMCP Programme in Kiribati.
- Provide substantive support to all GMCP Programme activities, including, organizing training activities, workshops, national and regional meetings, and also coordinating with counterparts;
- Provide support to the Regional Programme Coordinator in reviewing and revising the budget and draft annual budget proposals;
- Supports the identification of consultancy needs, drafts terms of reference for the proposed consultancies and assist in the identification, selection and recruitment of consultants and instructors;
- In coordination with the UNODC OiC and the Regional Adviser on Transnational Organized Crime, Support the Regional Programme Coordinator in day-to-day communication with counterparts in the region, including other agencies, national and international counterparts and donors.
- Assist the Regional Programme Coordinator in administrative issues; monitor equipment, supplies and expenditure;
- Perform other duties, as required
B) Participates in effective management of the programme focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the projects to achieve the following results:
- Provide substantive and technical support, coordination and guidance for the development and implementation of the GMCP Programme in the region;
- Supports the Regional Programme Coorditator with drafting and dissemination of the programme annual work plan, quarterly work plans for implementation in consultation with stakeholders, terms of reference and the UNODC’s project related documentation;
- Maintenance of shadow budgeting to ensure that budgetary limits are not exceeded in accordance with UNODC budgetary provisions;
- Drafts work plans, monitoring reports (biennial and annual), background documents, mid-term evaluations and the final evaluation;
- Collect documents and keep files related to the Programme implementation
C) Maintain partnerships for project implementation with implementing partners focusing on achieving the following results:
- In coordination with the UNODC OiC and the Regional Adviser on Transnational Organized Crime, initiate and maintain partnerships with development partners, government institutions, private sector, civil society and other stakeholders to contribute to the achievement of project results;
- Provide secretariat services to working groups and meetings including the preparation and circulation of briefs, agenda notes to members/participants; compilation of background documentation; drafting of minutes of the meetings; monitoring of follow-up actions, etc.
D) Provide quality support services to implementation of project focusing on achieving the following results:
- Establish and update internal databases relevant to the scope of Programme’s activities;
- Prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation and tracks timely receipt of pledged funds from the donor;
E) Disseminate lessons learnt from designated projects and support to the promotion of cross-project and cross-unit knowledge sharing focusing on the following results:
- Synthesize lessons learnt and best practices in programme support management;
- Contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice and develop knowledge products related to the programme.
Professionalism: Demonstrated professional competence and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to crime prevention and criminal justice issues, in relation to maritime crime. Knowledge of the international policy and legal frameworks on organized and maritime crimes in Kiribati, and a sound understanding of the institutional architecture around these matters. Has knowledge of the mandate of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime in combating transnational organized crime. Has demonstrated competence and expertise in planning, coordinating and management support for the delivery of technical assistance activities (especially needs analysis, programme conceptualization and write-up; programme coordination, liaison and reporting; and budgetary and financial monitoring). Is able to contribute to designing, organizing and conducting technical assistance activities. Has sound analytical skills and is able to identify problems and to contribute to problem-solving. Shows commitment to achieving high quality outputs, timeliness, conscientiousness, attention to detail and ability to bring matters to closure. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning, organizing and managing performance: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Required Skills and Experience