UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Asia and the Pacific
Through the regional office in Bangkok and several country and multi-country offices, UN Women builds on a long history of support to governments and women’s movements. UN Women’s programs in Asia and the Pacific focus on ending violence against women, humanitarian action and disaster risk reduction, women’s economic empowerment, CEDAW and women’s human rights, peace and security, governance and HIV/AIDS. For more information about UN Women in Asia and the Pacific, please visit the official website.
External Relations unit
This position is based within External Relations unit for the UN Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP). At the regional office, External Relations unit is in charge of building partnerships with private sector entities as well as bilateral partners, non- profit organisations and the media. External Relations unit also provides strategic advice and technical support to both the regional office and country offices in Advocacy and Communications in Asia and the Pacific. The consultant will directly report to the Regional Advocacy and Campaigns Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities
A significant element of the Strategic Note is an enhanced strategic approach to advocacy, innovation, and communication, with the aim of increasing the visibility of ROAP and public awareness of both success stories and the specific gaps and challenges to gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls in the region. It is imperative that communications methodologies adopted by ROAP are suited to the regional context and able to attract and support the engagement of diverse stakeholder groups, including youth, civil society, national and regional authorities etc.
UN Women ROAP envision to collaborate with technology and innovation companies in the Asia Pacific region to promote women empowerment and leadership in the digital economy, promote women safe and inclusive cyber spaces and mobilize private sector companies to commit to the Action Collations on Gender-Based Violence and the Technology and Innovation for Gender Equality. This will require wide consultations with women and girls, young feminists, tech for gender equality experts and CSOs from across the region.
Under the direct supervision of the Advocacy and Communication teams, the International Consultant – Animator will design animations that will be based on the Toolkit: Youth Guide to End Online Gender-Based Violence. The animations are intended to raise awareness about tech-facilitated Online Gender-Based Violence (OGBV). The consultancy aims to transform the content in the toolkit into youth and internet-friendly short animations. These animations will cover topics such as the forms of OGBV, bystander approaches, how to report OGBV, and support for victims and survivors, as well as strategies for creating safe and inclusive online spaces and platforms.
Objectives of the Consultancy
- To develop easy-to-understand, engaging animations from the Toolkit: Youth Guide to End Online Gender-Based Violence to promote awareness about tech-facilitated OGBV.
- To simplify complex subjects like forms of OGBV, bystander intervention approaches, reporting mechanisms, and support strategies into digestible animated content.
- To appeal to a wide demographic, including youth, to facilitate better understanding and proactive behavior towards combating OGBV.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review and understand the content of the Online Toolkit for combating OGBV.
- Work closely with advocacy, Ending Violence against Women, and communication teams to translate the toolkit’s content into animated storyboards.
- Design and produce animations that are engaging, informative, and accessible.
- Test animations for usability, accessibility, and impact, iterating as needed based on feedback.
- Collaborate with the communication team to ensure effective dissemination of the animations.
Expected deliverables and timelines:
Tasks and Deliverables
Phase 1: Research and Conceptualization
Deliverable 1: Initial Concept Document and Storyboard
30 Oct 2023
Phase 2: Development
Deliverable 2: Script and Narration Guidelines
30 Oct 2023
Deliverable 3: Prototype Animations
30 Nov 2023
Phase 3: Review and Revision
Deliverable 4: Revised Draft of Animations
30 Nov 2030
Phase 4: Finalization
Deliverable 5: Final Draft of Animations
30 Dec 2023
Phase 5: Localization and Translation
Deliverable 6: Localization and Translation
30 Dec 2023
The consultant will be supervised by Regional Advocacy and Campaigns Coordinator, External Relations, UN WOMEN Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
Functional Competencies: (below are examples to be adjusted to each assignment)
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong technological and animations skills
- Strong inter-personal skills, communicate effectively with staff at all levels of the organization;
- Ability to work in a highly pressured environment.
Payments for this consultancy will be based on the achievement of each deliverable and certification that each has been satisfactorily completed. Payments will not be based on the number of days worked but on the completion of each stated deliverable within the indicated timeframes.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree in Animation, Graphic Design, multimedia production, or a related field. Certification in multimedia software like Adobe Suite is a plus.
- A first-level university degree in similar fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in animation, graphic design, multimedia production or related field.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating a range of animations is required.
- Previous experience with educational or social cause-related projects or work experience with UN Agencies or international development agencies will be a plus.
- Experience in the fields of gender equality and women’s empowerment and human rights related work would be an asset.
Proficiency in English is required.
Contract period and work location
This a 3- month contract commencing on 1 October 2023 and ending on 31 December 2023. The International Consultant will be home-based and working remotely for the UN Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific.
Applications will be evaluated based on the cumulative analysis:
Technical qualification (100 points);
Technical Qualification evaluation criteria:
The total number of points allocated for the technical qualification component is 100. The technical qualification of the individual is evaluated based on following technical qualification evaluation criteria: Technical Evaluation Criteria
B) Experience and skills
C) Language and report writing skills
Proficiency in English.
Total Obtainable Score
Only the candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% of total points will be considered as technically-qualified candidates who may be contacted for validation interview.
Submission of application
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit electronic application to email@example.com, copy firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, not later than 26 September 2023.
Submission package includes:
- Cover letter outlining relevant work experience.
- UN Women Personal History Form(P11)
- Animation and multimedia portfolio.
* As the employment website only allows to upload one document, please merge all the documents in one document.
UNW Statement on Diversity and Inclusion
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)