The UNDP-GEF Unit is based in the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support (BPPS) and is responsible for providing leadership, technical support and implementation oversight to the delivery of the Environment and Sustainable Development pillar of UNDP’s Strategic Plan. Its main focus is on helping countries develop the capacity to fully incorporate environmental sustainability and resilience into development at national and local, but also global and regional, levels. The principal areas of work are in environmental mainstreaming, environmental finance, adaptation to climate change, and local governance of resources, including energy.
The Unit is organized into a number of substantive technical teams with staff located in both HQs and UNDP's Regional Hubs (RH) in Addis Ababa, Istanbul, Panama, and Bangkok, and with a decentralized structure in terms of financial, operational, and budget managements with authority delegated to respective managers located in HQ or in the region.
UNDP-GEF is seeking two (2) individual consultants to work under the overall supervision of the UNDP-GEF Principal Technical Advisor for Energy, Infrastructure, Transport & Technology and in direct coordination and guidance of the corresponding Regional Technical Advisors (RTAs). The Global Technical Support Consultants will support project implementation partners, primarily UNDP country offices, in the efficient, effective and high quality delivery of project development and implementation service. The consultants will work in close collaboration with the RH staff, UNDP-GEF staff in New York, the operations staff in UNDP Country Offices (COs) and other UN agency staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery. The consultants will be expected to contribute towards the delivery of the EITT signature programmes.
Duties and Responsibilities
The scope of work will vary depending on the specific assignment and region, but would include one or various of the below deliverables:
- Liaising with relevant RH staff to maintain programme/project and portfolio information and corporate information systems;
- Identification and sourcing of technical expertise and support, including assisting with the preparation of TORs, identification and evaluation of experts, and reviewing reports.
- Assisting with inception and start-up of programmes/projects including establishment of indicators, benchmarks and work plans;
- Supporting UNDP country offices and programme/project implementation partners in supervision, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, troubleshooting and adaptive management;
- Provide support to the annual performance reports (PIR).
For projects under implementation:
- Reviewing project outputs to ensure that they are delivering project outcomes;
- Providing technical reviews of draft annual performance reports (PIR) and where necessary reviewing final draft and complete project implementation reports appropriately;
- Providing technical backstopping, as necessary, to on-going studies in specific projects;
- Providing technical review and comments on evaluation reports;
- Working with UNDP Country Offices to ensure that logframes and indicators reviews following Mid-term Evaluation (MTE) are practicable for the available budget, and that the project implementation workplan can achieve the project outcomes;
- Review revisions in project annual work plans or increases in authorized spending limits liaising with RH support staff to enable release of funding;
- Providing information on project progress, impacts and lessons to HQ and others upon request;
- The consultants will work closely with the EITT Programme Associate at the Regional Hub, and keep HQ informed of all major decisions on project development.
- Programme and project identification and development;
- Providing timely quality information and technical advice on sources of funds, policies, priorities and activities;
- Identifying and suggesting to the PTA priorities and entry-points for UNDP assistance;
- Facilitating the process of preparation, design, submission and approval of programme/project concepts and full-fledged proposals for financing;
- Identifying and sourcing of technical expertise and support including assisting with the preparation of TORs, identification and evaluation of experts and reviewing reports;
- Liaising with potential financing agencies and institutions.
Information on working arrangements:
- The overall objective of this Framework Agreement contract is to facilitate and expedite the process by which UNDP can hire the services of Global Technical Support consultants once there are specific assignments over the next 3 years;
- Estimated level of effort: approximately 75 days each year (per consultant). Maximum working days over the 3-year period would be 225 (per consultant);
- UNDP does not warrant that any quantity of services will be purchased during the term of the Framework Agreement as this will depend on forthcoming needs;
- IC as a Framework agreement is non-exclusive (i.e. it does not prohibit UNDP from entering into another such framework agreement with other individuals or entities);
- The initial contract would be for one year (April 2018 – April 2019) with an option for renewal in two other subsequent years dependent on demand for services and satisfactory performance evaluation;
- The Framework Agreements to be signed with 2 consultants will be for a fixed all-inclusive daily fee;
- Once the Framework Agreement is signed, if there is a specific assignment, the focal person at UNDP-GEF would contact the Consultant by email informing of the specific tasks, deliverables and timeline;
- The consultant must advise within 48 hours whether s/he is available to deliver the requested service;
- Thereafter a Purchase Order will be raised. Financial commitments will only be established each time the services are requested within the scope of the Framework Agreement through the transmitted email and purchase order;
- The Consultant will be given access to relevant information necessary for execution of the tasks under this assignment;
- The Consultant will be responsible for providing her/his own working station (i.e. laptop, internet, phone, scanner/printer, etc.) and must have access to a reliable internet connection;
- Given the global consultations to be undertaken during this assignment, the consultant is expected to be reasonably flexible with his/her availability for such consultations taking into consideration different time zones;
- Payments will be made upon submission of a detailed time sheet and certification of payment form, and acceptance and confirmation by the Supervisor on days worked (with a “day” calculated as 8 hours of work) and outputs delivered.
- Mission travel may be necessary, but will be decided upon an as needed basis. It is expected that the total number of missions will not exceed 5 in a calendar year;
- Any necessary missions must be approved in advance and in writing by the Supervisor;
- The Advanced and Basic Security in the Field II courses must be successfully completed prior to commencement of travel;
- Individual Consultants are responsible for ensuring they have vaccinations/inoculations when travelling to certain countries, as designated by the UN Medical Director;
- Consultants are responsible for obtaining any visas and security clearances needed in connection with travel with the necessary support from UNDP;
- The Consultant is required to comply with the UN security directives set forth under https://dss.un.org/dssweb/;
- The consultant will be responsible for making his/her own mission travel arrangements in line with UNDP travel policies;
- All related travel expenses will be supported by UNDP funds and will be reimbursed as per UNDP rules and regulations for consultants. Costs for mission airfares, terminal expenses, insurance, and living allowances should not be included in financial proposal.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s vision, mission and values;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Ability to advise on environmentally sustainable pathways for energy use and supply, energy access, de-centralized and distributed RE-based electricity solutions and low carbon transport and mobility, and on the design and operation of energy systems in the residential, industrial, commercial and transport sectors, as well as in energy-integrated urban development planning and applications;
- Ability to advise on the design and implementation of RE-based energy systems both for thermal and power generation and applications in developing countries, including distributed systems;
- Ability to advise on energy finance solutions;
- Able to render policy advice on identifying, accessing, combining and sequencing different sources of environmental finance to meet country financing shortfalls in the arenas of low carbon energy options and climate change mitigation;
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Results-driven and initiative-taking;
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines;
- Ability to plan and organise work and establish priorities;
- Remains calm and in control even under pressure, and consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Informed, sound, and transparent decision-making;
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data, demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative.
Client Orientation and Communication
- Effective written and oral communication skills;
- Good interpersonal and networking skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations;
- Supports and encourages open communication in the team and facilitates team work;
- Ability to work under minimum supervision;
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders from a wide range of disciplines and fields, from both developed and developing countries, and having diverse and competing worldviews and interests.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master´s degree or higher in engineering, environmental economics, finance or environmental science or other closely related field with focus on energy management, energy systems, renewable energy, sustainable transport, civil engineering and/or climate change (maximum 10 points).
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience working with developing countries on one or more of the following: energy management, energy systems operations, in the residential, industrial, commercial and transport sectors, as well as in energy-integrated urban development planning and applications; energy access and distributed energy solutions; the design and implementation of RE-based energy systems both for thermal and power generation and applications; energy finance; urban transport (maximum 10 points);
- Experience with project development, implementation and management (direct project management experience is preferable) (maximum 10 points);
- Experience in the policy development processes in sustainable energy management, energy finance and transport (maximum 5 points);
- Knowledge of GHG management protocols and mitigation options would be an asset (maximum 5 points);
- Experience in design and implementation of multi-sectoral and sectoral programmes and projects at different scales (maximum 5 points);
- Full computer literacy; Mastery in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, as a minimum) (maximum 5 points);
- Experience working in developing countries would be an asset (maximum 5 points);
- Working experience in an international organization is an advantage as is knowledge of UNDP policies, procedures and practices (maximum 5 points);
- Excellent oral and written communications and presentations skills in English (maximum 5 points);
- Strong oral and written communication skills in Spanish, French, and/or Russian (maximum 5 points).
- Only those applications which are responsive and compliant will be evaluated;
- Offers will be evaluated according to the Combined Scoring method – where the qualifications will be weighted at 70% and the financial offer will be weighted at 30%;
- The technical criteria (education, experience, language [max. 70 points] and interview [max.30 points]) will be based on maximum 100 points;
- Only the top five candidates scoring 49 points or higher from the review of the education, experience, languages will be invited for the interview;
- Candidates obtaining 21 points or higher in the interview will deemed technically qualified and considered for financial evaluation;
- Financial score shall be computed as a ratio of the proposal being evaluated and the lowest priced proposal received for the assignment;
- The financial proposal shall specify be an all-inclusive daily fee. In order to assist the requesting unit in the comparison of financial proposals, the financial proposal must additionally include a breakdown of this daily fee (including all foreseeable expenses to carry out the assignment);
The top 2 applicants receiving the Highest Combined Score and that have accepted UNDP’s General Terms and Conditions will be awarded the Framework Agreements.
- Applicants must submit a duly completed and signed UNDP Personal History form (P11) to be downloaded from the below link;
- Applicants must reply to the mandatory questions asked by the system when submitting the application;
- Applicants must submit a duly completed and signed Annex II Offeror´s letter to UNDP confirming interest and availability for the Individual Contractor (IC) assignment to be downloaded from the UNDP procurement site.
UNDP Personal History form (P11) required of all applicants:
General Conditions of Contract for the ICs:
Annex II Offeror´s letter to UNDP confirming interest and availability for the Individual Contractor (IC) assignment
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.