UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women plays an innovative and catalytic role in the Sudan since its inception. UN Women Sudan Office focuses its activities on one overarching goal, namely, to support the Transitional government to deliver for women as well as working to strengthen the women movement in Sudan existing to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment agenda in line with the National priorities and International commitments. In support of this goal, and thoroughly taking into consideration the specificities of the Sudan context, UN Women concentrates its efforts working on strengthening the gender architecture in Sudan, Gender and economy; governance and political participation of women; women, peace and security, and promoting women’s rights , and protection and prevention from violence against women
Devoirs et responsabilités
Reporting to the Program Specialist , the Communications Associate supports the formulation and implementation of the communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women with partners, the media and the public. The Communications Associate will undertake the following tasks, duties and responsibilities:
Provide support in the development of a coherent CO communications and advocacy strategy
- Ensure that the CO strategy is developed in a manner that strongly positions the CO as the hub for gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Provide background information for the development of the CO’s communication strategy;
- Provide support to advocacy efforts and campaigns by organizing roundtable discussions, press conferences, and other publicity events and draft briefing materials and press releases, as necessary.
- Provide support to program and CO’s staff on UN Women corporate communications guidelines and printing norms;
- Prepare quality materials for presentation, press releases, speeches talking points and concept notes
- Support effective media relations with different media institutions in Sudan.
Provide support to the development of CO’s advocacy materials
- Identifying storylines and achievements within the CO for online and print publications; Draft press releases, newsletter, articles, key messages and other advocacy materials; support the translations, rewriting of information received for the local context;
Provide support to the management of the CO’s social media presence and website
- Ensure that the media strategies conceived, planned and implemented are in line with corporate guidelines to enhance the positioning of UN Women with the media, with a special focus on priority areas of concern for the CO.
- Identify, draft stories from the field that highlights the strengths of the CO and ensure that stories and other significant press releases are projected in the UN Women’s social media channels.
- Provide input to the development of content for the CO’s website hosted at the Regional Office and social media channels
Facilitate knowledge management and sharing
- Contribute to the identification of best practices and lessons learned;
- Organize trainings and workshops on communication practices;
- Provide/ exchange information with HQ and RO,
- Other Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor;
- Provide support when needed on special web/digital/media projects undertaken by the CO.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely inputs to communication and advocacy materials
- Timely organization of discussions, conferences, briefings and other events
- Timely provision of relevant background information
- Accurately edited and well written contents
- Timely delivery of high quality communication and advocacy materials
- Webpages are regularly maintained, updated and relevant
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality
- Strong event planning skills
- Strong knowledge of social media and communication strategies and methods
- Ability to identify relevant events and stories and communicate them to a mass audience
- Strong multimedia skills
Qualifications et expériences requises
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education required;
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations or Journalism is an asset.
- At least 4 years of progressively responsible experience in providing support to the formulation and implementation of internal and external communications and advocacy strategies and related plans;
- Experience in the use of computers applications and software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) as well as web based management systems;
- Experience in the use of social media and digital communications.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of another official UN language.
Please note that applications without a completed and signed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
UN Women Personal History form (P-11) can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment .
UNWOMEN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.