The UN Secretary-General established the UN SDG Action Campaign to inspire people and organizations from all backgrounds and every part of the world to take actions to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, while holding decision-makers to account for progress society-wide. The UN SDG Action Campaign is hosted and supported by UNDP and is based in Bonn (Germany) with a lean team that marshals rapid support for new initiatives as opportunities arise and provides partners with on-demand strategic creative services that inspire SDG action with an engaged community of activists and concerned individuals.
The UN SDG Action Campaign is working closely with cities and local governments to showcase how they are actively contributing to implement Agenda 2030, accelerating transformative action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals for all, and everywhere. The UN SDG Action Campaign, together with the office of UNDP in Rwanda are supporting the City of Kigali to implement the Rainwater Harvesting and Smart Waste Management project in Mpazi and Busanza settlements, one of the winners of the 2021 Global Mayors Challenge.
Within this context, the UN SDG Action Campaign is seeking to recruit a Project Engineer to support the implementation of the Global Mayors Challenge in Kigali.
The project is addressing the issue of affordable water and smart waste collection in the two recently upgraded neighborhoods, one located in the informal settlement of Mpazi ravine sub-catchment area, Gitega Sector Nyarugenge District, and another in a resettlement of Busanza, populated by people who formerly lived in Kangondo, Nyarutarama.
In order to afford the high cost of water provision, while improving sanitation services, the project focus on promoting the use of rain water collected and distributed into house units, to be used as an alternative affordable water source in addition to commercial (WASAC) water provision. The project also include a new system of waste collection, directly collected from households through segregated waste bins, improving the living conditions of residents.
The project comprises interventions in the two sites located in Mpazi and Busanza and are focused on constructing rain harvesting systems and smart waste collection systems. The works will include construction of underground rain water reservoirs with its water distribution mechanism into the already identified buildings, one for each site ( Mpazi & Busanza), and also installation of seven stations of smart waste collection bins in total.
The Project Engineer will support UNDP and City of Kigali in supervising on-site construction works for the project, and will liaise with contractors and report the construction work and quality.
Devoirs et responsabilités
The Project Engineer, under the supervision of Project Manager and City of Kigali, will work with the UNDP-UN SDG Action Campaign team to do the following:
- Check plans, engineering drawings and quantities for accuracy of project calculations;
- Ensure that all materials used and work performed are as per project specifications;
- Manage, monitor and interpret the contract design documents supplied by the contractor and reports provided by the supervision firms;
- Supervise day-to-day construction works of the project and report on daily basis to the project manager;
- Plan the work and efficiently organize the project construction and site facilities in order to meet agreed deadlines and providing advice to resolve any unexpected technical difficulties and other problems that may arise;
- Oversee quality control of facilities and services under implementation;
- Assess and certify contractors payment claims as well as assisting the Social Safeguard specialist and agreed community activities on technical matters.
- Advise the implementing partners on general construction management and monitoring.
- Ensure project activities are carried out in adherence to sound social and environmental safeguards as described in the ESMF.
The Project Engineer will report directly to the Project Supervisor, who is managing this project in collaboration with the technical team of UNDP Rwanda and the City of Kigali.
|Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work.
|Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking.
|Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning.
|Adapt with Agility:
|Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process.
|Act with Determination:
|Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously.
|Engage and Partner:
|Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships.
|Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
|Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considres in decision making.
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies:
|Business Direction & Strategy
|Collective Intelligence Design
|Integration within the UN
|Digital & Innovation
Qualifications et expériences requises
Min. Education requirements
Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering or closely related fields, or a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or closely related fields, with four (4) years of relevant work experience,is required.
Min. years of relevant work experience
A minimum of two (2) years with Master’s Degree or four (4) years with Bachelor’s Degree of relevant work experience in supervisinExprg construction projects, is required.
Experience in liaising with multiple partners on construction projects is required.
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
Professional experience focusing on client management and working with a diverse team is an advantage.
Experience working with local or regional governments is an advantage.
Experience working on construction projects related to water and sanitation is an advantage.
Proficiency in English and/or French language is required.
Fluency in 2 other national languages (Swahili & Kinywarwanda) is an added advantage.
Having a Civil Engineer Certification is required.
The following documents shall be required from the participants:
- Personal CV - indicating all part positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three (3) references.
- Cover letter - indicating why the candidate considers him/herself to be suitable for the position.